The Alt. Country Club: Thrice Revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lampasas

Just finished a GGG Red Llama clone. Pretty funky boost-- thick, ragged, can get really loud, sounds not so pleasant through a clean amp on its own, but loves either a hot amp or a light OD after it. Not sure yet if it will make the board, but I think I understand why folks like these.

tzamosti

Gold Supporting Member
So...does the Teixeira (sp) overlap too much with a Swart AST? Not ready to sell that one just yet.

This looks like a great gigging amp (small-medium gig). Wish it had reverb and trem, but the Cripps model, with a bit of a higher gain might not need any reverb to get its point across.

It looks like its a great amp (and I am a huge fan of the lead guitar tones on Kathleen Edwards' albums. I would be very interested in this amp...but it would mean a sale of my Juke (a very toneful amp in its own right).

Finally got some new pickups for my #2 tele. Had a gift certificate to Sam Ash and I got some Barden's. So far I really like them. So different but still telecaster-ish. I've heard people say that they are really bright sounding but so far I've found that just rolling off the tone knob has made them very cool to me.

Jacobpaul81

The big 7591A amps like 'em too - I have a '66 Gemini II here for the summer...
yes, I know! This is from circa 2003. If you look in the photographs in The Big Come Up, Dan used the Ampeg Gemini all over that record. I can't tell if it's a Gemini I or II from this pic but I think it's a I. When I was first searching for an Ampeg, I wanted a Gemini I or an early Reverberocket. The Little Jet's nice, but it'd be nice to jump up a size and find a Gemini with the 12" speaker. Not sure if these ever came with a 5y3GT in the rectifier. Don't have the ampeg book handy to say. Most the mid-late 60s amps have solid state rectifiers. I'm sure that 66 is solid state.

coldfingaz

My 5 watt '60 GA5 is amazing. Recently running an Esquire (with a HD S90) through a DLS into that amp was as good of tone as I've ever gotten.

I also don't play anything over 18 watts live... headroom's not been an issue to date, and I'd hope to be able to mic my cab if it ever becomes a problem. I had an Orange Rocker 30, which I kept thinking I'll need to replace, but it did nothing that the Winfield Cyclone or Carmen Ghia can't... especially with the O/D pedal options I have. I hope I never need more than 18 watts... the portability is awesome.

Jacobpaul81

I need to stay out of guitar shops. A local shop had a 61 Gretsch 6120 single cut. Beautiful guitar. Loved it. Would prefer a double cut, and I didn't $4500 love it, but I loved it. Darn Gretsch gas returns.

Grant Ferstat

Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...
Why didn't you like it?
Well. I just found the set and forget mix/repeat thing impractical for me.

I also found it quite noisy. I don't want my delay to add a significant amount of noise-I already have overdrives and boost to do that!

I'm not talking noisy repeats I'm actually talking noise as soon as you turn on the pedal. I noticed the noise even in rehearsal.

I need to stay out of guitar shops. A local shop had a 61 Gretsch 6120 single cut. Beautiful guitar. Loved it. Would prefer a double cut, and I didn't $4500 love it, but I loved it. Darn Gretsch gas returns.
that's a good one...one thing about vintage gretsches, you can still get good ones for a decent price compared to other vintage axes (fender, Gibson)

I haven't been in a shop for a while. I'll probably have to stay out of one until after the wedding...then I'll have some wedding money...but I highly doubt I'll get to use it for gear. Oh well, by then I should have my car paid off so I can use that extra money :).

gtrshow

Finally getting around to posting in Thrice Revisited...

Just wondering if anyone here is using a Dr. Z amp. I took a Carmen Ghia head in partial trade on another amp a few weeks ago and the thing is loaded with alt.c approved goodness. Takes pedals like nobody's business too. A pretty loud 18 watter and though not renowned for clean headroom, you can coax a decent amount with the right approach. I actually didn't expect to like it so much, having owned a Z many moons ago that left me cold, but now have a 6V6 based Z-28 on the way to pair with the Ghia in an A/B setup.

While I'm at it, I scored this CIJ '72 Custom RI (w/ vintage Fender HB and Lollar bridge p/u) a couple of months ago. It's been serving as a nice complement to my semi-hollow G&L Bluesboy.

And finally, a thumbs up for the Nick Greer Ghetto Stomp. I'm really digging mine. I've been flitting back and forth between it and a Menatone Dirty Blonde for tweed-like break up. Slightly different in nature, but both great.

coldfingaz

Finally getting around to posting in Thrice Revisited...

Just wondering if anyone here is using a Dr. Z amp. I took a Carmen Ghia head in partial trade on another amp a few weeks ago and the thing is loaded with alt.c approved goodness. Takes pedals like nobody's business too. A pretty loud 18 watter and though not renowned for clean headroom, you can coax a decent amount with the right approach. I actually didn't expect to like it so much, having owned a Z many moons ago that left me cold, but now have a 6V6 based Z-28 on the way to pair with the Ghia in an A/B setup.

Yup, another Ghia owner here. I think it's a pretty magical sounding amp. I don't need tons of clean headroom so it's all good for me. Sounds amazing through a Celestion Blue. It will sound killer paired with a Z-28. Nice Tele. too!

Philly Fuzz

Just got back from seeing Leonard Cohen. Just... wow. Spectacular. He's 74 and played for 3 full hours (with just a short intermission)!!! Great show all around. See him if you can, this could be his last tour. :(

Plus, the keyboard player played a Hammond B3 w/Leslie speaker and the lead guitarist played a Tele Thinline.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Gold Supporting Member
Heard a bunch of the new Wilco record-not so "Dad Rock" as the last but I'm not sure there's a super standout as well-but there's so major craft going on-nice tones-a lot of "Impossible Germany"-esque CAN hijinx-a bunch of future "what effect is Nels using between 2:35-2:57" threads-Nels is less a prop and more part of the band-also, Feist.

thedroid

The second tuner is for my acoustic.... Planning on getting a nice DI too.
I use a similar set up: Tim, two tuners, DI box -- but I have a Throbak ODB for fuzz sounds. I had the Mule but needed more EQ control. I want to try the Crazy Horse someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics