The Alt.Country Club 33: Thirty Three and a Third

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bobbofallenstar, Mar 25, 2015.

1. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

But here we are. Some are waiting for their threshold. Some are oblivious. Some are content.

The issue I have is the fine line of folks (me included) saying "I can't believe this happening" and "surely this can't get any worse" and 'what can little ol' me do about this".

LordByron and shikawkee like this.
  2. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

My personal theory (and not very popular I should point out) is that with all of the TV comedians doing their thing and the Facebook soapbox, people watch Trevor Noah et. al. do a critical skit, and then they repeat a meme or two on FB and they think they've done something. I have a few pet causes that I will support with my $ and with trips up to the local Capitol to sit on committees, or even just be part of the gallery. On 90% of these trips can you guess how many other people show up?

Marching on the street feels really good, but talking directly to your elected representative? It is a total PITA, and there is a ton of hurry up and wait, but it works.

FonzieDog, Seance, Andy J. and 9 others like this.
  3. jota

jota Member

Congrats @Bobbofallenstar.
    In a completely different level, I just had an unbelievable strike of luck and my life in the music business may be doing a big turn! Next week will be crucial. Fingers crossed.

4. shikawkee

shikawkee Mad King Edmund Gold Supporting Member

Way to go Bobbo. Super duper cool.

5. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

AMAZEBALLS!

Knobby, Garygtr, LordByron and 3 others like this.
  6. Desolation Angel

Desolation Angel Supporting Member

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Nice! He's quite literally one of my favourite people in the business. So many iconic photos, too... the one of Daniel Cespedes, Gorbachev and Reagan, all the Apollo stuff, the Iranian revolution. Amazing fella. I really do hope he writes that book, one day.

EDIT: Oh, and the one of Mary Decker, in tears, looking up the track at the Olympics in '84...

RomanS, Knobby, LordByron and 2 others like this.
  7. lakesider

lakesider Member

Yep,
    hence the tube substitutions if you wanted it to get up on it's hind legs by itself.

8. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

9. Desolation Angel

The final episode in Season 1 of Malcolm Gladwells' excellent Revisionist History podcast is called "The Satire Paradox". It's worth listening to (as is "General Chapman's Last Stand" about the southern border).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  10. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides! Supporting Member

So, today has been:
    [​IMG]
    into
    [​IMG]
    into
    [​IMG]

Observations:
    1) Marshall channel of the Kitchen Sink is the absolute shizzz!
    2) There is a reason why Strat>Ge Fuzz>Analog Delay>Marshall Amp (apply guitar volume knob liberally, to taste) is one of the all time classic rock and roll tones.
    3) BMF GeGB is now officially my favorite fuzz pedal of all times.
    4) OMFG. Sofa. King. Good.
    :cool:

11. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I’m afraid to ask.

Maybe bathe “the boys” in chicken soup?

-bEn r.

12. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

That whale pedal has a lot of knobs.

(73 flavors of transparent boost?)

-bEn r.

Andy J., Knobby, jota and 3 others like this.
  13. LordByron

NOICE!!! :aok

14. Desolation Angel

The Squier of cameras ;-p

LordByron and shikawkee like this.
  15. triggercut

triggercut Silver Supporting Member

16. LordByron

I agree about loving rangefinders. Too bad the are SOOO expensive. If someone would make a moderate (at least by prosumer / pro standards) priced digital rangefinder camera, I would be ALL OVER that.

I also agree about the experiential nature of darkroom stuff. Convenience, however, has totally won out for me (especially once digital darkroom and printers reached the point were you can create competition / gallery quality prints with them).

That having been said, I do enjoy, when I can squeeze some time, doing some of the old alternative process print processes, like Daguerrotypes and Gum Bichromate prints. I don't do them very often, given how time consuming they can be, but it is fun.

What I really want to learn is how to do Platinum/Palladium printing. Irving Penn is one of my photographic idols. The depth and subtlety of his Platinum prints are absolutely breathtaking. I REALLY want to be able to do that.

17. LordByron

1) Eternity
    2) PoT/Kot
    3) Gain Changer
    4) Honey Bee OD
    5) Compressor
    :D

18. Desolation Angel

A colleague of mine went to the studio of a very famous photographer, back in the early 90s, and when he walked in he found himself standing at the door looking at a whole floor covered in palladium prints... all rejects. Hundreds and hundreds of pounds worth of prints scattered on the floor.

On the rangefinder thing... I'm glad I can manually focus*, split prism or rangefinder, but I'm sure as heck glad I don't have to. These days I want the shortest distance between what I see/want to capture and the captured file. So I invariably use AF (but manual ISO, exposure, aperture).

* a few years ago I was photographing the USAF Thunderbirds and the AF on my 200-400 ƒ4 packed in just as they were launching. Times like that I'm glad I know how to manually focus quickly.

shikawkee and LordByron like this.
  19. lakesider

lakesider Member

After having the OX Box for a while I wanted to circle back and gush about it.
    One of the simplest, does exactly what it said it would pieces of gear I've ever purchased.
    It sounds great immediately and it's so easy to use it's crazy.
    Best apartment amp rig I've ever had.

20. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

I'm not really actively looking, but you guys seem to have the same taste and standards in gear... If you were to search for some Strat pickups, what would you get? I've had this 1988 Strat Plus for years. It's a birth year guitar it plays awesome and all that but I haven't quite got it to where I like it sound-wise. It's this guitar and one other Strat that I have that leads me to believe I'm not a Strat guy. I keep them around for the oddball times I do need a Stratty sound. But I'm not SOLD on the tone. It originally had Lace Sensors which, you can imagine, wasn't doing it for me. Then I did the Gilmour set of Fat 50's, Custom 69, Duncan SSL-5. Now it has Suhr ML Standards and a Thornbucker in the bridge. This is the closest I've been to being happy with the guitar. I really want to go back to all singles but I've always had problems with the bridge pickup on a Strat, with the tone control hooked up to it, even.