The absolute best, judging-worthy Kemper profiles?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Promit, May 25, 2015.

1. Promit

Promit Member

I have a Kemper, and I'm currently somewhat unhappy with it. I don't feel like it's an amazing sounding, two thousand dollar device. Can someone suggest profiles that will absolutely establish, beyond a shadow of a doubt, whether I want to continue owning one? As in, "if you don't like the sound of this profile, you don't like the sound of a Kemper period".

I imagine this is somewhat personal of course, but please share what profiles really do it for you. TAF, M.Britt, and44 are some of the popular ones I know...
    (Free would be nice but let's not limit ourselves.)

2. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

I found that several loaded profiles I initially didn't like........ actually were quite good once I tinkered with the EQ a bit to fit my rig.

I mainly got the Kemper to profile my own amps and like them quite well.

Not sure of your musical taste but Tim Owens did a bunch pretty darn good mid to high gain stuff .... all free!

Good luck.

3. RLD

RLD Member

What is your monitoring situation?
    My fav's are M.Britt 70's Marshalls from pack#2 via CLR.

4. db9091

db9091 Member

You'd have to give more information. What profiles do you like, or think are the best so far that you have/use. What guitars are you using, what is your signal chain to speaker setup.

Otherwise it sounds like an "I don't like ice cream. Can someone give me a flavor I might like?" post. What is your favorite guitar/amp pairing?

5. Promit

Promit Member

I'd kinda like to be surprised, but I'm really looking for dry tones in the Marshall vein up through modern high gain stuff for hard rock and metal. I have some profiles I like - Recto Modern, 2203, etc but I don't feel blown away compared to my other equipment. I'd really like a good Deluxe Reverb patch and a good SLO patch. I'm going direct to near field monitors and comparing with both the Axe Fx II and the Eleven Rack. Right now I feel like my Kemper isn't showing a huge advantage tonally over the 11r, which is confusing. I do feel like the Axe is delivering what I expect. And maybe that's just how I feel about these devices and that's that, but I'd like to give the Kemper a solid chance. I feel like my experience is not what people are saying it should be.

I think I'm quite sensitive to excess fizz or low end rolloff, at least in messing with IRs. SM57 recordings tend to have the fizz problem a lot. So partly it's maybe about just finding full bodied profiles?

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  6. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I didn't like any of the profiles they came with 2 years ago.... My faves are TAF's Trainwreck and MBritts Marshall and Divided by 13 profiles....

7. mody

mody Member

Same here, the older profiles were meh, except for the legendary Morgan AC20 on the free rig exchange. Things are different now, mbritts latest vintage and modern packs are on another level, happy picker here!

8. sventvkg

sventvkg Member

Man, I don't know what the problem is...It's EASY to get a KILLER tone on hundreds of profiles for me in seconds...but I can get a killer town in seconds on any decent amp of piece of kit. The problem can only be you or you have a VERY specific type of tone you use.

There are SO many ways to shape your tone provides thst the profile is done correctly that it's almost laughable. Sorry man but it's not the amp.

9. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

There are so many good profiles. I went through this when I got my Kemper as well. I currently prefer merged profiles with power amp and guitar cab.

Try the free Tim Owens Friedman profiles on the Kemper forums. I have a bunch of Splawn profiles on the Rig Exchange for free that Tim actually helped me out creating. The Mbritt stuff is solid. The Vrad Studios JCM800 is stellar. TAF's SLO profiles kill.

cragginshred likes this.
  10. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Britts Fried A Hole 4 is one badass profile for balls n chunk. His Marshalls are great, and the EVH5150III too. Hell, all of them are cool. It just depends on what youre after.
    MPachecos Morgan AC20 as already mentioned is the tits. Tapp Marzian for modern metal, its easily the best Ive ever heard for that stuff.

cragginshred likes this.
  11. TheAmpFactory

TheAmpFactory Member

@Promit. & FYI, And44 IS TheAmpFactory (TAF).. : )

And I'm surprised to be in the same sentence as Mbritt, I figured he had taken over the profiler world. - so thanks for the name drop! :)

12. jerryratpack

jerryratpack Gold Supporting Member

You may want to to try thru a power amp and cab, (which I never did ) even though you sure getting stellar results thru the monitors with the axe fx and 11 r.

Could be you just prefer those units over the kemper , maybe it's length of time with the kemper vs the other two, or maybe the unit is just not for you. Maybe the 11r and axe fx are giving you exactly what you want and the kemper is not giving you that over the top tones you were expecting , or you just haven't found the right combination of amp cab effects yet ?

When I owned the kemper, ( I sold it, but not because of lack of tone happiness, it was killer thru my Adam 7x and I even enjoyed many free factory profiles and free exchange profiles ( Erik legacy was killer ) but also the factory profiles with a twist of a few knobs ( bass, minds, gain, throw in the internal boost, and bam! There it was ) let alone the killer amp factory profiles... I sold it before Britt came out so I can't comment on that. Honestly aside for the sparkles fender sounds, I found everything else very easily, but we are all different.... There are many people who prefer the axe fx over the kemper, and some even prefer their 11r , or so I read anyway.

But we all have our own gear, set of ears, and what we want to hear in our head, so it's hard to say.

I never seemed to get the real fender experience out of my monitors, and I really think it was my adam7x , and my inexperience at dialing in that cause me lack of fender sparkle . I think now, with a clr I might find it different, but my mid gains and high gains were so good, I was always pleased.

I found my fender Sounds, The room sounds, I get better with certain software sims but only thru headphones.. I know it's heresy to say this, but this was my experience.

I am sure it is how I am dialing them in, but this was my experience.. I can't reproduce them thru my A7x to my full expectations from any modeler.

But please turn knobs and change cabs and see what happens. The kemper was stellar from my point of view Out of the box, I had instant satisfaction from my ears and it certainly delivered to me everything except that exceptional fender tube sound, but again, that was me with my equipment, ears, and tone expectations.

I eventually will go back to the axe fx 2 and / or a kemper one day, but for now, my mid level units are very good and I am having a blast ...

13. dto

dto Member

For more modern metal type stuff, have you tried the Lasse Lammert Signature Rig Pack from the Support > Downloads > Additional Factory rigs section of the Kemper site? If not, you should check those out. Also try some of the free profiles that Sinmix puts out (you can find those in the "Free rigs" section of the Kemper forum). MBritt and The Amp Factory are great for Soldano and vintage Fender profiles.

14. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

Quit being so humble. Your stuff is absolutely stellar. :aok