The Alt.Country Club 33: Thirty Three and a Third

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bobbofallenstar, Mar 25, 2015.

1. tubby

tubby Member

I was kind of kidding before, but I wonder if stereo small amps would work for me. Put my pedalboard on the floor, set the amps in front with a little spread and tilt them up at my face. Cut down the bleed to the rest of the band, turn the amps up some, and get a stereo spread going. Might be cool, might also just be wasting money.

2. Desolation Angel

Desolation Angel Supporting Member

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Second replaced pick guard of the week, second tortification... this is the disastrous, but oddly 'free', tort guard that I had so much trouble with.

[​IMG]

Possibly less sh1tty picture coming later...

3. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

Oink, English I don’t know, but definitely better Dutch, French and German...

4. Braunzo

Braunzo Member

Hate the breakup on my Deluxe Reverb. LOVE it clean. I could play just that amp clean and be completely happy.

My Bandmaster LOVES being pushed into breakup then having a Tubescreamer hit it. I’m just never able to do that.

5. erksin

erksin Member

You’ll notice I left the DR off that list. That was intentional. :D

Knobby, Andy J., LordByron and 3 others like this.
  6. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I played a non-reverb deluxe once. It was different from a DR. Didn't like the cleans as well but it sounded really cool turned up.

LordByron, erksin and tigerfan2 like this.
  7. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

Jack and Ian Thornley are my current favorite guitar players. I've corresponded with Jack. He's such a nice dude. He turned me on to the MXR CMBAOD that I use all the time as my main OD.

For me fuzz starts and ends with Jeff Beck in The Yardbirds. That Esquire, a Tone Bender and AC-30's (I guess?). Go listen to "Heart Full of Soul," "Mister, You're a Better Man then I" or "Shapes of Things." That's what I wanted to sound like when I was 13 and got my first guitar.

Maestro FuzzTones and Vox Tone Benders were popular among the hot shots who played our Jr. High School dances. Usually into BF Fender amps or solid state Vox amps.

Jorma Kaukonen and his Ampeg Scrambler on Jefferson Airplane's "After Bathing at Baxters" (ES 345 > Scrambler > God knows how many BF Twins with JBL's) was pretty mind blowing, too.

And what ever they used on "San Francisco Girls" by Fever Tree. I think it was an Epi Sheraton into a Vox Tone Bender and a Vox Super Beetle.

My personal gateway fuzzes were a Maestro FuzzTone and a friend's Super-Fuzz but after my Maestro got stolen, I started playing country-rock and probably never touched another dirt pedal for close to 20 years. In my first good band I played my P-90 LP GT straight into my Twin Reverb. I went in a totally different direction.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  8. Braunzo

Braunzo Member

I’m aware of your “love” for Deluxe Reverbs lol.

9. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I'm shocked anyone knew about this. Mike is so shy sharing his opinions on gear he doesn't like. :D

10. Desolation Angel

Holy hell, Gilmours' 0001 Strat went for $1.5million... they haven't even gotten to the black Strat yet.

11. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

You could use two small amps and the volume pedal trick. Might work great in that situation.

Run the "main" amp from the Tuner Out of a volume pedal. Run the second amp from the normal output of the pedal (the one the pedal attenuates). Rock along on one amp most of the time, but blend in the second amp for fills and solos.

You can put pedals before or after the volume pedal as desired. If you put a drive pedal in front of the second amp you could blend in varying amounts and get some cool sounds.

12. Desolation Angel

The Martin D-35 that was on Wish You Were Here... est. at $20k... went for $900k

tigerfan2, Andy J., LordByron and 3 others like this.
  13. Crowder

14. Desolation Angel

Gilmour auction is at Lot 85... Lot 127 is the black Strat. I just watched a classical acoustic guitar start at $3,000 and sell for $80,000. It's nut to watch live.

Andy J., LordByron, shikawkee and 2 others like this.
  15. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

I've seen people put small amps on either side of their vocal monitor to get all of their sound from in front of them and to cut down of bleed and beaming. Give it a shot.

I used to run a DR and AC-15 split with an Roland Space Echo. That was a lovely sound. I had them behind me, though.

LordByron, shikawkee and erksin like this.
  16. Braunzo

Braunzo Member

The Christie’s Twitter are posting these a bit higher.

LordByron and shikawkee like this.
  17. Crowder

Adding the commission probably.

18. Desolation Angel

What Crowder said...

The auctioneer just took a Taylor acoustic from $5000 to $22k in a matter of just a few seconds to the people in the room. She stopped and said, 'you people can come back to Christie's any time you want'. What a weird and wonderful job it must be to be an auctioneer. I can't help wishing she was doing it in that rapid fire style of livestock auctioneers...

19. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Whatever he's using works. But yeah I've thought about spending the $50 for one of those used and even getting the Visual Sound Angry fuzz that he likes.

20. Braunzo

Braunzo Member

He’s already raised over $14m.

LordByron, shikawkee, Crowder and 2 others like this.