• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The Alt. Country Club:23 (Sounds good to me...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob 62

Fifteen years ago, I was hot to buy a pedal steel, and your Sho-Bud is exactly the model and color scheme I was after. Congratulations on a beautiful guitar.

I also have a '68 Twin Reverb - acquired from a pedal steel player in Southern Illinois in 1986. I had a lot of work done on it to bring it back to something close to stock, but then I got it for only $225.! Had Radio Shack speakers in it when I bought it - you get the idea.

I never did get a PSG, but I did own a 1950 Fender Dual Professional non-pedal steel (two eight-string necks) which I tuned A6, and E13. Got reasonably proficient in two years - but it took all of my play time, and I found I was ignoring my standard guitars. Eventually sold it to Steve Doyle, of the Hoyle Brothers.

Kitten Cannon

Yeah, those old Sho-Buds are up there with vintage Fender gear when it comes to aesthetics and vibe. I did almost all my gigging the last two years on a Pro I, but that's been kind of semi-retired for a while. I need to get it over to Bill Rudolph (of Williams) for a few copedent mods and a new knee lever on the right leg. I actually may just have him replace the two left levers too, because I like the Williams mechanics so well.

It's hard to believe I've been at it for two years already. I still feel totally lost, but my initial goal of being more marketable has succeeded beyond my wildest imagination and I've been able to keep pretty busy between guitar playing and the steel stuff. Fortunately my gig really pushes me to keep both polished.

Rob 62

Your Twin Reverb and that Sho-Bud are a match made in heaven. I more or less have hung on to my '68 Twin Reverb, just in case I resume my interest in the pedal steel. At the time I was playing the Fender steel guitar, I had more than one pedal steel player telling me that it would be easier to learn the PSG. I didn't see how that was possible!

Anyway - the steel playing, ultimately, contributed a lot to my understanding of music, and subsequently, probably made a better standard guitar player out of me.

So, you are on to something!

Smiletone

Those are pretty nice...I started pedal steel 20 years ago when I was 19....took me 4-5 years before I was comfortable taking it out but keep playing....its a dying art form and its good to see steel players in here. I play mine through a 78 Twin Reverb or my old reliable Peavey Session 400.

mdrake34

So mine finally came today. Played my prs Bernie marsden with SD 59 and 59/custom pickups, signal chain was tuner - SF - catalinbread dls mkIII - catalinbread fn5 - Timmy - ibanez ad9 - catalinbread belle epoch - fender NOS blues jr.

Holy crap. I get it now. Never played a klon or klon but I'm loving it. Makes everything sound better. I've got the gain at 9:00(though my buddy is already telling me to turn the gain all the way off) treble at 11:30 and volume around 1:00. I don't know what the hell low miss or Krystal's lettuce sounds like, but this thing is awesome.

Got my soul food finally, posted this in hone main SF thread.

Grant Ferstat

Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...
Got my soul food finally, posted this in hone main SF thread.
Magic with an actual Klon for me was actually not as a pure clean boost where the clipping diodes aren't engaged at all but as more of a slightly dirty boost verging on OD sort of tone. Gain at somewhere between 9 and 10 o'clock depending on the amp volume/guitar. I used it as a post OD solo boost.

My Soul Food should be here this week too.

mdrake34

Magic with an actual Klon for me was actually not as a pure clean boost where the clipping diodes aren't engaged at all but as more of a slightly dirty boost verging on OD sort of tone. Gain at somewhere between 9 and 10 o'clock depending on the amp volume/guitar. I used it as a post OD solo boost.

My Soul Food should be here this week too.
Lol, my buddy was just telling me the magical tone is gain off. I'll keep messing with it more. It added a lot of gain to my other dirt pedals with the gain at 9:00, I lowered the gain on the other pedals which helped and got a good sound.

I'd have paid 120 for it, at $62 it's stupid good.

Grant Ferstat

Lol, my buddy was just telling me the magical tone is gain off. I'll keep messing with it more. It added a lot of gain to my other dirt pedals with the gain at 9:00, I lowered the gain on the other pedals which helped and got a good sound.

I'd have paid 120 for it, at $62 it's stupid good.
Yeah a lot of people like the Klon as an always on or a clean boost with the gain at zero. That's cool, whatever works for you.

