1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

The Alt.Country Club 33: Thirty Three and a Third

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bobbofallenstar, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Knobby

Knobby Member

Living in the Bay Area in the 90's...narrow panel tweed champ on my couch end table, '71 Tele on the couch with me (for yeeearrrrs). Yeah, I lived alone

Might explain the lower hearing capability in the right ear...

Still have the Tele. Champ ended up being borrowed (eventually bought) by a local studio here in PDX.

2. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

How can what I hear be idiotic?

Wait, don't answer that.

Andy J., Knobby, LordByron and 2 others like this.
  3. Crowder

I am ON FIRE with selling gear lately. Must be tax refund season.

Most of the stuff I intended to sell has moved. I'm even selling a couple of PA speakers that I didn't really set out to sell. But a friend was looking, sooooo out the door.

I think I'm pretty well covered on "gear" gear but I may buy one of those slick Carl Tatz studio chairs that @lakesider was telling me about. The ergonomics of the chair I'm using now are putting me in a very uncomfortable posture. My neck gets tight right away.

4. waylon

waylon Member

i think most of the boat people do LOVE the 5E3...i've got 2-love them. it like most amps have their place. works great for about 95% of the gigs my band does (brewery circuit, lol)

5. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Here's a question for you. Why am I obsessed with the Gilmore Girls today?

Pablomago, LordByron and Crowder like this.
  6. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

@The Whiz
    Not sure of the context of those earlier posts. They're great, but like everything else, they have some drawbacks. Folks spend so much time trying tweak that circuit. Mods, speakers, etc. Like @waylon said, they have their place for sure. I sold my 5e3 recently and have missed it since. I like the cleans it has, but the AST has tighter base and does not fall apart so I moved it along. Time with a tweed has just been postponed. (Still want to try a Harvard.)

7. shikawkee

shikawkee Mad King Edmund Gold Supporting Member

Sold $1600 worth of stuff yesterday. I'm burning up! <G>

8. tubby

tubby Member

I sold my R4 this weekend in 15 minutes on Reverb. Kinda sad to see it go, but it was just too valuable of a guitar to have hanging on my wall not seeing enough use. Every time I took it to a gig I was scared something was gonna happen to it. Now I'm scared something is gonna happen in shipping. High anxiety until I get the all clear from the buyer on delivery.

9. lakesider

lakesider Member

wow!

LordByron, Crowder and shikawkee like this.
  10. ShawnH

ShawnH Member

I know we have had a few mentions of it - but anybody have any direct experience of the Output Platform studio desk? I'm real close to pulling the trigger on it - I need an upgrade there big time. Also I want to get my desk sorted before I invest any more time and effort into acoustic treatment. Anybody actually used one? I know I could probably DIY it for cheaper etc. but I just don't have the free time right now.

shikawkee and lakesider like this.
  11. jkg

jkg Supporting Member

I will admit, the first song I ever learned on my Peavey 20 fret starter guitar in 1982 was Photograph...

12. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Hey, it was “pre-Levi Guy”

13. pdodge77

pdodge77 Supporting Member

That's nothing to be ashamed of! That was one of the first things I learned on air guitar.

I think the first thing I learned on a real guitar was Killing an Arab by the Cure.

LordByron, shikawkee and jkg like this.
  14. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

First thing I learned on guitar was the opening for Otherside by Red Hot Chili Peppers.

LordByron, shikawkee and jkg like this.
  15. lakesider

lakesider Member

Buddy of mine who plays drums, Kenny Soule, got one for his home rig and he likes it a lot.
    Very heavy duty.
    Good hardware.
    Cable organization.
    The keyboard desk option is super nice also.
    It's a very nice design.
    If I didn't already have a nice setup that's exactly what I'd get.
    If you are using a single monitor screen you can most likely put your speakers on it too with some proper pads.
    Kenny's had his for almost a year and he still digs it.

LordByron and shikawkee like this.
  16. ShawnH

ShawnH Member

Good to hear. It seems like the best option out there for my space. I would definitely want to put my monitors on the desk - right now my monitors are too far apart I believe. What do you typically put between monitors and the desk?

LordByron, shikawkee and lakesider like this.
  17. lakesider

lakesider Member

My favorite ones are the Primacoustic Recoil Stabilizers. They have good heft and come in different sizes.

shikawkee and LordByron like this.
  18. tubby

tubby Member

Damn! They ain't givn' them things away. $OUCH$

shikawkee, LordByron and lakesider like this.
  19. Crowder

The first thing I learned was the intro to "More Than a Feeling."

I'd asked a friend to help me learn and I think that was a relatively brilliant choice to show a beginner. It helped me get some pick control, required that I fret the notes properly, got my left hand moving around a little, and because it was so familiar I could always tell if I was getting it right.

I worked on that for a month before I asked him to teach me something else. Since I already had the MTAF thing going, he showed me the intro to "Fly by Night" by Rush. Pretty much the same thing, but not quite.

After that I don't think I've ever had another lesson worth mentioning. Just gobs of sweat equity and really wanting it, plus some books and never being afraid to ask "Hey, how'd you do that?"

shikawkee and LordByron like this.
  20. Knobby

Knobby Member

My first *real* guitar...'86 RG400 in "dark wine" - still have it. Saved for months. Loved that thing like a new puppy!

Looks like this:
    [​IMG]