The Alt.Country Club 33: Thirty Three and a Third

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bobbofallenstar, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Desolation Angel

Desolation Angel Supporting Member

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    I hope you follow David Burnett, somewhere out there. He’s one of THE greats of photography and has been at—seemingly—every major newsworthy event of the past fifty years. He graciously allowed me to use an edit of his images to teach a class—his images from covering Apollo 11. He loves shooting on old cameras and seeking out old lenses. I’ve seen him turn up to a function with an 8x10 camera under his arm. And there’s nothing quite like seeing someone, at a modern technological marvel like the Olympics, set up trackside, with a Speedgraphic... and then see him, later, in the press room, enveloped in a large black bag!

Here he is, trackside in Rio:

He’s a fantastic storyteller, too. Everyone keeps insisting that he should write a book, collecting all his stories. He’s worth following on Instagram just to read some of them.

As for lens mounts, one of the things I’ve always loved about Nikon is that they’ve allowed people to continue to use older F-mount lenses into the modern era. I have an old fisheye that I can use on a D850. It’ll even give me focus confirmation. And should I make the leap to Nikon Z I can adapt all of my lenses via the FTZ adapter.

2. erksin

erksin Member

Yeah I’ve been lamenting the very distinct lack of ‘protest songs’ being made today when it seems like it’s 1968 all over again. I think this is why I found this video so powerful. We need 100s more just like it. We need more ‘For What It’s Worth’ and ‘Street Fighting Man’ and ‘What’s Goin’ On?’ and ‘Fight The Power’ Etc.

This video was a good start. I hope it generates momentum...

3. Bobbofallenstar

Bobbofallenstar Member

So I have a fun and strange story to tell. It's totally alt.country based and fun and has a good ending.

When I was in Nashville recording with Ken Coomer we were talking about bands and stuff and Roxy Music came up. I'm a fan of RM in all their weirdness (totally not alt.country!) and we recorded out a rocking version of "Virginia Plain" and had a bit of fun with it.

A week later I am in Cleveland at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on the day that they announce the nominees for this year's "class" and Roxy is nominated. My friend's wife is the assistant director of the RnRHoF archives so we're hanging out in there and I meet her boss (who gets a vote) and I start threatening him to vote for Roxy. In a fun way and we are laughing. He tells me he was planning on voting for them. I tell him that if they get in - I'm taking credit for it.

Fast forward to me being back in CA and working on the tracks Ken and I recorded and I take a break and start scrolling Facebook and Phil Manzanera comes up as someone I might know because we have a bunch of mutual friends. Phil is/was, of course, the guitar player in Roxy Music.

So I write him a note, congratulating him on getting into the Rock Hall and how he can thank me for that - I tell him the whole story I told above and we have a nice back and forth and then I add - "I could use a kick ass solo on my version." And dig this - he says "Send it over, I'll put something on it."

And HE MOTHERDUCKING DID! I got it back today and it's perfect. I'm over the moon.

waylon, Andy J., Val Diaz and 32 others like this.
  4. John H

John H Silver Supporting Member

I'm not sure what the threshold is, anymore. Are we too self-interested? Too distracted? Too ignorant? I just don't know.

Karl Marx was paraphrased as having said, "Religion is the opiate of the people." In my mind, technology is the new "religion".

Andy J., hubberjub, LordByron and 3 others like this.
  5. Desolation Angel

WHOA!!!!! No DUCKING WAY!!!!! That's a phenomenal story!

Andy J., Knobby, LordByron and 3 others like this.
  6. shikawkee

shikawkee Mad King Edmund Gold Supporting Member

My old Nikkormat still takes the best photos. I gotta' find it around here one of these days.

LordByron and Tom Von Kramm like this.
  7. RomanS

RomanS Member

Yeah, that's what I liked about my Pentax SLRs - the forward compability of the lens mount, I had a ton of old PK-mount SMC lenses from the 70s that all worked on my first digital SLR, a Pentax K100D Super.
    But for the shooting experience I always preferred rangefinders to SLRs , unfortunately no affordable digital options there, a digital Leica costs more than my car, and even the Fuji options aren't really in my price range (as a pure hobbyist).

BTW, if I were a pro, I'd totally work digital only, but B&W darkroom work was at least as much about the process as it was about the result, I simply like doing stuff with my hands rather than on a screen, I could never work a desk job...

8. Desolation Angel

Or "popularity". It just seems like a giant popularity contest, these days...

LordByron and shikawkee like this.
  9. erksin

erksin Member

WHOA! That’s fantastic!

10. pdodge77

pdodge77 Supporting Member

I went and played the M12. It’s interesting. The prior owner installed the worst speaker in the history of electric guitar (Celestion Vintage 30), but it still sounded pretty good.

It was a little harsh in the highs for me. The speaker that blasts your ears with aural shards of glass probably takes the bulk of the blame for that.

It’s also a little stiff and lacking in compression for my tastes.

That said, it has great bottom end and surprising headroom for an amp of this power and size.

It’s a nice amp. Just not right for my needs/tastes.

Here’s the link if any of you want an M12 for $850.

@triggercut - it’s in Rockville if you’re looking to try one.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/In-Store-Used/Used-Z-amp-M12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp.gc

11. erksin

erksin Member

Yeah - I don’t whether to chalk it up to short attention spans, or over-saturation, or just plain apathy at this point. It’s really troubling to me regardless of the reason(s).

12. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

That’s ****ing incredible. Can’t wait to hear that.

13. triggercut

triggercut Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the heads-up, @pdodge77 !

LordByron, s360guitarist and pdodge77 like this.
  14. shikawkee

shikawkee Mad King Edmund Gold Supporting Member

15. pdodge77

pdodge77 Supporting Member

If you go, see if you can run it through a Greenback or G12H30 (didn’t see anything with a blue).

It looks to be in great condition and the price is right. It’s labeled $949 in the store but $849 online.

They also have a ‘78 Deluxe Reverb for $1,100. If it were a ‘76 and a little cheaper, I might have bought it.

16. triggercut

triggercut Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I think that it’d be an amp that I’d need an attenuator for, since I like to have an amp set in that edge of breakup range rather than super clean, but if it were something I really liked I could work with that. I’m pretty happy with the AC10, so it’s not like I’m actively looking for a new amp, but it might be fun to try out.

17. lakesider

lakesider Member

He's a friend of mine.
    His Bob Marley book is really tremendous.

Knobby, Pablomago, alamere and 3 others like this.
  18. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Your description is how I imagined the amp to sound. I bet a Greenback type speaker would pair a bit better.

pdodge77, Crowder, LordByron and 2 others like this.
  19. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

But you can add a bit of gain by getting the bass and treble up past noon so they say. Ya, he designed it as a base for pedals. It may not be best for getting edge of breakup with volume. I guess it is built to stay out of its own way.

20. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

So I’m kind of obsessed with building a dual mono or stereo looping and delay rig.

Rig to revolve around a couple fuzzes boosts Kingsley constable stereo power amp two cabs zvex Lo fi loop junky ehx dmm and some 16 second delay. Guitar? Gretsch w filtertrons and bigsby.

Ommmm