The Alt.Country Club 33: Thirty Three and a Third

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bobbofallenstar, Mar 25, 2015.

1. tubby

tubby Member

We've discussed adding a rider to our homeowner's insurance for my toys with our insurance agent a couple of times. It would add a relatively small annual premium of I think about $250 to have all my stuff 100% insured as if it were full coverage car insurance. I have to provide pics and serial numbers for everything.

s360guitarist likes this.
  2. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

I just read that Bobbo had his rental car broken into and got a bunch of stuff stolen. Luckily his guitars weren't in the vehicle.

Bloody freaking thieves.

3. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

Not for the first time... Damn lowlives indeed.

s360guitarist and PlexiFuzz like this.
  4. whatdisay

whatdisay Gold Supporting Member

I have a stand alone policy for all guitars, amps and a few pricey effects. I think it costs less than $200/year. I have the KOT insured for $500,000.

5. ClinchFX

ClinchFX Vendor

I enjoyed it.

s360guitarist and Crowder like this.
  6. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...

I don't want to sound unsympathetic re poor Bobbo, but I don't leave anything in cars if they're not in a locked up space.
    Thinking that things aren't visible are at less risk of being stolen assumes that it is the contents of the vehicle that are the thieves objective.

I once had my car stolen with a boot (trunk) full of gear. The thieves wanted the car not the music gear inside. Very luckily for me the they weren't curious enough to look in the boot before they dumped the vehicle in a pine plantation North of Perth after the joyride.

7. whatdisay

I’m guessing that’s simply not always an option for many folks.

Andy J. likes this.
  8. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too. Silver Supporting Member

9. Grant Ferstat

10. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too. Silver Supporting Member

Shoulda known

Grant Ferstat and s360guitarist like this.
  11. Grant Ferstat

Well, maybe not always. But my theory is that if something was light enough to be stolen from a vehicle left outside of a residence overnight, it could have been carried inside.

12. Grant Ferstat

Another tale of woe in the gear left in car series. There is a hotel in the middle of Melbourne pretty popular with bands that are on tour there touring at the budget level. I stayed there with The Jaycos on a few occasions. It has a great central location, lots of individual character compared to the common chains and it has secure on-site parking. There are attendants there 24 hours to monitor access to the parking area.

Some friends of ours feeling confident with that arrangement left the band's gear in the rented Tarago. Turns out though that when the hotel's parking hits capacity they have an arrangement with the multi-story car park just up the street to handle overflow.

Tarago gets moved to multi-story car park. You know how this one ends....

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  13. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

The police department in our little town keeps posting on its Facebook page reminding people to lock their cars at night. Apparently a lot of us don't, and some even leave their keys in the car overnight. Petty theft is the inevitable result.

My wife is bad about this. I have to remind her that anyone who gets in our cars can open our garage door and come on into the house if they want to.

14. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

15. Grant Ferstat

Yep stand alone musical insurance policy for me. It actually DOES cover theft from locked vehicles and also accidental damage.

I'm not sure how insurance works in the US and other territories but at least in Australia, if you're performing with your equipment your household contents policy often will not cover theft of your musical equipment even if it is stolen from your home. The insurance company can argue that you have changed the risk because your equipment has become publicly visible.

I've had friends knocked back on claims for stolen musical equipment even when they the instruments/gear listed as specified items because the insurance company found out that the equipment was being used 'professionally'.

If you're going to insure through your household policy make doubly sure that you have made it very clear that your gear is used for live performance and that there is no fine print that would preclude a claim.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Crowder and s360guitarist like this.
  16. Grant Ferstat

Yeah it does. It has ALL the features I asked them for a couple of years ago. Their description of it basically matches my text! Who'd have thought Matt Schofield and I would have such similar tastes :)

I think I might have documented that on this thread when they first announced it. I don't know why more people doing duals don't configure them so you can stack OR toggle. That's always been my complaint.

17. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Very "alt" as country goes but Buddy Cage was a bad mofo. Nashville could have used more of him or Kleinows (or Weldon Myricks weird whole tone craziness for that matter) weirdness and less of Lloyd Green throwing strikes right down the middle.

Pablomago and hubberjub like this.
  18. pdodge77

pdodge77 Member

I’d love to hear more. Is it through your homeowners?

19. whatdisay

Yep. I just emailed our agent one day and told her I wanted a separate policy just for the gear and she made it happen. Nationwide.

20. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Big problem in Nashville, getting worse. People leaving guns in cars exacerbates the problem :rolleyes:

s360guitarist and Grant Ferstat like this.