The Alt.Country Club 33: Thirty Three and a Third

Agree with the above guys. Play 'em.

Their actions give me pause in terms of buying a new Jr., but they give me zero pause in terms of playing the guitars I already own.
I get it. The video was lame and slightly cringey....

The vast majority of dweebs on the internet making a big deal out of it have never written a song on one.
Never gigged one.
Never taken one on tour.

Hell, I bet the majority of them have never owned one...
Why care what they think about Gibson?

If you are emotionally impacted enough by that video, then sell yours if you must.

lakesider

The vast majority of dweebs on the internet making a big deal out of it have never written a song on one.
Never gigged one.
Never taken one on tour.

If you are emotionally impacted enough by that video, then sell yours if you must.
It might be different if you had a business deal with the company and you had your name on one but I agree with the rest.
They are tools you purchased. You didn't get personally treated with disrespect like some have been by some pedal guy or the like.
Use 'em.

PlexiFuzz

I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Never gigged one.
Never taken one on tour.

Yeah, it honestly seems not much more douchey than things they've tried to pull in the past.

therhodeo

Never gigged one.
Never taken one on tour.
Gibson better hope to hell that people who check that list aren't their only customers.

I've written, gigged, recorded, and was a full time staff musician (if that is an acceptable sub for touring) with one. I'll never buy another one. Currently my long term gear list includes 3 guitars. A custom bender tele made by my buddy, an LP that will likely be an Edwards, and an SG that will likely be a precision guitar kit put together and finished by the luthier friend building the tele. The guy sitting across the aisle from me here at work derives a significant portion of his income from gigging. Said this was all the final straw for him to fully move over to PRS and is planning on replacing his SG in the near future. Was in a local shop saturday afternoon with my daughter and the manager is a guy I've talked to a ton. Said they had been considering bringing on Gibson but this kind of soured them to it. The whole thing runs counter to the whole whole ethos that drew me to music and away from the competitive sports world I was in. I no longer want that name hanging around my neck anymore than I want certain builders pedals no my board.

Gibson better hope to hell that people who check that list aren't their only customers.

I've written, gigged, recorded, and was a full time staff musician (if that is an acceptable sub for touring) with one. I'll never buy another one. Currently my long term gear list includes 3 guitars. A custom bender tele made by my buddy, an LP that will likely be an Edwards, and an SG that will likely be a precision guitar kit put together and finished by the luthier friend building the tele. The guy sitting across the aisle from me here at work derives a significant portion of his income from gigging. Said this was all the final straw for him to fully move over to PRS and is planning on replacing his SG in the near future. Was in a local shop saturday afternoon with my daughter and the manager is a guy I've talked to a ton. Said they had been considering bringing on Gibson but this kind of soured them to it. The whole thing runs counter to the whole whole ethos that drew me to music and away from the competitive sports world I was in. I no longer want that name hanging around my neck anymore than I want certain builders pedals no my board.
More power to ya.

Tom Von Kramm

Gold Supporting Member
Alright. I need someone to talk some sense into me. I have quite a few Gibsons that I love. But they make stupid business decisions. Do I continue playing this instruments in public in the midst of their crusade? Should I really care? Has the internet made us hyper aware of things that go on?
I've always wondered why TGP is so interested in the business/legal/corporate end of the music biz. I can't think of anything more boring.

Smoke coming out of Ace's three-pickup LP, Jimmy smacking the strings on his LP with a violin bow, Steve Jones straddling the stage monitors while grinding his dingy white stickered LP Custom, Joan Jett banging away on her LPJ, Angus strutting with his batwing SG, Pete M'F'n Townshend spread-eagle with his SG Special: None of this cool stuff has anything to do with what the dicks back in the corporate office are doing.

I've always wondered why TGP is so interested in the business/legal/corporate end of the music biz. I can't think of anything more boring.

Smoke coming out of Ace's three-pickup LP, Jimmy smacking the strings on his LP with a violin bow, Steve Jones straddling the stage monitors while grinding his dingy white stickered LP Custom, Joan Jett banging away on her LPJ, Angus strutting with his batwing SG, Pete M'F'n Townshend spread-eagle with his SG Special: None of this cool stuff has anything to do with what the dicks back in the corporate office are doing.
But, but, 2 minute internet videos, man!!
Someone think of the children!

therhodeo

More power to ya.
My point, which you'll likely dismiss as well, is that there are guys out there on both sides of your stated threshold for relevance as a musician/guitar buyer who are making decisions because of Gibson's actions that amount to real dollars and cents for Gibson and attacking those who have feelings on the subject based on how active they are as a musician misses the point entirely.

My point, which you'll likely dismiss as well, is that there are guys out there on both sides of your stated threshold for relevance as a musician/guitar buyer who are making decisions because of Gibson's actions that amount to real dollars and cents for Gibson and attacking those who have feelings on the subject based on how active they are as a musician misses the point entirely.
I’m am 100% behind you doing you.