The Amazing ZOOM G2!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jumblefingers, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

Just got one of these at Sam Ash for $95. AMAZING box! Great EFX and you can have Echo/Delay (2 seconds) -> Main Delay/Echo/Ping Pong (5 seconds!)-> Reverb/Multitap Delay (9 patterns/2 seconds), and all delays can be WET only!

Stereo out, tons of tweakable effects, 96/24, 32 bit. Some of the amp models may not be the best (high gain are great) but overall an incredible value. Also has a pedal or switch input for tap tempo or real time control.

Be interested what others will think - IMHO sets a new standard for price/performance and is VERY well designed and feels sturdy. Not too big either; about the size of Boss twin pedals.

2. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

Can you turn off the amp modeling and just use it for a tap tempo tremolo?

John

3. Jumblefingers

Yes. Here is the alg and each "block" can be turned on/off and stored with the preset. When you select a block to edit you can press the one of the footswitches to turn it off so it is easy to hear the effect of each block. Most blocks have between 3-4 adjutsable parameters sot here is a lot of variations to be had

- Compressor Block...
    - Noise Gate/Noise Reduction Block...
    - Vol/Filter FX Block (Tremolo w/ 4 waveforms, Auto Wah, Step Filter, Phaser, Boost, Slow Attack)...
    - 16 Amp/OD Models Block...
    - 3 Band EQ Block...
    - More EQ/Mic Placement Block...
    - Mod FX Block(Chorus/Flange/Dynamic Flange/ Pitch/ Harmony/Delay/Dynamic Dly/ Echo = 2 seconds w/ fdbk)...
    - Delay Block (Dly/Echo/Ping Pong = 5 seconds w/ fdbk)...
    - Reverb/MultiTap Block

4. ddeand

ddeand Silver Supporting Member

I should be getting it while I'm on vacation - I had it mailed to where I'll be. I always take a guitar and my Pandora PX3, but it will be nice to have the G2 to mess around with. I looked at a lot of different multi-effects pedals, but the Zoom G2, for the price, looked enticing enough to try.

Thanks for the review.

Dean

5. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

Will it handle a line level signal in so it can be used in an amps fx loop?

gary

6. Jumblefingers

Not sure but based on the various gain structures available I would think so.

7. ransacker

ransacker Member

Mr. Jumblefingers,

What is the slow attack feature? Kind of like the Boss slow gear?

Ransacker

8. jazzgitter

jazzgitter Member

There are two compressor settings one is fast attack which grabs the note quick and compresses it and the other is the "slow attack" not as noticeable. Hope that answers your question.

9. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I've had my G2 for about two weeks now. I originally bought it for home recording, and as a backup for my amp. I had heard that it sounded pretty good through a PA, and is much lighter to carry, than a backup amp. I have also found the unit to be very sensitive to guitar volume and pick dynamics. Turning guitar volume down, makes the amp models, much more beliveable. I play a G&L ASAT, and can play cords, or clean country sounds at half volume, and turn up for solo's, and get more crunch. This still works, with the G2.

My amp has a definite sweet spot. I would dial it in at a sound check, only to crank it up durring the show, and have my tone get nasty sounding. The G2 lets me raise and lower the volume quite a bit, without changing the tone. I brought it to rehearsal Wednesday, and played a short show, for a benifit Thursday. The crowd was older than we expected, when we did the sound check. I was able to lower the volume, without a noticeable change in tone. So far, I have been very happy with the G2.

Tim

10. jazzgitter

jazzgitter Member

Just finished recording a live worship album and took a chance using the G2 for the whole thing. Promised the producer I would switch to my regular tube rig with Seymour Duncan Conv 100 amp, Barber Burn Unit, Lexicon verb, Boss pedals, blah blah blah. The recording was a thumbs up using the Boogie sim rolled way back on the guitar volume and the 53 Tweed Deluxe sim. The auto wah came out real nice on some of the funk stuff too. Tones were just as good and sometimes better/ clearer than any of the full rig stuff I've used. So go for it guys. Make sure you tweak until you like what you hear though. I did and I'm happy with the recorded tones and so is the producer. Wish you could hear em'.

