The Alt.Country Club 33: Thirty Three and a Third

Crowder

Dang Twangler
I wonder, are there actually people who find it easy to remember recurring meetings or events when they're scheduled on "the third Thursday of every month" or similar?

I never wake up and think "Okay, today's the second Tuesday of the month...what do I have going on today?"

The only person who finds this helpful is the person who is putting on the event. "Oh, this will be easy. We'll always do the first Monday of the month!"

Everyone else is screwed, especially if you have 4-5 of these to keep up with.

therhodeo

I wonder, are there actually people who find it easy to remember recurring meetings or events when they're scheduled on "the third Thursday of every month" or similar?

I never wake up and think "Okay, today's the second Tuesday of the month...what do I have going on today?"

The only person who finds this helpful is the person who is putting on the event. "Oh, this will be easy. We'll always do the first Monday of the month!"

Everyone else is screwed, especially if you have 4-5 of these to keep up with.
I'm someone who can forget meetings in the office in the 10 minute period between my meeting reminder and the actual meeting so...

mdrake34

I'm the odd man out I guess. Everybody keeps talking about how good Stranger Things 3 was and I just don't see it. The homages to 80's icons were too on the nose (even for a show that already catches hell for that), the story was too big in scale, constantly hitting you over the head with 80's hits instead of using more original music, and characters that were cartoonish compared to the prior seasons. I still liked it a lot and I'm a complete sucker for the 80's nostalgia thing, but it just was too big and over the top. To be clear, it's still one of my favorite shows. I've watched both Stranger Things and Stranger Things 2 multiple times.

Positives though: creature design, production value (thanks for the money Burger King and Coke!), Maya Hawke, and pacing. It was also pretty funny.
I just realized Maya Hawke is Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman's daughter.

I binged S3. It was good, not great. They cut out the awful Mutant X rip-off subplot from S2, but there were other faults. I did prefer Dustin being separated from the group the majority of the season vs. Eleven in S2 because the actor that plays Dustin has stronger acting chops and can carry scenes better than the actress that plays Eleven. Everyone was so impressed with her in season 1 because of how intense she was, but they haven't given much to work with since then. I hope she's humanized more in S4 based on how her character is left in S3.

tubby

One thing about 11 that bothers me is that sometimes she speaks in broken toddler sentences and sometimes not.

I mean I understand that originally she was practically feral but it’s just strange that she goes in between it now.
That's an issue with the show overall. Lots of good ideas followed up with poor writing. It's kind of like they have somewhere they want to get to, they pull of couple of tropes and homages out of a hat, and then try force their way to the end they have planned out.

It's a show that if I looked at it with a true critical eye and didn't get totally steamrolled by my love of 70's/80's scifi, horror, and synthwave/vhswave music, I'd rip it constantly.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
@Crowder - forget to mention that I'm really enjoying your album. Particularly like 'Company Car' & 'Livingston Street'. Your voice has a lovely wistfulness that really suits the lyrics. Guitars sound great, really well-produced too. Nice work fella!
Thanks very much! It always helps to get positive feedback.

I don't know about you, but for me this stuff becomes *really* hard to listen to after it's been released. I'm really glad people are digging it.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
That's an issue with the show overall. Lots of good ideas followed up with poor writing. It's kind of like they have somewhere they want to get to, they pull of couple of tropes and homages out of a hat, and then try force their way to the end they have planned out.

It's a show that if I looked at it with a true critical eye and didn't get totally steamrolled by my love of 70's/80's scifi, horror, and synthwave/vhswave music, I'd rip it constantly.
I'm guessing a lot of the inconsistency is down to editing. It's gotta be frustrating to try to get a show like this from storyboard to screen on time and on budget. Seems like it's more common to fail than succeed at it.

Trending Topics