The Alt.Country Club 33: Thirty Three and a Third

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bobbofallenstar, Mar 25, 2015.

1. lakesider

lakesider Silver Supporting Member

That song is from “The Knitter”. ?

erksin, LordByron and shikawkee like this.
  2. narwhale

narwhale Member

I just did my first overnight smoke and it’s a game changer. This was actually the first time I didn’t have to panic and throw it in the oven to get it ready anywhere close to dinner. No stress about how long the stall is going to last. If you have a grill or smoker that holds temp well enough to leave it unwatched I highly recommend it. My propane smoker is nothing fancy (a Camp ached Smoke Vault) but after you get the temp set the only thing you need to do is monitor the water tray.

3. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

Yeah without fail mine are always underdone. I just have a large rectangular charcoal grill, I keep the meat on one side and the charcoal/wood chunks on the other. It requires CONSTANT monitoring of temperature and fuel.

4. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too. Silver Supporting Member

Nice to see some smoking talk! I packed a freezer bag with some leftovers from a brisket I smoked recently for this trip. Will make some brisket beans with that.

For the main event, though, I went with the pros and brought this along:

[​IMG]

Andy J., s360guitarist, MattH and 6 others like this.
  5. Braunzo

Braunzo Member

Agreed there. I held back on a lot. Her music is pretty spacious, so it’s a lot of me doubling her on guitar with different inversions or whatever. But the key licks and solos I overthink way too much and wind up being stiff or I second guess myself and fumble some things.

6. narwhale

narwhale Member

Daaaaaaaaaamn. When I went to Austin a few years back we went straight from the airport to La Barbecue. Still probably the best meal of my life. I’d love to go back and do a full barbecue tour including Franklin, though preferably not in July this time.

Costco has prime briskets for like $3.50 a pound usually. I usually portion it out and do half corned beef and half Sous vide brisket that I finish on the smoker. Never smoked a full one but now that I’ve done an overnight pork shoulder maybe that’s next.

LordByron, shikawkee and PlexiFuzz like this.
  7. PlexiFuzz

Costco is for sure the best price/quality for these. I usually smoke the whole thing central Texas style, but I might go for pastrami next time if I can find the motivation.

Also, La Barbecue is awesome. And unlike Franklin, you can do preorders like a day or two before and skip the line. Great for house parties.

8. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Yes.

You would know.

-bEn r.

LordByron, shikawkee and lakesider like this.
  9. lakesider

lakesider Silver Supporting Member

The Knitter has been out of print/unavailble forever. Almost as if it was scrubbed from history.

LordByron, erksin and shikawkee like this.
  10. ChampReverb

Wow.

Mine is not going anywhere.

-bEn r.

11. ShawnH

ShawnH Member

This is where the pellet smoker is an amazing thing - you just stay up until midnight the night before and throw it on. It’s ready for an early dinner 4-ish. And you can sleep in. Awesome.

LordByron, Garygtr, PlexiFuzz and 4 others like this.
  12. ChampReverb

I always like the bit about the cassette tape and SE in this Cheri Knight interview.

https://www.gumbopages.com/music/knight.html

I did see Wooden Leg live once and they were great, especially the fiddle player.

-bEn r.

LordByron, PlexiFuzz and shikawkee like this.
  13. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

This is why for certain types of gigs I prefer playing bass. Less temptation.

LordByron, Braunzo and Crowder like this.
  14. jawajt

jawajt Member

Sorry to hear about the rental car snafu, but I'm glad you got squared away and you're enjoying your trip. I love the Cape! Yes, there's usually tons of traffic, but there's nothing like the Cape. I've tried similar places, like the Rhode Island beach towns and Virginia Beach, but the Cape is still my favorite. There's plenty of tourist things to do, if you are so inclined. But if you want a quieter time, you can head out to Wellfleet or Truro. Plus, there's no experience quite like P-Town.

LordByron, shikawkee and PlexiFuzz like this.
  15. jawajt

jawajt Member

As I hoped, the Jenny Lewis show was awesome. The band was super tight, her vocals were excellent, and the mix was perfect. And one thing I'll never get sick of...Nothing beats the sound of a nice drum kit miced up! Even though I'm a guitar player, it's usually the first thing that grabs me at a concert. Love that sound!

16. PlexiFuzz

Yeah, I like being here. And especially escaping the Texas heat.

My wife is from here and all her family (and all the kids' cousins) are here. So it's very much a family visit first and vacation second for the adults. I'll also be working most of the time, but hopefully not too much each day.

Still, I get along really well with her brothers, and I also love fresh seafood, so I can't complain. Especially when her mom does us a solid and rents us a house for the trip!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    pdodge77, ClinchFX, LordByron and 5 others like this.
  17. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

If you haven't already downloaded Logic 10.4.5, it's available, but there are some known issues around control surfaces and MIDI devices. I'd wait for them to get those patched up before proceeding.

LordByron, Andy J., jawajt and 2 others like this.
  18. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

i really appreciate this thread and the people that keep it interesting. just felt like writing that.

19. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

In other news, Slate Everything Bundle has replaced Scuffham S-Gear with Overloud TH-U as its included amp sim. I already owned an S-Gear license so now I have access to both. After playing around with the Overloud software a bit, I have to say it is a real contender for me. Good stuff, lots of options, easy to use.

LordByron and shikawkee like this.
  20. shikawkee

shikawkee The One True King

Yeah, it's pretty okay. Especially since I have the bundle anyways too.

LordByron and Crowder like this.