The Alt.Country Club 33: Thirty Three and a Third

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bobbofallenstar, Mar 25, 2015.

1. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides! Silver Supporting Member

Above and @Crowder 's post got me doing a little way-back diving. @lakesider, I knew about the Del-Lords, the Yayhoos, and the Bottle Rockets, but didn't know about your work with Run-DMC, Mojo Nixon, and Joan Jett. You certainly have gotten around, sir! Hats off to ya'! :D

2. jota

jota Member

How would you guys compare the mid range of a 10" vs. a 12" version of the same speaker?

3. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I don't hear much difference in the mids, honestly. It's the low E where you sometimes notice something missing in a 10" speaker. I tend to like how that works for my tone in a band setting. I might feel differently if I played really clean a lot.

s360guitarist, jota and LordByron like this.
  4. LordByron

That's exactly the reason I loved my old 68 drip edge Bassman 4x10. Damn I miss that amp. :(

Crowder likes this.
  5. alamere

alamere Supporting Member

I had an early Fulltone Fulldrive II, the original 69 fuzz, a Klon, a Prescription Electronics "yardbox"... and likely some others.. once analogman came around, I grabbed a compressor and fuzz from him. I was one of the first people to buy a comprosser.. I remember that my first comprosser pedal was labeled "#23". I freaking loved that thing.
    Honestly, even though I have the Cali, there are still times when I want to trade it out for a ross style compressor.
    Them were the days!!!
    The Fulldrive became my go to pedal for years.. and since then, I've always gotten along with having a dual-boost overdrive of some type on my board.

6. lakesider

lakesider Member

You got that right!
    I had their record and was a fan (Replacements).
    It was all downhill after that!
    Del-Fuegos were very green. Nice, young.

Bobbofallenstar, Knobby and shikawkee like this.
  7. Crowder

I liked Dan Zanes' first solo record quite a bit. I never got his albums for kids but I've heard they're very well done.

lakesider likes this.
  8. Desolation Angel

Desolation Angel Supporting Member

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Honestly, I have no idea what I am... Yesterday morning I made a strummy folky tune that I rather liked... then last night I had an entire sorta Thin Lizzy-ish track tumble out. I just love guitars; playing, collecting, learning, fiddling... and I love the act of recording, mixing and polishing a tune or two. I certainly started out a hard rocker in the 70s/80s but definitely listen to a lot more indie, folk and folk rock these days. My Alt-C revolves around Wilco type of things... but this is the only thread I really participate in, now.

9. shikawkee

shikawkee Mad King Edmund Gold Supporting Member

Don't leave the boat! There are a few threads I feel I could add to but resist constantly. Not worth it (except the fuzz thread which is usually civil). We have a great group here and lot of knowledge all around as well. A++ to all of youse'!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  10. LordByron

Those kids albums were great. Wore them out for my kids when they were little.

Crowder likes this.
  11. Crowder

I had a pre-CBS Super Reverb when I was a youngster. It sounded like a choir of angels, and weighed as much. However, 4x10 and 1x10's aren't very comparable in terms of low end production.

The formula for determining the sheer amount bass you can get from a speaker cabinet basically comes down to the total area of speaker cone material involved. Remember the old Bose 901's with something like a dozen 3" drivers? Plenty of bass, and very responsive due to the small cone size and short excursion.

A 1x12 has somewhat more cone area than a 1x10 and will go lower, but a 2x10 will generate more bass than a 1x12 cab, and so forth. A 1x15 will give you a ton of bass but it's hard to make them move quickly without a giant magnet.

I've always wondered why there was never a demand for 4x8 cabinets for guitar. Probably cause they'd look sort of funny to us, and there aren't many/any 8" speakers designed for guitar. But it would seem to give you a good compromise of size/weight, frequency range and punch.

LordByron and shikawkee like this.
  12. Desolation Angel

Desolation Angel Supporting Member

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Phil Jones always seems to do amazing things with low end with small drivers... I have his Cub acoustic amp and occasionally ran a bass through it before I got the PF20T.

13. lakesider

lakesider Member

My Fulldrive II served duty on my board(s) for a long time. Before the HCTroubador and through that whole period.
    Scott Kempner is using it now with my Grommet under the comp cut knob so volume would never ever drop.
    That's a workhorse of a box.

14. LordByron

True enough. That having been said, there was something about the mid-range response in that amp that I've never found again. Maybe it wasn't the 4 10s. It could be just the whole is greater than the sum of it parts, but that amp in a band setting was unbeatable. Dumbest sale I've ever made. While I could get another one, the venues we play these days would never let me crank it to it's sweet spot. Ah, for the past glory days of unlimited stage volume. :p (Of course, that's why I can't hear worth a damn these days, but c'est la vie.)

Crowder and lakesider like this.
  15. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

If ya'll could pick one amp to gig under the current climate of not being able to really crank the way we used to... What would it be?

16. LordByron

Heresy, I know, but: Helix. Modeling is the only practical way I've found to balance my desires for tone, stage volume limits, and mixing with the band.

I still love my 5e5 and my Voxi and my Dual Citizen absolutely rocks, but for the gigs I play, the Helix just makes the compromises so much easier to manage.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Braunzo and Crowder like this.
  17. shikawkee

shikawkee Mad King Edmund Gold Supporting Member

Honestly I love, love, love my Hamstead and it's only 20 watts but still a heavy beast and best for the studio. I'm more likely to use my 12 watt V-185 or even my trusty Carvin vintage 16. I can just get that amp right at the edge of crusty goodness without making my ears ring.

Braunzo likes this.
  18. Neer

Neer Member

Thanks, Ed. No offense taken.
    It is what it is, which is what I wanted it to be.

LordByron, Andy J., ShawnH and 3 others like this.
  19. Crowder

Hate to agree with this, but modelers are getting awfully good. I'm sure I could gig through my favorite S-Gear settings, as long as the stage monitoring was good.

As it is, the Tone King Iron Man II has been the solution for me. It was hard to spend $400 on an attenuator but I'm glad I did.

Braunzo and shikawkee like this.
  20. jota

jota Member

DRRi or my London pro head with the DRRi cab when I really need to be very quiet.
    If that's too loud, maybe I should be at home...

Braunzo and Crowder like this.