Steve

11. Electric I

Electric I Member

Have to agree with all the positive comments. Test drove a G2 & led me to get the larger G7. The Boogie Crunch sim is as good as it gets.

Been so impressed with the Zoom's new line, I now have the b2 & A2 on the way. Now I'll be able to make even better demos with my Boss 864.

Cheers

12. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I also found the Mesa MKIII sound, to be very useable. It works very well with effects like Wah, Chorus and Flange. The Tweed setting gives a nice raw crunch. I'm using the Vox AC-30, with Compression, for country sounds, while the Fender Twin gets some classic sounds using Tremolo and Tape Echo.

I owned a Roland Cube in the past, and quickly tired of it, because it lost much of the guitar dynamics. I normally run the G2 through one of my guitar amps, but I've found that it sounds even better using my powered mixer, with a 4 x 10 guitar cabinet.

Tim

13. RitalinCupcake

RitalinCupcake Member

Yes.

14. protoangel

protoangel Member

Thanks guys --- this looks very interesting:

Few questions if you don't mind:::

Does it have a phaser effect ?

Does it have a good vib effect ?

Does it have a good analog delay or tape echo sim ?

How are you finding the practicalities of selecting different FX patches with the 2 foot switches?

Are you restricted basically to scroll up/down through the patches?

Is there a bypass switch?

How are you finding the wall-wart PS?

Thanks guys

15. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

protoangel,

The phaser sounds good.

The tremolo sounded better to me than the vibrato.

I'm used to a good analog delay, so I wasn't impressed with the delay, but the tape echo and reverb sound good.

If you use a lot of effects, scrolling up and down can be limiting. A push button up/down switches banks. I may try to set a bank with the amp modeling off, and just effects.

I play for a recording artist, and play mostly original material, so I don't have to do a large varity of cover material. I can get by with 5 or 6 sounds. Or rotate the knob, on the upper left, to an effect, and turn it off or on, durring a song, with the foot switch.

The thing that impresses me most, is the ability to raise and lower volume, on the amp, retaining the sound, and still have guitar volume and dynamic control. I've owned the original Tweed and Black panel Fenders and Mesa's, and I couldn't make this kind of volume changes, without loosing that sweet spot. I don't know if the audience would notice, but band members and myself would, and I would become distracted.

I hope this helps.

Tim

16. protoangel

protoangel Member

Thanks Tim... That was very useful.

17. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Tim et al, can it be set up so that there's no modeling AND 1. rev is ON, 2. the two buttons are programmed for delay on/off and chorus on/off and 3. The pedal can be vol and toe down wah activation? If so, I want one now ;) (ie, it's set for eff only and chr and are footswitchable, +wah/vol)

I was going to order the G7 to accomplish this but I probably don't need all that the 7 can do.

jon

18. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

bluesdoc,

You can turn off all modeling, and just use it for effects. But one knob is used to select all effects. The foot switch will turn any effect off or on. What you can do is set your patches the same, and step it up or down, for different effects, (e.g. A3 Clean, A2 Chorus, A4 Wah). It does switch very fast.

The G2 doesn't have an expression pedal, but the G2.1u does. Along with a midi port and Cubase LE. We are useing Cubase to do home prerecording, before we go to a Nashville studio. You can only load Cubase, on one PC (as to auto registers), and we are using it with a Firebox. I didn't get the G2.1u, because I do use my Wah pedal a lot, and I wanted the real thing.

I didn't plan on useing the G2 live, only for recording, and as a backup for my amp. I didn't expect it to retain guitar dynamics, as well as it does. If I'm still useing it live, a couple months from now, I may get a G2.1u, so that I have even less to carry. Last week I used the Pedal Baby, Auto Wah, unstead of my Cry Baby. It didn't sound as good, but we were just doing a few songs for a benefit. Everything is a compromise.

Tim