The Alt.Country Club 33: Thirty Three and a Third

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bobbofallenstar, Mar 25, 2015.

1. shikawkee

shikawkee The One True King

I've tried to block that idiot out of my head as much as possible. Word is getting around Nashville that he's a tool so karma is a bitch.
    It's funny, Gary and I went to see our (former) drummer play a gig and he was there and when he saw me he disappeared pretty fast. He wants no part of me I can tell you. Hehehe...

jota likes this.
  2. lakesider

lakesider Silver Supporting Member

high Zoot!

Garygtr likes this.
  3. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

"Convince the girl" lol. That might be a great band name.

jota likes this.
  4. Crowder

@Bobbofallenstar I feel for you and wish the best. We're at that age where we have to manage the difficult transition from still feeling like the kids in the family to being the oldest adults. I'm jealous of your relationship with your dad. My dad and I are like oil and water.

Bobbofallenstar likes this.
  5. beautiful liar

beautiful liar Member

Some of you here may be interested in this. I met him here in Krakow, but here's my old friend from Georgia. (no, not that Georgia, the other one)

6. Drumnbum

Drumnbum Member

So sorry to hear that. I wish you and yours peace during the tough times ahead.

Bobbofallenstar likes this.
  7. Bobbofallenstar

Bobbofallenstar Member

It took a long time to get there. We are two very different guys that never really bonded over much of anything. He married my mom when I was 3 and I was adopted by him when I was 4 or 5. Only Dad I ever knew.

Quick musical story - we used to rehearse in my parents basement (when were in high school and shortly thereafter) and once when we were first learning our instruments, we were going to town with the electric guitars and making a glorious racket when all of a sudden the lights are going off and on and off and on. We all stop playing and a booming voice from the top of the stairs: "HEY RINGO - PLAY THE GUITARS WITH THE HOLES IN THEM!"

Guitars with the holes in them = Acoustic guitars.

At 17 years old it pissed me off but at 44 it really makes me laugh.

8. erksin

erksin Member

'Ringo' lol

Bobbofallenstar and Crowder like this.
  9. Crowder

One thing I definitely give my parents props for was allowing their basement to be a band practice space for a lot of years. They went to church on Sunday and Wednesday evenings, so band practices were always Sundays and Wednesdays at 7. They took a lot of crap from certain neighbors about the noise. I appreciate that.

hubberjub and Bobbofallenstar like this.
  10. shikawkee

shikawkee The One True King

My dad would just shut off the lights and lock me down there. I had to figure out how to pop the latch pretty quick.

earthmud, Drumnbum, erksin and 4 others like this.
  11. ShawnH

ShawnH Member

That is a nice memory. Funny as we get older how much our perspective changes. Wishing you and your family the best Bobbo.

erksin likes this.
  12. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

Sorry to hear that Bobbo, I hope you get to see him again.

13. pdodge77

pdodge77 Supporting Member

Thinking of you @Bobbofallenstar. Safe travels and best wishes. No amount of moments will be enough and you'll be surprised by the ones you remember and when you think of them.

My dad died just under ten years ago (it will be ten in July). The last conversation we had was via phone while I was driving to a Belle & Sebastian and Broken Social Scene show. My dad was in the hospital after having a procedure for prostate cancer but was doing extremely well. At the time, my wife was pregnant with our oldest and my father and I were joking about the BabyCenter e-mails that charted the size of the developing fetus in relation to food items. That week, my daughter "was the size of a kumquat."

My dad's health took a sudden turn for the worse and was killed by a blood clot while I was watching the Broken Social Scene set. The set ended and I saw that I had three voicemails and about ten missed calls. My brother caught me before my mom could and he relayed the news. It made it easier for when my mom told me a few minutes later. My wife asked if I wanted to go home, but I stayed and watched the B&S show. It's not like there was anything I could do at that point and three hours wasn't going to make a difference in plane ticket prices...

To this day, any time I hear Anthems for a 17 Year-Old Girl, I think of my dad. It's the last song I heard before I learned he was gone...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    SgtYork, Drumnbum, PlexiFuzz and 8 others like this.
  14. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too. Silver Supporting Member

Man, it's nice to have a friend who's a badass luthier and also an ace set-up guy.

I just got my tele back from a setup (relief, intonation, light fret leveling, etc.) and it plays better than it has in the 8 years I've owned it.

He also set the pickup height to the way he thought they sounded best, and I've gotta say it sounds more like a telecaster than it ever has. He told me he'd set it back to the way I had it if I wanted, but I definitely will not take him up on that.

And finally he replaced the dodgy switch, which he said was wired in a very strange way. Not sure what the deal was, but now I retain a ton of treble when I dial back the volume. Feels like I got a new guitar.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    Garygtr, Pablomago, erksin and 4 others like this.
  15. Cornbread

Cornbread Member

Really sorry to hear Bobbo! I dread having to deal with that eventually, in the meantime I definitely do not take for granted the times I get to hang out with my dad. And when my daughter joins us it's even better.

Pablomago and Bobbofallenstar like this.
  16. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

When I was in high school we once set up a drum kit and had a practice in my parents living room. We were finishing up when my dad came home from work. He sat down at the kit and drummed up a storm, got up and went to his bedroom to change clothes. I was amazed. He had never mentioned any interest in playing music (though he loved listening to it) and never told me he'd played drums. And he never mentioned it again as long as he lived. One of those family mysteries.

mdrake34, SgtYork, narwhale and 2 others like this.
  17. hubberjub

hubberjub Silver Supporting Member

Dropped my stupid fricking Soldano Astroverb off at the amp doctor again. I've owned it for eight years, and it's been the most fickle amp. I've broken two reverb tanks, and it's had a persistent issue where it overheats and then goes into a constant, loud buzz and passes no signal (other than the buzz). I've had it checked by two very well regarded amp guys. They've adjusted biases. I had a standby switch installed. I had them replace the plastic tube sockets with ceramic sockets. I actually love the amp, but at this point, I need to get the problem sorted out and get something more reliable and durable. I definitely have a lemon. I don't know when to throw in the towel. It's a good thing I don't have kids. The theory of tough love eludes me.

Cornbread and Crowder like this.
  18. erksin

erksin Member

You're not the only guy I know to have issues with that particular amp.

19. triggercut

triggercut Silver Supporting Member

20. jota

jota Member

How I wish my AS73 could sound bright and bity like this 335:

earthmud and Knobby like this.