The Alt.Country Club

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by erksin, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...

I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone here.

Teles, AC30's or similar or my Swart.

Pedals..For me it goes somewhat like this:-

• Low gain "clear" overdrive typically a Timmy used to add a little additional rhythm edge to just-clipping amp without messing with the amp tonality too much. My core rhythm tone.
    • Low gain "warmer" overdrive. Used alone as an alternative rhythm sound especially for riff based rhythm themes to suupply a little more compressed feel. Also gets stacked with the Timmy very occasionally for a big rock crunch tone that can sing into feedback.
    • Clean boost. Depending on the amp/gig I will sometimes use my RC Booster and sometimes my Klon. I use them to boost solos post overdrives or on their own.
    • Trem
    • Delay. A little slap on solos or I tap in a long loping thing occasionally for textural volume swells.
    Like Erksin I've always appreciated the merits of fuzz for Alt-Country but struggled to make one work for me. Nice Mr Mailman just delivered a BJF Snow White Fuzz for me this morning so I'll be looking forward to giving it a try.

I'm awaiting a Dumb Bell and over the next month or so very exciting custom stuff from Telenordia and Paul C.

2. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...

BJF Snow White Fuzz sounds VERY cool.

Trying not to get too excited!

3. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

Do tell! Which flavour does it most resemble?

4. jayn

jayn Member

I like...light compression (set to slight boost) --> Low/mid gain OD --> trem --> delay --> fender tweed or vox style amp set so that's it's breaking up just a touch.

5. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

the stuff you guys have mentioned on the "essential" gear is what I was thinking also, just wanted to get opinions.

On a side note. Check out the Cats Eye Hop Head if you get a chance, its a tone bender clone. Sounds AWESOME!!!!

6. Brick

Brick Member

I think this question is the one Bulldog posted that kick started the original Alt Country thread. :D

And I agree with the suggested "essentials".

What I want to hear about and see a picture of is the Snow White Fuzz......

7. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

Me too. Is this pedal available now? And is it as good as everyone says it is? Or as good as the price says it is?

8. netraam

netraam Member

9. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

That's been years ago. :rotflmao

And Many, Many Pedals ago.

10. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

I got a question for you guys, What's your favorite guitar tone from an Alt Country or similar genre? Is there a song that everytime you hear it, you think, ****, that's it, that's the tone!

The song with "that tone" was on Baby I'm Bored, 2003. Evan Dando's first solo album featured a little ditty: "In The Grass All Wine-Colored". It's a very simple tune, with only one line of lyrics, a piano, and an acoustic guitar. Dando has a very Graham Parson's vibe on the tune, really on the whole record for that matter.

The tone I hear in my head, is the electric guitar tone on that song, played by Howe Gelb. It's this nice warm delayed, almost clean tone, and about midway through, it get's juiced up with fuzz. I don't know if the fuzz is on the whole way through the song, and he's just rolling the guitars volume, but I love how it emerges from the cleaner tone, and sits beautifuly behind the acoustic guitar and piano.

Let's hear it boys!

11. netraam

netraam Member

Doug Pettibone's tone on Lucinda Williams' Live At The Fillmore- especially during the solos in 'Pineola'. Just perfect.

12. erksin

erksin Member

Gah - too many to list...

I love Dave Boquists tones on the first Son Volt record though.

13. sandman

sandman Member

Can't find the Dando CD @the moment but I remember the song... I've seen Howe with Roger Mayer Octavia...believe he also digs Emma Reeza...He's probably playing his red Duo Jet into whatever he had at hand...

14. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Certainly true. There's many tones i love. This particular song, and particular tone, just stand out to me. :AOK

15. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Interesting. I have no idea what the guitar is, but if it's a duo jet, i may need one of those. =)

16. Lampasas

Lampasas Member

The Jayhawks, "Miss Williams' Guitar," without a doubt. Both the rhythm and lead tones. As soon as I got that record, I went out and bought a non-reverb BF Fender Deluxe and a Fuzz Face and haven't looked back. Honorable mention: Boquist on the first Son Volt record. None of the TS-9s I've owned in the past sounded remotely that good.

17. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

The tones that sort of set the standard for me are:

Son Volt - Trace and Okemah (for fuzz)
    Wilco - Being There
    Tom Petty - entire catalog

18. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

There's some great tones on Being There. I love a great acoustic tone, namely a J-45, and that album has J-45 all over it. :AOK

Another tone I really like, while I'm discussing wilco, on the I'm Trying to Break Your Heart dvd, there's a take of "How To Fight Loneliness". Jay's playing Jeff's Gibson 330, and I have no idea what it's going into, but its gotta be straight into an amp. Jay has beautiful natural tone.

19. sandman

sandman Member

There's no such thing as alt.country sound. It's the song and how you use whatever you've got - assuming it's a quality piece of gear. There, I said it.

20. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Great job jerk. Now what are we supposed to talk about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.