The Alt.Country Club 33: Thirty Three and a Third

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bobbofallenstar, Mar 25, 2015.

1. tubby

tubby Member

I'd like a full report on my desk by next Friday please. I've had that chorus in my cart plenty of times and just never quite commit.

2. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

LordByron and shikawkee like this.
  3. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I've made it about an hour into the Dylan thing on Netflix. That may be as far as I get.

I've got a peeve/suspicion about the difficult artist type, the guy who ignores a lot of the people around him unless they happen to be hot women, or answers every question with his own question, or cans the people working with him on a whim, or tries too hard to cultivate a mystery around their personality.

Everything I've read from people who worked with Dylan made me feel like he was one of those people. Petty and Campbell said they did an entire tour backing him without ever getting to know him. The stories Lanois tells about working with him come off much the same way. Maybe there's something similar in the books I read from Levon and Robbie, can't recall specifics.

The sanity of the people working around these elusive artists depends on the attitude that "Hey, that's Bob, and it was worth dealing with all the dehumanizing behavior to see his genius up close."

My sanity doesn't depend on that way of thinking and I find it hard to lend that kind of grace. There are plenty of other genius-level creative people who don't expect you to bend your world to fit around theirs.

I think the less I know about Bob the person, the more I'll enjoy Bob the artist.

Andy J., tigerfan2, RomanS and 7 others like this.
  4. pdodge77

pdodge77 Supporting Member

Exactly. That sound right there.

LordByron, mdrake34 and shikawkee like this.
  5. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

That applies to tons of artists. Also why its so nice when an artist turns out to not be a jerk. I already have jerks to deal with at work. I need a paycheck. I don't need any certain artists music.

tigerfan2, RomanS, LordByron and 2 others like this.
  6. jota

jota Member

Well, finally back home after a trip to Paris to play.
    You guys that put up with this thing for living have my lifetime admiration.

We went on the Saturday evening because we were required to be on the gig early Sunday morning to do soundcheck. We were the last of 3 bands.
    After a late night dinner, there was a lot of concertina playing and we were dropped in the hotel at 3AM!
    Up at 8AM, we got to the gig at 10AM but end up being the last ones runing soundcheck at 2PM! We had to stay there until our time came up at 7PM.
    It was hot and the sun was directly in the front of the stage! I think that was the reason my HX Stomp stop putting out sound at certain point! Exactly the point where the song begins with a guitar lead... Had to reboot it.
    After another long dinner, we were dropped at the hotel at 2AM, got up at 4PM to go to the aeroport and here I am falling asleep in front of my computer at work...

Prof.Fuzz, Andy J., hubberjub and 8 others like this.
  7. tubby

tubby Member

I'm not a big Dylan fan either. The guy genuinely likes to mess with his fans, his musicians, and his friends in a malicious way. He's a troll who somehow got tagged with the genius title. He's one of those dudes who I almost always prefer hearing somebody else perform their music. They usually edit out the nonsense.

RomanS, LordByron, Crowder and 3 others like this.
  8. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

My desert island fuzz tone is Live at Slane Castle. No definitive answer on the interwebz, but several suggest it's just his fuzz factory into the marshalls, not the DS-2 into the big muff that he used a lot also.

shikawkee likes this.
  9. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I kinda love that McGuinn messed up the lyrics to You Aint Goin Nowhere and it pissed Dylan off.

LordByron, Crowder and tubby like this.
  10. pdodge77

I'm a little late, but here's the run down from Isbell on Friday.

Children of Children
    Hope The High Road
    24 Frames
    White Man's World
    Outfit
    ******* Lonely Love
    Stockholm
    Flying Over Water
    Elephant
    Last of My Kind
    Cover Me Up
    Maybe It's Time
    Overseas
    Super 8

Encore:
    Oh Well (Fleetwood Mac)
    If We Were Vampires

Overall, it seemed like kind of a down/mellow set. He seemed a little preoccupied or distracted. He played Red Eye or the Red Eye replica on Children and Oh Well. The solo on Children was much more restrained than what we heard at soundcheck. Good, but more precise and safe.

Sadler was on fire. Especially the parts he played on Cover Me Up and Outfit.

Overseas is a new song and Jason played a strat on it. It's funny how strats bring out the best in some people and not others. Sadler playing a strat on Cover Me Up sounded like no strat I've ever played. Jason playing the strat on this new song sounded like a strat...

It was very cool to hear Jason singing Maybe It's Time.

All in all, it was a great show. It wasn't my favorite Isbell performance ever, but it was good.

To be fair, we were in a "box" with some chatty people around us, so that likely impacted my impression of the show.

Andy J., hubberjub, narwhale and 8 others like this.
  11. pdodge77

I’ve had that same one for roughly the same amount of time.

I’ve replaced the grates once during that time - probably about four years ago. I’m currently weighing the pros and cons of replacing the burners after this season or buying a new grill.

A few years ago, I got one of the Bakerstone grill top pizza boxes. It’s my jam! I can do a brick oven style pizza in about six minutes.

https://www.bakerstonebox.com/

12. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

At the Yacht Rock Revue show Friday, they had the sound to where you could hold a conversation with the person next to you. It was kind of a bummer. They know they have an older crowd, it was definitely deliberate.

My ne’erdowell friend was going ape **** over the sound and set list the whole time, which was also a downer. He was ripped before we ever pulled up.

pdodge77, LordByron and shikawkee like this.
  13. shikawkee

shikawkee The One True King

Glamorous ain't it?

Andy J., ChampReverb, jota and 2 others like this.
  14. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

We were at Silver Dollar City in Branson several weeks ago and they have a summer concert series. I wanted to stay to watch Blood Sweat and Tears but no one else did. They jammed for probably an hour before the gates opened and I was nearby listening. Don't know if there is a single original member there but their jam session was on fire.

ChampReverb, LordByron and mdrake34 like this.
  15. tubby

tubby Member

Was there a dude doing his best Michael MacDonald caricature back ground vocals? That seems like a necessary thing for me to fully enjoy a show like that.

Garygtr, tigerfan2, shikawkee and 3 others like this.
  16. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

One of the two main singers did Michael McDonald caricature lead vocals on one song. He nailed it.

17. tubby

tubby Member

At this point, if you don't have Michael MacDonald or Rick Astley impression in your wheelhouse, you need to rearrange you life priorities and get on that.

Random brain connections, from Rick Astley I got to Nick Lowe and remembering just how great of a song All Men Are Liars is. Now that's gonna be in my head all day.

18. Crowder

To me the highlight of the show is when the little dude in the back who is normally buried behind his keys suddenly and seemingly out of nowhere produces a saxophone and just tears the house down on a song with a signature sax solo that you've been wondering how the in the hell they're going to replace.

Andy J., tigerfan2, shikawkee and 4 others like this.
  19. Crowder

Tim O'Brien's "Red on Blonde" record is great on that latter count.

I mean it's one thing to blow off reporters. But when you're treating Mike and Tom, Levon and Robbie, Lanois and Al Kooper like they're only good for picking up your scraps, that is some B.S. in my book.

RomanS, shikawkee, triggercut and 2 others like this.
  20. Crowder

I would go see a band that only covered songs that Michael McDonald sang backup on, especially if they eliminated the lead vocals and the whole show was just backing vocals.

If there aren't enough songs for a full set they can add any that Emmylou sang backup on.

Some people are just born to sing backing vocals.