The Allman Brothers "Big House" Museum

Jim Daddy

Took a tour through the Big House on my way back from Florida. If you ever travel I-75 in Georgia, do yourself a favor and take the tour. This IS Mecca
for any musician who likes the Allman Brothers. 5 minutes off exit 164 in Macon, Georgia. Here is the link:
https://thebighousemuseum.com. I couldn't get a good angle on this shot due to the glare on the showcase, but here is Duane's 1957 Les Paul Gold Top
on loan. Recently sold for $1.25 mil.

Attachments

• layla.jpg
    layla.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 97

Blooby

Been there several times but am overdue. I usually get a bite and a beer at the Rookery (ort the H &H), which is the same neck of the woods.

The thing that excited me the most was the little toy police car that Wood used to keep on top of his amp. Funny how that struck me.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
Been there several times but am overdue. I usually get a bite and a beer at the Rookery (ort the H &H), which is the same neck of the woods.

The thing that excited me the most was the little toy police car that Wood used to keep on top of his amp. Funny how that struck me.
It was a fire truck the times I saw him, along with a placard that read “funky as ****.” “Woody,” btw.

Gary

Silver Supporting Member
This is appropriate, been 5 years to the day, listening to some Gregg as I type. I visited the big house, been 25 years ago now. I sure do miss those guys.

smokinop

Silver Supporting Member
I grew up just outside of Macon and have been to the Big House many, many times. Mostly before when it was Kirk & Kirsten West' home. Kirk had a small museum on the bottom floor. Many good times there.

Visited 2 years ago and it's awesome. Anyone who goes should also visit Rose Hill cemetery to pay their respects to Duane, Berry and Gregg. Also Elizabeth Jones Reed Napier.
Also there's a statue there of "Little Martha", as it is called. I went to high school a few miles from Rose Hill, spent just about all of my lunch's in my senior year there, as it was very quiet there allowing us to do what we did at lunch in the 70's. I have taken many travelers coming into the cemetery directly to all of the important graves. Most would thank me by inviting them to join them in what they came to do, honor Duane & Berry by burning one there.

Been a few years since I've been. Also check out Georgia Allman Brothers Band Association, GABBA for short. They have a festival every year around Sept./Oct. with great music & weekend of events centered around ABB, Capricorn and the likes. A great time to visit Macon

Gary

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I remember Gabba fest, seems like it was the very first one they had. Mule played that night, I think Allen was still around for that. We got to go inside Capricorn studios, and also the Georgia Music Hall of Fame, I don't think the Hall was officially opened yet. Went over to H&H, had a bite there, afterwards, I was waiting on the sidewalk for my wife to come out, my wife asked MamaLou if she would take a picture with me, MamaLou asked " is he good lookin"??. I still got that pic around here somewhere.

ZeyerGTR

Took a tour through the Big House on my way back from Florida. If you ever travel I-75 in Georgia, do yourself a favor and take the tour. This IS Mecca
for any musician who likes the Allman Brothers. 5 minutes off exit 164 in Macon, Georgia. Here is the link:
https://thebighousemuseum.com. I couldn't get a good angle on this shot due to the glare on the showcase, but here is Duane's 1957 Les Paul Gold Top
on loan. Recently sold for $1.25 mil.
I've driven past the exit on I75 many times on family trips, and one of these days we need to carve out an afternoon to visit. It's been on the radar for sure. Glad to hear it's worth the time. I didn't realize it was so close to the interstate.

smokinop

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I remember Gabba fest, seems like it was the very first one they had. Mule played that night, I think Allen was still around for that. We got to go inside Capricorn studios, and also the Georgia Music Hall of Fame, I don't think the Hall was officially opened yet. Went over to H&H, had a bite there, afterwards, I was waiting on the sidewalk for my wife to come out, my wife asked MamaLou if she would take a picture with me, MamaLou asked " is he good lookin"??. I still got that pic around here somewhere.
Yep, Gov't Mule played one of the first, if not the first GABBAfest. They rehearsed and lived at the Big House when Kirk still owned the house. Mama Louise was a very sweet and hard working woman. Many many good time during GABBAfest weekend.

Jim Daddy

I've driven past the exit on I75 many times on family trips, and one of these days we need to carve out an afternoon to visit. It's been on the radar for sure. Glad to hear it's worth the time. I didn't realize it was so close to the interstate.
We live in east Tennessee, vacationing in St. Augustine. Macon is about half way. Wifey and I stopped by last year. This year took my daughter, son in law and grandson. Original plan was run in.....buy vinyl and t shirts....run out. After 1 1/2 hours and $400 later, we all left "enlightened."

Top Bottom