The Alt.Country Club 33: Thirty Three and a Third

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bobbofallenstar, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

It took me a long while to convince myself that the Iron Man II was worth the spend, but after I got it I stopped considering buying a 5-10 watt amp which would have cost more. The IM2 lets me scale my Tex to any volume.

alamere, tigerfan2 and FonzieDog like this.
  2. pdodge77

pdodge77 Supporting Member

I’m really happy with my Weber Mini Mass and the Two Notes Torpedo Cab M. I think between both, I’m in for less than half of an OX. I have no doubt that the OX is better and has more features, but this works for me.

I popped out at lunch today and tried a Marrguar. @LordByron was right. It’s pretty awesome.

Minor complaint: I was surprised that the pickups are not hum cancelling when played in series. Not a deal breaker, but odd since that position is more likely to be played with dirt and generate noise.

Bigger complaint: the intonation screws for the High E and G strings were missing. I might not have noticed if the G hadn’t been so poorly intonated. Anyone know if this is a common occurrence on this bridge? It feels like a red flag for a brand new guitar in a shop.

Oh, the store I visited had just gotten in a Fender Princeton non Reverb. Not sure of the year, but it’s Blackface and still has a two prong plug. It has a little rust, but looked to be in good condition. The shop is Bills Music in Catonsville, MD - it was a long lunch break. ;-)

And then I came home and played my PRS CE24 tonight and got some of the best and most inspiring tones I’ve heard in a while. Maybe this guitar is a keeper after all.

3. pdodge77

Oh yeah - Stranger Things 3 is awesome. We just finished. I kind of think it’s the best season yet.

No spoilers, but the soundtrack and the use a real hits from the time period made it feel more compelling.

Two songs in particular were placed perfectly. I’d love to discuss once everyone who wants to has had a chance to watch.

4. nodepression

nodepression Member

Andy J., Crowder, triggercut and 2 others like this.
  5. Braunzo

Braunzo Member

Fussing with the bridge was the main reason I sold my Marr. Knowing now that I just needed to get a Mastery, I wish I still had it.

pdodge77 likes this.
  6. pdodge77

Yeah, but that’s another $180 on a guitar that already over $1,700.

therhodeo likes this.
  7. Braunzo

Braunzo Member

Which was the entire reason I sold it. I was aware of the Mastery. But I was miffed that I had to dump more money into an almost $2k guitar.

therhodeo likes this.
  8. tigerfan2

tigerfan2 Member

I haven’t tried any just starting to look. I was looking at the Ironman and the air brake but I knew there had been some talk about the ox.

Thanks.

FonzieDog likes this.
  9. tigerfan2

tigerfan2 Member

Finished it last night. Loved it.

pdodge77 likes this.
  10. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Clean up through the dial? Remember a price?

ChampReverb likes this.
  11. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

How big an amp do you want to attenuate?
    FYI, after Staytrem stopped shopping to the US Fender changed the design on current Marguars to almost exact Staytrem spec. You can buy them as a part.

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=111546

ChampReverb and Braunzo like this.
  12. dunnoaname

dunnoaname Member

I ventured outside the boat for a bit. I think TGP is at least 95% nonsense. I don't post here as much as the regulars, but I sure appreciate this thread!

I don't think I've shared my music in this thread. I play mostly in other people's bands, but I've recently started a project where I write and sing. It's exciting and fun and a little scary!

Here's some music:
    https://violethourband.bandcamp.com/

And this is our Instagram, which doesn't have much content yet.

Andy J., FonzieDog, Val Diaz and 10 others like this.
  13. triggercut

triggercut Member

Bill’s is a pretty nice store, I popped in there once a while back.

pdodge77 likes this.
  14. ShawnH

ShawnH Member

I'm about 4 episodes in I think and I am not having the same experience with it. Hopefully the next few episodes can change my mind. I think a big part of the problem for me is just the kids being older - it doesn't feel the same and there is obviously nothing that could be done about that. So far it feels very forced - like they had to come up with a 3rd season and didn't really have any new ideas. I like the 1st season the best.

christophervolume and MattH like this.
  15. Braunzo

Braunzo Member

I said they should have been done at Season 1. Season 2 was okay. Season 3 was better than Season 2. If they were smart, they'd end it here. But like anything that has interest or some money making capabilities, they will drive it into the ground and not focus on the art of making a great show/concept.

Garygtr likes this.
  16. triggercut

triggercut Member

The fact that Season 3 was as good as what it was (better than Season 2, although obviously not as good as Season 1) makes me a little more optimistic about a potential Season 4 (which, based on the ratings, seems likely). Probably one more season would suffice to tie up any loose ends.

17. Crowder

I haven't watched it yet but my wife and older son have so I'd best catch up.

I've been catching up on more episodes of Black Mirror. I'm less tempted to binge a show when every episode is a distinct story.

18. hubberjub

hubberjub Silver Supporting Member

But the kids will all be collecting social security by the time season 4 comes out.

pdodge77, tigerfan2 and ShawnH like this.
  19. Crowder

I'm guessing they'll reboot with another cast if it goes that far. Some of these kids are probably going to move on to...Bigger Things.

pdodge77 and tigerfan2 like this.
  20. whatdisay

whatdisay Gold Supporting Member

City on a Hill on Showtime is the best cop/lawyer type show since The Wire. In hindsight I wish we had waited till all episodes were out so we could properly binge. We’re getting Showtime for free right now via YouTube TV.