The amazing and mindblowing Mitch Chmara

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by zenguitarguy, Mar 28, 2015.

1. zenguitarguy

zenguitarguy Member

Had to post this for all my guitar pals, this is the amazing and kind and extremely talented Mitch Chmara​!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=57&v=J_ZybFEmtvQ

He can literally play any style and is one of the most advanced harmonic players since Ted Greene, he is playing a whole lotta notes here to just warm up jis hands but listen to his Jazz playing or chord work or just cool approaches to playing and it is ust mind blowing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEW_opAAxuY

BuddyGuit likes this.
  2. zenguitarguy

zenguitarguy Member

3. zenguitarguy

zenguitarguy Member

Lucidology likes this.
  4. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Wow, pretty amazing player.

The Cream/ Schoenberg medley was fun too - very nice. Interesting to me how he sounded quite similar on a Strat AND an ES-345 ....

John, YOUR band also sounds great. I especially like the clip of "Let a Woman be a Woman" from your latest CD. Great to have Mike Finnegan playing keys, he's also a great singer as I'm sure you know.

Thanks for this, I confess I'd never heard of Mitch - that in and of itself is a shame - he's very skilled.

Are you guys, or Mitch, playing around the LA area? Any gigs coming up?

Thanks, Dana O.

Lucidology likes this.
  5. zenguitarguy

zenguitarguy Member

Thanks Dana, although I am not in Mitch's league at all, not sure anyone is! lol. I have known mitch more then thirty years as we were both students of Ted Greene, but we only just met a few months ago! He is very inspiring and I believe his chord work is a very definite extension of Ted's work. I love the way Mitch [lays and his dedication and skill are just amazing.

Mitch is based out of Denver, and I am not playing out that much these days.

I am recording a new Ted Greene Tribute CD this year and am doing occasional small tours and available for producing and mixing projects. And Yes Finnigan is one of the best, he sings his heart out all over that CD!

Thanks for the kind words!

J

6. Noah

Noah Supporting Member

Did he study with Don Mock in the past?
    I recognized some of those licks in the live video where he's playing the fast fusion stuff as Don Mock signature licks. I've never heard of Mitch Chmara before, but wow.. he's great.

Lucidology likes this.
  7. BBSuggs

BBSuggs Gold Supporting Member

If I could play like that, that's how I'd play.

Lucidology likes this.
  8. zenguitarguy

zenguitarguy Member

I honestly don't know his entire history but I do know he is an insatiable and avid student of the instrument. He teaches online and plays gigs in Colorado. I definitely think we, as a guitar community, should spread the word about him and support his efforts!

His website:
    http://mitchchmara.com/

Tell him John sent you!! lol

:dude:dude:dude

9. will132

will132 Member

10. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Wow this post totally surprised me. Mitch was my guitar teacher back in 1990 at a small place called Robb's Music up in Boulder Colorado. I went in there one day because I decided I wanted to play guitar. I bought this very inexpensive guitar and they said if you want to learn jazz you will want to study with Mitch. Did my first lesson with him and really enjoyed it, very cool jazz cat. As I'm leaving he says "you know that's not a jazz guitar right?" and gives me this look to let me know he's messing with me :). I go upstairs and see a black Ibanez Artist AR50 on consignment. Never seen one before and I was in love. Robb was nice enough to let me trade other one back and get the Artist. Still have it :)

Due to grad school I only took lessons for a year and a half. Started back up with him in 1995ish when I moved back to Denver. One day I get to his house, go in the practice room and there is some killer Benson going. Except right away I notice that the backing band seems slightly different. Mitch says "who is this playing?" I answered it's clearly George Benson, but that's not his normal band. Mitch laughs and says "no that's me".

He sent me to get a Real Book from store and the guy said "I've known Mitch since he was a teenager. At 16 I remember he could play Hendrix stuff note for note"

Anyway death in my family stopped my studies with him in 1997.

My biggest regret is that I didn't love learning guitar yet (as I came to truly love it 6 years ago and continue to this day) when I studied with him. Back then, I loved listening to great players and "liked" learning guitar. So I truly missed out on really learning from him because he was an excellent teacher. I'm so glad to read he is alive and well.

11. zenguitarguy

zenguitarguy Member

Robb is a dear friend of mine and in fact we just played together recently in Boulder! and yes Mitch has long been a mind boggling musicians and inspiration to many!

12. Noah

Noah Supporting Member

Yeah, the guy is a flat-out killer guitarist! The reason I asked about the Don Mock stuff is because I've been playing some of those speedy and awkward string skipping licks for many years as part of a warm up routine. I still can't play them anything like this guy! I suck...lol!

13. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Cool John ...

I've posted here on Mitch before and absolutely got no response ...
    Been hearing about Mitch now for a few years from Kim ... A total Mo Fo.

14. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

thanks for posting! mitch is a total badass!

Lucidology likes this.
  15. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

Amazing player, flat out phenomenal!

16. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

I lived in Boulder and Denver for 2 years in the early/mid 90s. I heard about Mitch and some of the guys I played with played with him but I was too caught up in my own stuff to go hear him or study with him. I regret that now. He's killer.

17. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

I REALLY dig that version of White Room. Never thought I'd say that....

18. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

19. keithshapiro

keithshapiro Member

Hey, just saw this thread and thought I'd chime in. I've been working with Mitch Chmara on his books. The long awaited Melodic Contours in Bop I is available now along with the insanely incredible Experiential Contrary Motion. I know this because we took his books that were on paper and put them into production. Melodic Contours in Bop II is being produced as we speak and should be available in early 2018. Unfortunately, mitchchmara.com is no longer active but he can be found and reached out to on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1266118807 and for some recent video, here's a clip of a show shot on my iPhone. It's really an amazing performance. I have more but this was the clip Mitch decided on releasing. Mitch Chmara Live at Caffe Sole 8/05/2017 - Georgia On My Mind (Clip). I am happy to say that not only is Mitch one of the planet's premier guitar players, he's an amazing free music thinking enthusiast and probably one of my best friends in the world. Lesson's I've taken from Mitch are timeless in my world and I try to absorb as much as I can. The great thing is, I can go back to a lesson and they keep on giving. This is not a cat to miss if you can go see him play. He's the epitome of what a guitar player can aspire to with dedication and focus. Enjoy

Keith