The Alt.Country Club 33: Thirty Three and a Third

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bobbofallenstar, Mar 25, 2015.

1. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

This is extremely my ****.

2. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides! Supporting Member

An eastbound man, in a westbound lane (ATL)
    Probably my favorite EC song. Don't dig this guy's (forgive me) yacht rock tone and phrasing. I will, however, happily use this to help figure out why my rendition of the song is so horrendously wrong. :p

3. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

It's one of my favorites. When a girlfriend in college broke up with me, I listened to it and just lost it. Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs is damn near a perfect album, except, well, the horrible tone.

4. erksin

erksin Member

That was some Weather Channel (TM) level sh!t right there.

5. ShawnH

ShawnH Member

Big fan of his youtube channel and lessons in general (all free) - this is not one that would grab me. He puts out a ton of content there are bound to be winners and losers. I guess what I 'm saying is don't sleep on some of the other much better lessons he has put out. His style does tend to be very inside/diatonic - could use a little more attitude/greasiness. Overall I give him a big thumbs up for free guitar content. ;)

6. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too. Silver Supporting Member

^^^ story checks out.

erksin, LordByron, shikawkee and 5 others like this.
  7. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

A lot of his lessons are "Hendrix double stop licks on (insert song)." I love that style of rhythm playing.

8. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

Yeah, but then I'd have to watch the whole thing. I did see some clips and it sounds real good.

I saw Dead and Co. a few years ago, and while I liked it, it's lacks a certain "magic" that I used to get from seeing The Grateful Dead back in the olden days. (Even when sober, BTW) And the tempos are soooooooo slooooooooow...

9. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

They are indeed.

LordByron likes this.
  10. Prairie Belt

Prairie Belt Supporting Member

Eric's a good dude, local to this area. His original music is very cool & worth checking out. Not trying to call anyone out here, just sayin' sometimes you gotta smooth off some edges & present things differently when you're making teaching material.

waylon, erksin, LordByron and 6 others like this.
  11. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

My AC50 told me to say you CAN have your cake and eat it, too...

erksin, LordByron, shikawkee and 4 others like this.
  12. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

Listed the bassbreaker for sale locally. Still waiting for Friedman-money to come in via referral fee (settlement has to be approved by the court as it involves a minor).

LordByron, shikawkee and PlexiFuzz like this.
  13. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Everytime my mom has on Weather Channel when we're there they're playing the original studio version of In Memory of Elizabeth Reed. Based on that I think I'd take weather channel tone.

mdrake34 and LordByron like this.
  14. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

15. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

Lately when I play electric I bring a Strat and the G&L Tribute ASAT Deluxe Carvetop with 'buckers. I don't really change anything that I can think of when I switch guitars.

I used to carry my Epi Riviera and a Tele. I started using a comp to boost up the Tele a little.

And there are times I just being the Esquire and don't worry about anything else.

LordByron and shikawkee like this.
  16. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Yes and no, maybe? To get parts that are as similar as possible to the originals pretty much requires at least a semi-boutique approach these days. Maybe the transformers are the exception, and resistors are resistors, but caps and pots are sort of critical.

Pots for example have shockingly poor consistency, like +/- 10% from the stated rating, so at the very least someone has to test all the components to get the expected interactions at the expected settings.

17. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

Guess my Timmy just went up in value again :hide

18. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I can remember reading about how RS Guitarworks tests and sorts pots and thinking "pffft." Then I tested the ones in my inventory and they were all over the place.

A 500K pot can read 455K and still pass. A 300K pot can read 330K and still pass. So there's a chance that you rip out your 300K pots to put in 500K's and wind up only going from 330K to 455K and still be "within spec."

19. Braunzo

Braunzo Member

Explain.

Andy J., jawajt and LordByron like this.
  20. shikawkee

shikawkee The One True King Gold Supporting Member

New flat acquired. In Shepherd's Bush. My landlord was in Gene Loves Jezebel. Yeah, me neither. Never heard their music but heard of them. A real rock n' roll eccentric but good bloke.

So that's a big relief. 6 months in Nashville and six in London suits me for now. Would rather be in London all the time but still working out the visa thing.