The Amazing Bionic Hillbilly Solo Bed!!!!

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by scottl, Jan 30, 2006.

1. scottl

scottl Member

I recorded three takes over Bionic Hillbilly. They are in order of take. As is often the case, the first one maybe the freshest. Sometimes it is best to just hit record ;) Any feedback on which tone is best woudl be kindly appreciated!

SOD50 amp,90s voice, Eminence Red White and Blue, Audix I5 mic, Baker RF bridge.

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/glas/bionic01RWBHRM.MP3 EH preamp tubes, more bass into OD, sort of ignored change to E at times.

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/glas/bionic047RWBHRM.MP3 EH preamp tubes, less bass into OD, more bass on backend, nothing like totally ignoring the change to E! LOL

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/glas/BionicHillbillyRWB1.MP3 GE preamp tubes. Done this morning before work. Same settings in general as take 1. Did not ignore the change to E.

Many many thanks to the Uber-talented John Czajkowski for this amazing track. Please visit his website. He is a KILLER. http://www.hecticwatermelon.com/

Here is the backing again. http://www.hecticwatermelon.com/media/mp3/BionicHillbillysolobed.mp3

Scott

2. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

All are killing takes, but first one sounds best to me tonewise et al.....
    word on first takes, you sound like you are reacting to the music more on that one, gives it a live feel..probably why I like the tone more, some sort of subliminal thing......nice playing & cool tone.....

3. fig

fig Member

Hi Scott -
    I liked takes 2 and 3. But I think I like take 3 the best of all.
    Is that how you play before your morning coffee, or after ? :D
    Excellent playing!

Greg

4. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Scott

Awsome playing ! absolutley stunning................. :eek:

I found it hard to hear the tone as clearly as on other cuts probably due to the fact the BT is quite heavy on guitars anyway. So picking out the differences between takes was hard for me. However, whether it was the playing or the tone it was #1 that floored me the most.

BTW John Czajkowski sounds pretty damn hot

5. johnfindlay

johnfindlay Member

hi-cant listen at the moment -BUT-curious-
    why the Audix I5 mic' -was it recommended-by a tech?

6. scottl

scottl Member

Fig on this forum suggested I try an Audix. I have a love/hate with my SM57. The Audix is WAY more articulate on top. However, both the SM and I5 lack the nice warm lows and mids of a condenser.

I am glad you popped in here. I really need toget my mic technique fixed! What can you recommend? I think you probably know the tones I am after.....

Scott

7. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

Thanks for digging into this section Scott! I really look foward to hearing you tear it up, but, alas, I'm at work with a computer monitored by Big Brother; unfortunately, I'm on the martial end of martial-pastural.

Will reply later...

John

OUT

8. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

Ok, Scott...two words: BAD ASS!

I love them all equally...in a kind of musical polygamy world where this is not frowned upon! I feel the tone is perfect for for each approach. Thank you so much for taking the time to play on this. I must now go practice that ancient art known as practicing...

:Spank

9. johnfindlay

johnfindlay Member

Hey Scott -i like the sound a tad more on clip#1-not sure why?

I use a condenser one one speaker-and a 57 on the other side-but really im
    no expert on mics at all-but i record with alot of instruments so i want that extra condenser track in case the guitar gets lost in mix down.. safe than sorry-etc.

10. Galo

Galo Supporting Member

Killer Scott!!! the 3rd one. Adios.

11. glasman

glasman Guest

Hey Greg, thats what happens when you slip benzedrine into your coffee.

Hey Scott, mighty fine picking. I cant make any judgements on tone as I am using my laptop right now.

Gary

12. val

val Member

Scott,
    You're a bad man! I favor the third take myself. The track definetely sounds like it'd be a lot fun to blow over. Burnin'...

13. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

3rd on here too Scott. Sounds like a riot to play over this, your tearin' it up. Hope I get some time to take a whack at it.

Peace,
    duffy

14. Normster

Normster Member

Well, it took me a while to get my jaw off the floor long enough to listen to the tone. All three clips sounded pretty sweet on the top end, almost indistinguishable. But the first clip stood out for me because it had a cello-like quality on the low notes. I didn't notice it on the other two clips and thought it was very cool.

15. scottl

scottl Member

Shucks.... It is a blast to play over this! You guys need to jump on it.

Norm, cello is good.... ;)

16. mikem

mikem Senior Member

Let me join the chorus in saying that that was very impressive. Out of the three takes, I like the third one for tone.

Mike

17. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

What the f***?!?:eek: Scott,dude,you RIP!!!I got some serious complexes from listening to those 3 clips!I loved them all,but it's big draw for me to choose from #1 and #3.#1's tone is more defined with a clear high-end definition,but the lines and playing on #3 is just insane,thus I'm going with #3.

Vlad

P.S.John,I thought my last name was wacked hard,but you beat me.BTW,awesome site and music that you guys do!Loved it!

18. scottl

scottl Member

Thanks for the love you guys!!! Good to be back in the saddle!

19. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

Scott,

The more I listen to these 3 takes, the more I learn. Wowie-zowie! I'm also making the rounds to all the Hellbillyites to link this lead sheet of the tune to the threads. It should take you to the Notes page on our band website. I should have posted it sooner, but I just spaced it out...

http://users.bandzoogle.com/hecticwatermelon/files/Bionic_Hillbilly_4pages.pdf

Thanks again!

20. jimijam

jimijam Member

Wow Scott! I am very impressed...
    I love your phrazing on those takes... Very nice.
    This is good stuff, I grabbed the backing but, I cannot riff it up like you jazzy guys do! All I can do are those typical pentatonic/dorian type runs all over the place, I need to learn how to do the jazzier ala Allan Holdsworth type of runs. Lots to learn for me.
    This little piece is a challenge for me and I can learn alot from this and hearing all of you guys soloing on here...
    Thank you!