I actually run Klons after my other pedals not before them. The thing I like about the gain up a little bit is that there's a point where there's both a lower mid fattening and a bit of a presence boost that makes single notes really stand out with a good sort of authority. Go too far with the gain and for me things get a bit too nasally and for my tastes too saturated but, find that sweet spot and with the right rig they can sound really cool. Of course I wouldn't know whether the same knob settings work with the Soul Food or if I get the same effect until I get to try it.

mdrake34

Yeah a lot of people like the Klon as an always on or a clean boost with the gain at zero. That's cool, whatever works for you.

I actually run Klons after my other pedals not before them. The thing I like about the gain up a little bit is that there's a point where there's both a lower mid fattening and a bit of a presence boost that makes single notes really stand out with a good sort of authority. Go too far with the gain and for me things get a bit too nasally and for my tastes too saturated but, find that sweet spot and with the right rig they can sound really cool. Of course I wouldn't know whether the same knob settings work with the Soul Food or if I get the same effect until I get to try it.
My Timmy is post dirt and also slightly dirty. My main dirts are catalinbread amps in boxes, so it's like I'm slamming the front end of a marshal plexi and tweed deluxe, respectively, with the a SF.

Grant Ferstat

My Timmy is post dirt and also slightly dirty. My main dirts are catalinbread amps in boxes, so it's like I'm slamming the front end of a marshal plexi and tweed deluxe, respectively, with the a SF.
Yeah I'm a bit odd I guess both in my Klon and Timmy use.

Timmy has been my main OD since 2005. It's actually at the beginning of my chain closest to my guitar in most scenarios. The Klon or other any other solo boost has always run after it. The idea is that adding the boost gives me more volume rather than just added saturation and compression and fills in the mids that the Timmy (which is pretty open in that respect) doesn't add. Really though both boxes have always been run really low gain so in a way one could be considered a rhythm pusher/EQ, the other a solo pusher/EQ. Amps are usually at the onset of clipping.

Don Rusk

BearFoot FX Owner
Vendor
.... Ive been playing the EHX batch more this past week (I think Ill pass on the log...;))

My first pass was with a PAFd Les Paul ....... Went with a '57 strat and had a very different reaction.....duh on the tonal differences in the guitars....... but it was funny, with the single coils that didnt already have the PAF mid hump I really liked the SF alot more and the Glove alot less ....

triggercut

I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on a Jazzmaster Blacktop (they're on clearance at Musicians Friend). I figure that if I do succumb, I can invest a few bucks on a Mustang bridge to replace the sure-to-be-crappy stock Jazzmaster bridge (I speak from some personal experience on this matter with other Jazzmasters I've had). I like the idea of the bridge humbucker and the stripped-down controls that this model features, and for that price....I think I'll give myself a couple of days to mull it over.

Don Rusk

BearFoot FX Owner
Vendor
I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on a Jazzmaster Blacktop (they're on clearance at Musicians Friend). I figure that if I do succumb, I can invest a few bucks on a Mustang bridge to replace the sure-to-be-crappy stock Jazzmaster bridge (I speak from some personal experience on this matter with other Jazzmasters I've had). I like the idea of the bridge humbucker and the stripped-down controls that this model features, and for that price....I think I'll give myself a couple of days to mull it over.
.... Ive been mulling Jazzmasters lately - it hit me the other day that i have never owned one before, though I had a real '63 JM neck on my Strat and dumped it as it was too small....... Im thinking hybrid with a big fat Jeff Beck Neck or Tele or something..... any huge neck offsets to be aware of ?

triggercut

I always just stuck with the necks that were on the ones that I had (they were both MIJ models, probably should have hung on to one of them). Don't really remember how those necks were, but I seem to recall that at the time they were fine for me. Looking on the Warmoth website just now they offer a ton of options for Jazzmaster replacement necks, so that might be worth looking at.

Don Rusk

BearFoot FX Owner
Vendor
I always just stuck with the necks that were on the ones that I had (they were both MIJ models, probably should have hung on to one of them). Don't really remember how those necks were, but I seem to recall that at the time they were fine for me. Looking on the Warmoth website just now they offer a ton of options for Jazzmaster replacement necks, so that might be worth looking at.
...... yeah Ive returned to my ebay troll mode......... I have found the best way to not buy things you dont need is to avoid ebay....oh well.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom