The Alt.Country Club 33: Thirty Three and a Third

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bobbofallenstar, Mar 25, 2015.

1. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too. Silver Supporting Member

alamere, Andy J., tigerfan2 and 14 others like this.
  2. shikawkee

shikawkee The One True King

We really. really like you.

Andy J., Crowder, ChampReverb and 9 others like this.
  3. Braunzo

Braunzo Member

Seeing Helms Alee and Earth tonight. Helms just blew my mind.

gravy, hubberjub, PlexiFuzz and 3 others like this.
  4. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

How was Dylan?

LordByron and Braunzo like this.
  5. Braunzo

Braunzo Member

Dylan was good. Had to leave stage for a quick minute. Sounded like he needed a pee break. It was a lot of damn music below 80 BPM in the key of Eb.

Garygtr, Crowder, ChampReverb and 5 others like this.
  6. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I am terrible at rolling joints. And they burn funny. If I smoked them indoors I'd burn the house down.

There. I said it.

alamere, Andy J., Garygtr and 9 others like this.
  7. shikawkee

Wish Earth would come to Nashville (but it ain't the best place to play so I kinda' understand. A lot of acts bypass us). Maybe they'll come to London. I find out today about a new, much more affordable flat and my visa status.

8. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too. Silver Supporting Member

Looking to talk myself out of "needing" a second EP-3 for the tweed deluxe. To that end, EP-PRE from Peter @ClinchFX incoming!

I had one many years ago and really liked it. But my tastes and tonal goals were a bit different back then, so I'm really looking forward to having another go with it.

Plus, I think the bass heavy tweed deluxe will benefit from the early EP-3 preamp circuit.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Andy J., Garygtr, therhodeo and 7 others like this.
  9. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Are you from Oklahoma too? We have a reputation for rolling our joints all wrong.

Crowder and LordByron like this.
  10. ShawnH

ShawnH Member

So my kids made fun of me relentlessly and kept saying that Dad had a "playdate". But last Friday afternoon a guy I had met previously to check out a guitar he was selling was able to make the trip down to my place - about a 2 hour drive. He's also into vintage acoustics and is a strong player with similar interests - not always easy to find those musical partners - wish he was a little closer. Anyway we were able to spend about 3 hours picking fiddle tunes and some other stuff on these 3 vintage Martins - from left to right are my 1938 0-18, his 1939 00-18 shadetop, and his 1944 0-18:

It was a really great afternoon. All 3 very strong guitars - amazing how different they are from each other. His shadetop is recently acquired and needs some work (neck-set) for it to be it's best - boy is it clean. I was almost afraid to play it.

alamere, tigerfan2, Garygtr and 16 others like this.
  11. lakesider

lakesider Silver Supporting Member

Expanded coffee answer!
    I started at home with Performer the sequencer in '92 (running next to a Tascam 688 then a Roland 1608) which eventually became Digital Performer. We got a full sized DP rig for the studio in about 2001 and through Mark Spencer we sold it to Jay F for his place a few years later when PT eventually dropped their "must have our hardware to work" thing. At that point I got PT for home and for the studio and did a record at home to learn PT (Chip Robinson's Mylow) I've had various versions of Logic for over 10 years but I've never spent enough time on it to be able to really 'work' on it.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    alamere, Braunzo, ChampReverb and 4 others like this.
  12. shikawkee

So dig this: I was at my favorite shop in London that carries a pedal line of which we will not speak and they told me they hadn't carried said line for a while because the general manager of said manufacturer asked him to send the large order money direct to their personal account. Fortunately shop owner was too smart and said no way. Now apparently that GM is gone form that unspeakable pedal line. Hmmm.....

Garygtr, jawajt, jota and 4 others like this.
  13. John H

John H Silver Supporting Member

I love a good mystery.

14. erksin

erksin Member

It’s because y’all don’t smoke marijuana in Muskogee.

tigerfan2, RomanS, Garygtr and 9 others like this.
  15. shikawkee

Use your imagination. Not far from you.

mdrake34, therhodeo and LordByron like this.
  16. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

Good way to get the corporate veil pierced.

tigerfan2, PlexiFuzz, Crowder and 2 others like this.
  17. tubby

tubby Member

I finally got off my butt and did a project I'd been meaning to do for a while (years). When I bought my Buckwheat amp it was damaged in shipping. The chassis pulled through the cabinet, so I had a new one made (at UPS's expense after pulling some teeth). Since the damaged cabinet was actually totally fine other than one chassis screw hole, I loaded a speaker into it and I've been using it as an extension cab. I just had the speaker jack loose in the cab which was not so pretty good. So, this weekend I went to Home Depot and purchased a small thin piece of plywood, painted it flat brown to match the faceplate of the actual amp, used it to fill the chassis cut out and then mounted the speaker jack in it. Now it looks like I'm running stereo Buckwheats, all for about $10.

I'd been thinking about having a tweed twin cabinet made and turning it into a 2x12, but this just seems more versatile and much less expensive. The brown tolex look isn't quite as nice looking as lacquered tweed, but it's still pretty cool.

I also bought one of those really intense floor fans you can aim up. I have two gigs coming up this weekend and it's supposed to be in the mid 90's. My nightmare. I'd take an outdoor gig in the 30's over the 90's any day.

18. erksin

erksin Member

I’m one of those weirdos who’ll take brown tolex over lacquered tweed any day.

Cornbread, RomanS, Garygtr and 9 others like this.
  19. pdodge77

pdodge77 Supporting Member

So, I listed my VB-2w on Reverb yesterday afternoon and it sold in less than an hour! And it was priced $10 higher than the next lowest priced listing.

This morning, I order a Retro-Sonic Chorus. I'm pretty into the tones that both John Frusciante (love his playing still, less so the rest of the Peppers) and Britt Daniel have gotten out of the Boss Chorus Ensemble.

I love that the Retrosonic allows you to set different speed and depth settings for the Vibrato and Chorus. That should make it more versatile than the BBE Mindbender.

Right now, I like the sound of the Mindbender vibrato the most, but the slight delay is kind of annoying. The Tailspin and the Malekko are sort of a toss up. The Malekko sounds marginally better and marginally quieter, but it's harder to dial in (it goes from subtle to extreme pretty quickly).

Guess we'll see how this goes.

Andy J., whatdisay, Pablomago and 8 others like this.
  20. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

100% agree.

erksin and LordByron like this.