The Anti-Guitar GAS

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Onioner, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Onioner

Onioner Member

I've realized that I have a very strong reason to limit the number of guitars I have: strings. I can't keep five guitars with fresh strings, both economically, and just time-wise. Heck, I barely manage two. I'm not about to play old strings, so as a result, I mostly play two guitars, and when I feel the need for HBs, I string that one up. The couple of others I have languish save for the rare occasion I want to use them for something, then I string them up just for that use. I've fairly recently realized this, and it's got me thinking I should pair down the collection. It's not like I even have that many (five), I just can't keep what I have strung already. If I got any more, that'd just be another on the wall that needs strings before I can play it. It's really got me thinking on how to get the options I want with the fewest number of instruments. I buy these things to play them. If I'm not playing something, I move it along. I like all the guitars I have (well, can't bring myself to love the strat, but that's it's fault...), but if I'm not playing it, even if it's just that I don't keep it properly strung up, then it's off to CL...

I'm just sayin'. Kinda handy thing. Keeps me in check. If it weren't for the time and money spent on stringing instruments, I could see myself going out of control with telecaster builds. I guess until I get my own personal tech I'll just have to dump all my funds into amplifiers and speakers. Ah, poor me...

So, what do the folks with large collections do? I presume y'all have a few that are "in use" at a time, and they get the new strings, and the rest sit on a wall and wait for the day they get a fresh set and some action?

2. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

I actually prefer the sound and feel of old strings

3. Zounds Perspex

Zounds Perspex Supporting Member

There's something to this. I play drums as well as guitar, and this is quadruple-true for them. New heads on multiple sets of drums? forget that! That's a few extra pedals a year!

4. Nada

Nada Member

though my collection is probably tiny in comparison to most on TGP, i have enough guitars where some can sit for a while before getting played again. I buy strings in bulk and love changing strings (sick, huh?), so it's not an issue to keep strings fresh, and they're cheap enough in bulk to have it not be a barrier.

5. Onioner

Onioner Member

I used to love changing strings, when I only did it once a week. Now I kinda resent the time it takes, even if it is like ten minutes.

Well, actually, I still only change strings once a week, but it means playing on old strings for the unlucky guitar who's turn has not come, and I hate old strings. I swear, the cheapest, most significant, and easiest thing most folks can do to improve tone and feel is to put on a new set of strings...

6. zhivago

zhivago Member

I can't see how I can ever have more than two guitars at a time...one electric and one acoustic keep me content.

Whenever I have owned more than two guitars, the extra ones always got sold within months.

I'm kinda thankful I can get on with just the two, to be honest :)

7. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Member

Haha, I actually have all of my setups and tech work compd by a local shop (including pick up and drop off), but I've found that they just don't take as much care in doing it as I do, so I still do it myself.

Almost every time I play I notice that one of the guitars could use a restring, or a fingerboard conditioning, or even just a nice dusting and wipe down. But since I barely have any time to play, I just spend my time playing and put that stuff off. Maybe I can teach my housekeeper how to do it correctly. LOL

8. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

The more guitars you have, the less each one gets played. The less they get played, the longer the strings will last. So really, more guitars will SAVE you money.

I don't change my strings very often at all. My hands/fingers don't sweat much, so they last a long time.... some of my guitars haven't had new strings in over a year. I've lent a guitar to a friend occasionally, and it seems right after that the strings need to be changed.

I notice the difference of old strings on acoustics but not so much electrics.