The Alt.Country Club 33: Thirty Three and a Third

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bobbofallenstar, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I left retail in 2004. I met most of my band mates and a lot of my best friends during my store days. There are times that I miss the camaraderie of work mates who share your passion. I actually accomplished more musically though after I left MI retail for a whole bunch of reasons.

2. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides! Supporting Member

Very cool! I would have loved to see that!

+1 on @RomanS’ suggestion of the Westlicht Museum. It’s a must for camera nuts.

I was primarily a Minolta shooter (with a smattering of Oly) back in my earlier days and ended up following their gear line to Sony when they purchased it. One of the things that I loved about Minolta (beyond their super intuitive eyes-closed UI ethic) was how well their bodies played with old school M42 mount lenses. I spent a long time collecting M42 glass and the fact I was able to use it with the convenience of more modern bodies was great. Even better, as Sony advanced into morrorless, they not only continued to permit this, but actively built features into the system that made it easier and easier and more attractive to use not just M42 lenses, but all kinds of other mounts with their mirrorless bodies. I have a small handful of nice Sony/Minolta glass (some modern, some not) but my favorites are the vintage (and sometimes weird ones) from Leica, Cosina, Leitz, Yashica, Jupiter, etc. Some of that old glass is amazing. :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  3. gravy

gravy Member

4. lakesider

lakesider Member

I never saw anybody use the Grolsch washers like that on pedals as pictured in Isbell's rig.
    That's a really good idea!

Knobby, hubberjub, Prof.Fuzz and 5 others like this.
  5. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

And there are often great deals on the m12 on Reverb, like comparable to Ghia prices...

6. s360guitarist

Cue up some Thoreau.

Proof that you can have two quality builds coming from each end of the (complexity) spectrum. Having had a CG or two open and laid out on the floor, I knew which was which. LOL.

P.S. Can you send clips of them running in stereo? :rolleyes:

Edit: On a serious note, have you tried to get the CG and Lightning side to match up? (Tonally)

7. shikawkee

shikawkee Mad King Edmund Gold Supporting Member

Analogman sell them for that purpose and @Tom Von Kramm includes them in his pedal(s).
    Definitely a good idea to keep your settings.

8. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

I did that back when I had a pedalboard, but I used smaller rubber washers that were completely covered by the knobs. That makes even more sense IMO.

shikawkee and LordByron like this.
  9. erksin

erksin Member

Yeah I just get the proper sized rubber washers from the plumbing aisle in the hardware store.

10. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

The rubber doohickeys work really well for certain knobs. I included them because I am a "set and forget" guy and I hate when my settings get changed. But I assume that most of them get tossed in the trash or lost in a drawer. ;)

11. lakesider

lakesider Member

I used to have a rubber grommet on the pull knob "comp cut" on my old Fulldrive 2 to keep it from going down in volume if bumped but not to 'save settings'.

12. s360guitarist

Need somebody to drink the beer so you can keep the washers? Oh wait, NY Resolutions.

Knobby, LordByron, lakesider and 5 others like this.
  13. MattH

MattH Supporting Member

They don’t really sound all that similar, IMO. The mids are just in two different places. And neither one have a mid control! The way they break up is really different.

14. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

15. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I’ve done it for quite a while with certain pedals.

16. Desolation Angel

Desolation Angel Supporting Member

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Yeah, I’ve been to Vienna a couple of times but always on short hops for work, never made it to the Westlicht. Did one of our tour stops at the Wiener Konzerhaus, one of the cooler places I’ve been onstage. Fantastic acoustics. I remember they were so good I burst into song during setup!

I, too lith printed back in the 1990s. But, a bit like vinyl, I loved silver halide when it was all we had, but don’t miss it at all for work. Every once in a while I’ll throw a roll of Tri-X into an FM2, or a FP4 into the Hasselblad... and remember what a faff it all was.

I still have an old Russian briefcase enlarger that I’d like to restore one day. Maybe I’ll have a little darkroom for fun. Soup some film, make some prints. Maybe. But nothing gives me the speed, precision or flexibility of a digital camera and a digital darkroom, though. And no huffing of noxious fumes. I sometimes wonder if I knocked a few years off my life, sitting in the dark, listening to loud music, smoking cigarettes, and breathing in those fumes for hour after hour.

17. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

This showed up yesterday. Used it for a bit with the Pro Junior. This will be the ticket. Next step is trying it with the Deluxe Reverb.

The 4 position I do notice does something to the bass and makes it farty. But I think it just might be the amp driving and the speaker not moving.

hubberjub, LordByron, MattH and 6 others like this.
  18. s360guitarist

So reference the Gary Clark vid. It's great if you ask me. Really dig it. Wish it was absent of F bombs so they could play it on the radio...ha, play it on the radio - as if.

Interesting this and the Gambino video. This is Neil Young Ohio or u2 Sunday Bloody Sunday level IMO. People are to the point where they are putting thoughts in to action. (More than just bitchin on FB.)

See Matthew Ryan's post from a week or so back about the concept if threshold:

19. Bobbofallenstar

Bobbofallenstar Member

I love that documentary. The back of my head is in it at least once. I was at the Ameoba show in L.A.

Knobby, LordByron, MattH and 2 others like this.
  20. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I was going through an old box of stuff and found some lyrics and songs I'd forgotten from 20 years ago. I found some notes to myself about putting a band together. This one cracked me up:

"What would 'The River' sound like if it had been done by the Pixies?"

And on the art of building a band:

"Play with people you like but don't worship."

On the back is a parts/price list for a partsocaster I wanted to build.

I'm saving this crap for my Presidential Library.

Seance, hubberjub, Pablomago and 8 others like this.