The Alt.Country Club

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by erksin, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Member

I have some extra holiday gift cards to use up...just wondering what you guys were listening to lately? I don't think I picked up much from this past year( as far as American/Alt.country goes)...Wilco and Ryan Adams (both)...I don't think I got too much new music this year at all...mostly older stuff. Anyways, what do you guys recommend?

2. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

Not new, but I finally "discovered" the Bottle Rockets this year and have been into them in a major way ever since.

The latest pair from Blackie & The Rodeo Kings, Let's Frolic and Let's Frolic Again, have been the source of much enjoyment as well.

3. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...

A while ago I had ordered a BJF PGC and was sent an SBEQ that was intended for someone else by mistake. Before I sent it on to it's rightful owner I gave it a quick spin. Although it was not something that I'd have on an electric board I thought it was an outstanding acoustic boost. Didn't seem to mess with phase the way most boost/EQ pedals do which I find quite noticeable on amplified acoustic.

I'm also pretty interested in trying that Mad Professor Trem. I still haven't found "the" trem. I like my Cusack for functionality and it does sound good but I preferred my old Demeter for tone. Only problem with the Demeter was the big non-adjustable volume jump. Sometimes you want to be subtle you know!

4. netraam

netraam Member

+1 on that!

Colin Linden from the 'Kings is a terrific guitarist as well, methinks.

5. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

Nice to know that there's at least one other B.A.R.K. fan here, and from the NL no less! I don't think they're too widely distributed outside Canada. GREAT live band too. Supremely talented and don't take themselves too seriously. Tons o' fun.

6. netraam

netraam Member

B.A.R.K. did a number of shows in Germany and Great Britain last year, but for some reason they didn't come to the Netherlands in between. That was a real bummer. Their records have definitely been my favourites, since I found out about them (some 18 months ago I guess).

7. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Long time lurker on this thread. Thought I'd throw my name in the hat for the alt country club.
    I've got a 65 Amps London head with a 2x12 Avatar cab. Couple of pedals that I'm constantly in a love/hate relationship with. Just got a brand new Duesenberg Starplayer TV. I think its going to be a fantastic guitar for some alt-country pickin. You can check my review out if you'd like.
    Love me some Ryan Adams, Wilco, Son Volt, Tift Merritt, John Hiatt, Norah jones, and The Band.
    Cheers to a good thread.

8. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

Good thread, indeed! :AOK

What are the details on your Avatar... open or closed back, which speakers? I'm curious because I have a couple myself that I mix and match with a Heritage Briton II and Victory.

9. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

10. Grant Ferstat

11. themusicboxstudios

thanks ... i get more nervous when I make vids than I do when I play live. lol.

12. Grant Ferstat

Nothing to get nervous about-you're a very musical guy. I've always liked what I've heard of your stuff.

And damn you-I remember when I was that slim! :)

13. erksin

erksin Member

Easily the best sounding demo of my favorite amp - nice Jonathan!

People never believe me about the headroom for such a small amp, but it's there.

Does yours have the stock speaker?

:AOK

14. Brick

Brick Member

Yeah, I dug it too. Sounded great and very nice playing. Very cool.

15. themusicboxstudios

and to think ... i almost sold the amp last night ... i even had a buyer. :nono

i was gonna buy another one anyways ... but at these prices ... no need to sell any of them. :D

16. themusicboxstudios

Thanks! The amp in the vid has an Eminence Cannabis Rex (I have the original still) ... but the one in boston still has the original ... sounds wonderful.

17. erksin

erksin Member

I need a couple of CRs - one for my Ampeg, and I think one for the Falcon too.

18. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

I've got the open back 2x12 with the oval port in the back. I forgot which one it is called by Avatar. I ditched the Hellatone 60s for a G12H30 and Celestion Blue. (I coundn't afford the 65 Amps 2x12 cab so I made my own). I'm happy with my decision.

19. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

Just got a 2006 Burst Eternity and I cant believe it has taken me this long to get one. This was the first pedal I have ever bought then plugged it in and was floored, my jaw hit the floor. AMAZING PEDAL!!!

20. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I loved the clip. I'm once again, inspired to try one of them Falcons. :AOK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.