1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

The Alt.Country Club 33: Thirty Three and a Third

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bobbofallenstar, Mar 25, 2015.

1. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

That is great. Like seriously. For any amp.

2. ShawnH

ShawnH Member

@Crowder - have you tried spinning the guitar mic (Miktek) stand 90 deg and setting it up under the vocal mic. Under the baffle you are using I guess. It seems like you could take more advantage of the figure of 8 null that way. And you'd be getting the capsule closer to where the guitar should be a lot louder.

You already have good separation in that vocal mic but you could tilt it back to point the capsule up a bit - same thing taking more advantage of the null. I played around a bunch with a similar setup a month or so ago. I do think that at some point you just have to live with the bleed - it's never going to be perfect.

Crowder, shikawkee and LordByron like this.
  3. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

Looks like I’ve got some songs to learn. I have a sets worth of stuff to go through and we will see how it goes. Looks like I’m going to be doing a lot of listening and sitting down with a guitar.

Any advice for learning so many songs you aren’t familiar with in a short amount of time?

Andy J., Prof.Fuzz, Garygtr and 6 others like this.
  4. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides! Supporting Member

OK. Scored a good deal on a Thorpy Veteran. Fuzzy goodness inbound. :p

EDIT: After listening to a few more online demos of the Veteran, I think that it is EXACTLY what I both want and need. I love the interaction of the Fuzz, Bias, and Smooth control on the fuzz side.

Thanks @PlexiFuzz!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    ChampReverb, alamere, Garygtr and 4 others like this.
  5. LordByron

Nothing beyond the blindingly obvious: at least roughly tab out the song and then: repetition, repetition, repetition. :p

Garygtr, lakesider, Braunzo and 2 others like this.
  6. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Rough chord charts ...with reminders, as needed.

-bEn r.

7. LordByron

One additional suggestion (or, I guess two, actually): don't always practice the songs in the same order and do something distinctive to breakup practice time between each song (in fact practicing in different locations, or facing a different direction, or having something visually distinctive you can associate with each song can be helpful). That way you are creating distinctive, separate/separable memories of each song, so if things get rearranged in rehearsal, you are less likely to be thrown off kilter.

Knobby, lakesider, jota and 3 others like this.
  8. RomanS

RomanS Member

I used to hate treble bleed when I was playing Teles exclusively, and got my gain from OD pedals.
    Now that I've started using amp OD, and getting clean by turning down the volume, I've started using treble bleed - after much experimentation, both with P90s and slightly fatter wound Strat PUs (about 6.5-7k), I settled on a 470pF cap with a 220k resistor in parallel - really makes my volume pot taper very usable for most of the rotation, and doesn't change the tone.
    Really can't do the 001uF cap by itself, that most of the guys here seem to like - makes everything sound too tinny in my experience

9. Flying_Milkman

Flying_Milkman Member

I find listening and transposing by ear to be the best way to get familiar with a song. Of course - it's not the quickest as it requires multiple listens. Guess it depends what I'm trying to do. Hack through a song? Sure, chord sheets are great. Add the song to a performance set? Absolutely sitting down and writing out my own chords/tabs

10. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

https://drkevguitar.com/2016/11/24/treble-bleed-mod-roundup/

Read down through the notes about the Kinman RC series version too.

I think you just need to experiment with...

cap alone
    RC series
    RC parallel

...until your ears like it ...or not.

-bEn r.

11. wilddogmoon

wilddogmoon Supporting Member

shikawkee and LordByron like this.
  12. MattH

MattH Supporting Member

I think I get where you’re coming from.

I just think it’s all just relative to where they’re being used. Does it hum in a dead quiet room? Sure, a little. Is that louder than the ambient noise in a bar or club? Not a chance. Is it louder than the lead singer doing his/her rap between songs? No way.

Would playing the amp clean and then stacking up overdrives add noise? It sounds like a lot of guys do that at home to get some breakup? I always just turn the amp up to 6 or so and use that as “the sound”.

Also, I’ve only had one Pro Jr. It’s really old though. I’m not sure which revision it is? MIA.

13. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

This is a great way to summarize the whole thing...it's all relative.

Knobby, lakesider, shikawkee and 2 others like this.
  14. hubberjub

hubberjub Silver Supporting Member

I haven't found that there are any real secrets. It helps to have good relative pitch. I usually just chart out the tunes once, then cram as though it's the SATs. Some singer/songwriters are really straightforward with their progressions, and some like to throw wacky bridges into their tunes.

15. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Yeah, well, true to form ... I'm over the Fuzz Face.

The one in my Sun Lion is by far the best Ge version I've owned, but I just can't maintain an interest in that circuit over the long term (or even the short term, apparently).

So I pulled the Sun Lion off my main board and replaced it with the Arcane Analog dual pedal I was using in front of my tweed. Similar setup to the Sun Lion, but with a Mk1.5 Tone Bender instead of a Fuzz Face. Nastier and more raw. Much better.

And the tweed now has a Basic Audio Spooky Tooth running into it. Damn, now that's a combo. Nasty as all get out.

The only thing better than swapping out pedals for a better fit is being able to use the ones you already have --- and ending up with an expensive one to offload and recoup the cash is a happy bonus!

16. lakesider

lakesider Member

Treble stays the same.
    Best way is to put your guitar on 6, dial in your rhythm sound then turn it up from there on the guitar

17. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

I don’t do the formal Nashville charts, I do more of a road map (intro, verses, choruses, bridge, etc) along with little bits that will help stir my memory, even if it’s an unflattering comparison to another well-known song (keep those on the down low!).
    “Why do you have “rejected cut from Stranger’s Almanac” written on your chart?”
    Try to get the chords and arrangements down before you worry too much about learning any solos, or coming up with your own as the case may be.

18. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Sometimes I think a tele into a couple pedals and a champ is the ultimate noodle away for hours rig.

Speaking of tele in champ...Julian Lage.

19. erksin

erksin Member

The latest Tweedy record is supposedly all his ‘50s Esquire into a tweed Champ. It sounds fantastic, as it should.

sandman, jkg, Prairie Belt and 5 others like this.
  20. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

A star is born!