1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Alt.Country Club 33: Thirty Three and a Third

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bobbofallenstar, Mar 25, 2015.

1. lakesider

lakesider Member

My Fulldrive II served duty on my board(s) for a long time. Before the HCTroubador and through that whole period.
    Scott Kempner is using it now with my Grommet under the comp cut knob so volume would never ever drop.
    That's a workhorse of a box.

2. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides! Supporting Member

True enough. That having been said, there was something about the mid-range response in that amp that I've never found again. Maybe it wasn't the 4 10s. It could be just the whole is greater than the sum of it parts, but that amp in a band setting was unbeatable. Dumbest sale I've ever made. While I could get another one, the venues we play these days would never let me crank it to it's sweet spot. Ah, for the past glory days of unlimited stage volume. :p (Of course, that's why I can't hear worth a damn these days, but c'est la vie.)

Crowder and lakesider like this.
  3. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

If ya'll could pick one amp to gig under the current climate of not being able to really crank the way we used to... What would it be?

4. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides! Supporting Member

Heresy, I know, but: Helix. Modeling is the only practical way I've found to balance my desires for tone, stage volume limits, and mixing with the band.

I still love my 5e5 and my Voxi and my Dual Citizen absolutely rocks, but for the gigs I play, the Helix just makes the compromises so much easier to manage.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Braunzo and Crowder like this.
  5. shikawkee

shikawkee Mad King Edmund Gold Supporting Member

Honestly I love, love, love my Hamstead and it's only 20 watts but still a heavy beast and best for the studio. I'm more likely to use my 12 watt V-185 or even my trusty Carvin vintage 16. I can just get that amp right at the edge of crusty goodness without making my ears ring.

Braunzo likes this.
  6. Neer

Neer Member

Thanks, Ed. No offense taken.
    It is what it is, which is what I wanted it to be.

LordByron, Andy J., ShawnH and 3 others like this.
  7. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Hate to agree with this, but modelers are getting awfully good. I'm sure I could gig through my favorite S-Gear settings, as long as the stage monitoring was good.

As it is, the Tone King Iron Man II has been the solution for me. It was hard to spend $400 on an attenuator but I'm glad I did.

Braunzo and shikawkee like this.
  8. jota

jota Member

DRRi or my London pro head with the DRRi cab when I really need to be very quiet.
    If that's too loud, maybe I should be at home...

Braunzo and Crowder like this.
  9. hubberjub

hubberjub Silver Supporting Member

I'm actually in the market for a new (to me) amp right now. I want to keep with a 15" speaker (like in my Vibrosonic), but I need something that isn't going to break on me every few months. Also, the fewer knobs the better. I like the looks of the new Supro line. Either the Thunderbolt, or the Rhythm Master would fit the bill, but I don't have anywhere to test them out. There was also a dude in the emporium selling a tweed Pro copy that sent me down a Youtube wormhole yesterday. Something along those lines would work fine, as well. 25-30 watts. I could dig that.

alamere, ChrisFFTA, Braunzo and 2 others like this.
  10. lakesider

lakesider Member

My 12" Pro Jr and Dr Z Carmen Ghia have both performed flawlessly for years on gig after gig in tons of different situations. Always get compliments about my "sound". Rarely have trouble with Sound persons.

11. shikawkee

shikawkee Mad King Edmund Gold Supporting Member

I did vote for you in the Grammy's so there's that <g>.

LordByron likes this.
  12. Crowder

I can imagine. I think 15-20 watts and one speaker plus a volume knob and a tone knob is where it's at. Loud enough for a club, easy enough to mic.

I can understand why some people need a thick-sounding closed-back cab, but they aren't playing any sort of stuff I'm listening to.

13. lakesider

lakesider Member

When he told me about his "idea" I really thought he was nuts... Like "ok". In the beginning he was doing a lot of the recording himself too.

Bobbofallenstar and LordByron like this.
  14. Knobby

Knobby Member

Tough...

Been gigging my '66 Princeton Reverb (with a 12") quite a bit. Also been hammering my Carr Rambler for years at this point. Mayyybe a touch smaller Carr?? Possibly a Sportsman/Merc/Skylark (haven't played any of them), but I would have no doubt about one of those fitting the parameters of the question posed.

15. Crowder

I was just looking at my mortgage statement and realized that from this month forward, my monthly payment has less going toward interest than going toward escrow. That's gotta be some kind of midlife milestone.

Working in investments through the financial crisis was like slamming my balls in a car door over and over again...but at least I got a 3% fixed mortgage out of it. Yin/yang.

16. Crowder

I think I could really go for one of those 12-18 watt Carrs, but knowing my personality, I'd always be wondering if I had the right one of the bunch at any given time.

LordByron, Knobby and shikawkee like this.
  17. alamere

alamere Supporting Member

Still really depends on the gig a bit.. I had one of the newer AC10 re-issues that I played several shows last summer where my TEX was just too loud for. 10 watts and a 10" speaker, and honestly it did GREAT. Big fan of those amps.

Assuming it's ok to be at a more normal volume, either the TEX or JMI AC15 work great as single amps that don't crank out the volume of an AC30. The 30's that I've owned, have honestly just been too loud for a lot of the smaller rooms I've found myself playing in the last 10 years..

I've never gotten a modeler to work, partly because while they seem easy.. they're more work than just bringing a small amp that is at the appropriate volume (at least they are at the venues I've played at)
    If I could count the times I set down an amp, plugged in my board and guitar and was ready to roll... while I watched a guy with a modeling setup of some sort fiddle with his rig and try to figure out his monitoring situation for 1/2hr... . in my opinion, it's not always the best solution, or the best sounding.
    a lot like in ear monitors that all the kids are starting to carry with them....
    Same scenario. They require manpower to be effective..

18. Crowder

If I were to try and find an issue with my TEX it would be that it is pretty beamy. Small speaker, small cab, raunchy tone = can seem like it's cutting through you.

When I was practicing with the band, I'd put it in front of me, sometimes on the other side of the room. If I had it behind me it would beam the drummer's face off even when it didn't seem that loud to me.

s360guitarist and alamere like this.
  19. Knobby

Knobby Member

About to bust out the soldering iron on the Gretsch G6128T-TVP Power Jet. It has the funky tone switch of "mud/muddier" - which, thanks to this article: http://www.theguitarmagazine.com/features/20-gretsch-top-tips/ I was swayed into doing a cap mod on said switch.

Hence, if everything you read on the internet is indeed true, it might make the switch somewhat useful instead of it being the "holy-f what's wrong with my tone - oh, no I hit that fargin' mud switch accidentally again" switch.

I overpaid for 2 caps and shipping from TV Jones, but it still cost me less than a good pizza. Warm up the Weller! :JAM

20. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

My Magic Brit EF86 head (single channel prototype) works well.

We play at reasonably low stage volumes to keep seven pieces with lotsa bg vocals from turning to mud so my amp is almost never cranked (quiet drummer helps) ...plus our material is varied and I need to be able chime and jangle a lot more than crunch.

I have been through about 50+ mostly low gain overdrives in the past few years and I have kept just a handful that are pick responsive and that work well with a mostly clean amp and my Tele.

-bEn r.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018