The Alt.Country Club

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by erksin, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tdu

tdu Member

Ya I am guessing it's a 66' from info I have found online.

If I have ever played what I consider an 'alt-country' sounding amp it's this one. It's impossible to explain, but it's just got a unique sound even in the reverb and tremolo that is just killer. Especially when I run my Reverend Flatroc into it.

2. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

I have a pair of coil split Seth Lovers in a Melancon Custom Artist T. In my case, while I generally agree with erskin's comment above that they can sound "thin and almost out of phase or something", I'd stop short of "Weak, honky crap."

They're not bad sounding at all, but lack the fullness of a decent single coil. It's a compromise for sure, and I'm not convinced that it's worth the added bit of versatility given that it's pretty hard to EQ a single channel amp in a way that both settings sound "right". Multiple channels or amps might make it more worthwhile.

3. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...

Happy New Year all!

Incoming...

BJF Snow White Fuzz-fingers crossed that this will be MY fuzz

Outgoing...

65 Amps London!

4. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

I just got myself, what sounds like, a late 60's early 70's Ampeg Jet. The guy should be bringing it to me this week. I'm doing some work for him and got the amp in return. Needs a new speaker though. Should be a very cool amp.

5. Grant Ferstat

+1

Coil splits...never liked it. Generally thin and wirey and terrible signal to noise due to very low output single coil mode.

I've had better results with switching between series and parallel humbucking modes.

6. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Member

Congrats on the Fuzz.

Sorry to hear about the London. What about it didn't work for you? Or did the AST just wipe the floor with it? :eek:

7. ibobunot

ibobunot Member

8. Grant Ferstat

Well, the AST being a single 12" is doing the low volume gigs for me really well and providing me with a totally different sort of voice.

The London being an 18 watt 2 x 12" was still a bit loud for some situations but in bigger gig situations I found the AC30's extra headroom made the AC30 sound a little "bigger" & tighter than the London..although the London has a creamier sort of tone that is very appealing in other ways.

It's not that either the AST or AC30 wiped the floor with the London or that it didn't work it's more that for what I paid for the London it didn't wipe the floor with my Vox. There is in fact a fair bit of overlap tonally and I'd rate them more or less equal.

9. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Member

Hmm, The London (and maybe the Gabriel Voxer18)is an amp I'd like to try, but with my Club Royale around, it might be a little redundant, considering I havent played an el84 amp since that has given me the magic that it has. Plus the CR has a great Master volume, which helps take some DB's out of the mix...might throw a GB and blue in there...to help add some chime and get some creaminess in there (I'm currently running a G12H and a Fane V30, too marshally for the more voxy tones I'm trying to coax out of it) The CR did beat out a Korg AC15 reissue for touch/dynamics and weight (the 1x12 AC15 was a heavy sunuva gun). I think my 2x12 CR weighs in at around 40-50 lbs.

I still need to get out and try an AST. I think Chicago is the closest dealer. seems like it would pair up nice, and fill the tonal spectrum. Plus, I miss an amp with on board trem and reverb. It also seems like it would rock with a gretsch or a filtertron equipped guit (on my list for next guitar). I wonder how the Honey Bee would sound through this :drool:

10. Brick

Brick Member

Happy New Year back'atcha

Snow White Fuzz...is that the one someone described as a 'Honey Bee Fuzz'? Looking forward to this review. :Devil

11. Grant Ferstat

Not sure but apparently it is ultra dynamic and kinda sweet so that would fit that moniker I guess.

12. Brick

Brick Member

I just did a quick search, DonnerR called it that....

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/3333986

Sounds like it's going to be a very cool addition

13. Grant Ferstat

14. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Member

Dynamic Fuzz?

Bjorn keeps comin' out with the hits.

I just had a relevation tonight with my BJF lineup. The SBEQ is truly a gate keeper.

15. Grant Ferstat

Whatcha using in the BJFE's?

16. Grant Ferstat

Yes you do need to try one!

It's a great compliment for an EL84 valve rectified amp IMO for a couple of reasons.

It doesn't feel "stiff" to play. I find that after having used my AC30 for so long when I plug into lots of Fenders BF, SF etc they feel rather stiff to me. The AST has give when you lean into it and the mids thicken but it's not as raw and spitty as a lot of tweeds and not too loose.

While the AST offers some similarity in feel to my AC30 it sounds very, very different and as mentioned it's nice to have that built in verb and trem.

With my London and AC30 as I've already mentioned I tend to be constantly evaluating one agaist the other due to their tonal overlap. With the AST I just plug in and play it for what it is.

It's soulful!

17. aidan7737

aidan7737 Member

I know that Christmas is all behind us but I thought this would be the ideal place to share a "Chrissy strumming with cool piece of gear" pic. Apologies for the ginger kid attached to the guitar; twas the only photo taken of my uncle's '69!

[​IMG]

18. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Member

I have a Red Rooster Booster, Emerald Green Distortion, Honey Bee (these were grad presents to myself) and a Sea Blue EQ. I'm kind of on the fence with the SBEQ, but I think I just need to play around with it more and see the range and sweet spot (I got it used and didn't come with the spec sheet). I love the other three though. I pretty much leave the RRB on all the time, great with a tele into my Tophat. I had a EGD before but my new one seems a little more Voxy, and I love the HB but I'm still trying to find the spot on the knobs where I'm happiest...which I don't think will happen, since all the tones have sounded great.

If I don't end up keeping the SBEQ, I may look into the MP Mellow Yellow Trem, I've heard it adds a little sparkle and fatness...ofcourse this will vary rig to rig....might be better used than my TR-2.

I definitely need to check out some swarts...One of my buddies, whose wedding I'm in next fall, wants to have his bachelor party in chicago....maybe I would have time to peek into Make-n-music and check them out. "Soulful", I like the sound of that

19. Don Rusk

Don Rusk BearFoot FX Owner

Heheh - Well we considered 'Yellow Snow Fuzz' ..... but Honey Bee Fuzz gets the point across a little better I think ;)

20. Brick

Brick Member

:roll

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.