The Anderson Bobcat Special is wonderful. That is all.

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by hitchcockblonde, Nov 7, 2018.

1. hitchcockblonde

hitchcockblonde Supporting Member

I'm not THAT big a gearhead. Until a few months ago, I had a dim awareness of Tom Anderson guitars as allegedly being really good, but don't think I could have told you more. I used to gig loads, but every year finds me, as Spinal Tap would say, having a more selective audience. It's what happens when you start turning grey but only have played original stuff your whole life, I guess.

Anyway, it was the old "In Guitar Center to get a cable, came out with a guitar" story. It was hanging way up in a corner and I'd seen it there, at a pretty high price, a couple months earlier. If I thought anything, it was "Oh, that's what a Tom Anderson guitar looks like. A low-key Les Paul Special. Whatevs."

Then it happened to be marked down and on a lower hanger. Okay, I'll pick it up. The "feel" was immediately so high-quality. A combination of the low-gloss neck, the fret ends, the balance, the simplicity. And the sound of the PH-1 and PH-3 pickups on mahogany was old. It sounded like it had been played for 50 years, in a good way. Mostly mellow, but a bit of bite from the bridge, and not very high-output. The way the fretboard edges were rolled, the traditional-looking tuners, the wrap bridge all added up to a very vintage-y feel and sound, despite the new-fangled stuff like the neck joint, compound radius, series-parallel switch, Feiten nut, and locking tuners.

So, it's been my go-to since. Through weird events, this GC had gotten the inventory of a T A dealer so it was spankin' new at a used price. I don't read a lot about this model but wanted to share that if you like that kind of vibe in a guitar, it's worth checking out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  2. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Anderson's are great, I love my short scale T, it is a beast!

hitchcockblonde likes this.
  3. stratoquack

stratoquack Supporting Member

Nice score! Which GC?

4. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

Lovely axe, congratulations!

5. hitchcockblonde

It was in Atlanta (the I-85 and N Druid Hills store), a few months ago. Gigged it the day after I got it, and it's been in my hands every day since :)

6. gibson5413

gibson5413 Member

Congratulations!!! That's a great looking Bobcat and I really like those pickups too. I have two of the Bulldog model which is essentially the Bobcat. I love them and will never sell them!

7. RupertB

RupertB Member

Congratulations!
    Had my eye on Bulldog/Bobcat models for a while but wound up finding a great deal on a short Mongrel, which has been my #1 ever since.

Enjoy!

8. voodoochili12

voodoochili12 Supporting Member

9. Rafterman

Rafterman Silver Supporting Member

Beautiful! Did they have anymore Andersons at that Guitar Center?

10. Schweezly

Schweezly Member

I eyed that guitar online as I saw the price dropping. Glad you’re enjoying it.

I have a Cobra and it’s the best playing guitar I’ve ever had. But I feel that’s TAG guitars in a nutshell. I also had a Raven at one point that I should have never sold.

11. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

That's the most un-Anderson Anderson I have seen. Very cool guitar! ("Regular" Andersons are cool too.)

12. sidekick

sidekick Supporting Member

Looks good in a cool sort of way and that the 'sum of the parts' work well for you all the better.

Congrats and enjoy. ... :)

13. Bobby Smith

Bobby Smith Member

Nice guitar. You can't go wrong with buying a TAGW product!

14. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

15. guitarpedaladdict

guitarpedaladdict Member

The first “boutique” guitar I ever played was an Anderson at Dave’s in Wisc. It definitely shifted what I was I was after in guitars from that point forward. Wonderful instruments! Congratulations!

16. MartinC

MartinC Member

Nice guitar!

I don't own a TA and have never had the chance to try one ... they are an extremely rare item in Australia. I have only ever seen a second hand lefty in my many, many guitar shop outings over many, many decades ... not a single righty in sight. I am lucky enough to own a custom order Suhr Classic, which was my "this is it, no expense spared" guitar ... so I can imagine how special your TA feels.

Anyway, I was delighted to read your description of the PH pickups. I ordered a PH1 and PH2 today to install in my PRS Mira (the original, pre S2 version) ... also an all mahogany guitar with Rosewood fretboard, in a not dissimilar colour too (transparent vintage cherry) ... to re-use someone else's comment on your Bobcat, it's a very un-PRS PRS. It's also a beautifully crafted instrument that plays effortlessly. But the older I get, the less overdrive I am using, and the stock humbuckers just don't thrill me when played clean or cleanish. I tend to prefer single coil tone anyway. I happened to be looking on the TA website and noticed the PHs ... a couple of email Q&As later and I placed my order. They should be with me in a week or two ... honestly can't wait to hear them, hopefully dripping with old school tone as you've described.

If they work out, I could be in trouble ... it's been a looooong time since I bought the Suhr ... might be time for a whole new custom order guitar.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  17. $tratcat

$tratcat Member

That's a beauty. Are the pickups hum-cancelling? Always wanted to get a P90 guitar, but can't put up with the hum of single coils.

18. MartinC

MartinC Member

The TA website says that they are quiet, when you are touching the strings of the guitar. Not sure how that works but I can let you know in a week or two after mine have arrived and been installed.

This was part of the reason I went with the TAs. I have another guitar with HB sized P90s (Phat Cats) that aren't hum cancelling (except when combined). They sound good but can be pretty noisy.

19. hitchcockblonde

They are, but I'm not geeky enough to explain exactly why. I think they're constructed more or less like a P90, but with two coils, one on top of the other. Then you can choose to either have those coils running in series on the pickup (louder and less zing) or in parallel ( makes it a bit Stat sounding). The combination of the bridge in series and neck in parallel is pretty interesting, though of course playing through a PA in a room full of drunks it doesn't matter. Cool for recording, though.