The arc of the pinkie knuckle

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by alanfc, Aug 15, 2006.

1. alanfc

alanfc Member

Ha -THIS is whats been holding me back these last 24 years ! I've just decided. But really, I've just realized this...I've always used my pinkie naturally on every type of lead and scale. But for some reason now that I've moved up a gauge in strings I 've noticed I can't just 'make it happen' with bends and other stuff with my pinkie like I could with the lighter gauge.
    Looking more closely - its the knuckle....on my other 3 fingers I have this nice arc at the last joint, and my finger points straight down to the fretboard. The pinkie however,,, its coming down at an angle. And the string is under the fatter part of my finger instead of closer to the tip like my other fingers. I tried some s-l-o-w scales with my Pinkie in this straight-down angle and surprise- clean, perfect.
    So,
    whats some grueling cardio I can do on my pinkie that'll make this angle more second nature?. Beyond my usual messin around with slow scales and all. (I know its mostly just repetition)
    thanks

2. Dave B

Dave B Exit... Dual Stage Left Silver Supporting Member

3. KRosser

KRosser Member

I don't have anything to add to this, but I just wanted to say that thanks to your poetic thread subject, I now have a title for my first CD, should I ever get off my duff and make one...

"The Arc Of The Pinkie Knuckle"

Beautiful...

4. alanfc

alanfc Member

OK thanks this looks interesting.

Mr. Rosser- I'm Honored :rotflmao

5. alanfc

alanfc Member

btw-
    I've now been obesessing/tinkering with this a few hours,
    and I've come to the conclusion that a slightly higher position of the guitar strap is helping

6. alanfc

alanfc Member

OK I'm back into this

any more exercises/ideas?
    thanks

7. boobtoob

boobtoob Member

I try to strengthen my pinky by doing the beginning of "Purple Haze" with it for as long as I can. You know, the fast hammer on - pull off. It gets the pinky a good workout.

:BEER

8. brad347

brad347 Member

i've been exploring the finer details of hand position as it relates to fourth finger technique lately myself.

I find that the position of the thumb on the back of the neck matters. On the highest frets sometimes I pull it out completely and just let the pressure from my fingers do all the work. I also like to keep my palm more-or-less parallel to the line made by the bottom of the fingerboard (if that makes any sense). Like "flat" below the fingerboard. I have had a bad habit of angling my whole hand downward with the pinky-side of the palm farther away from the fretboard.

9. bbocaner

bbocaner Member

stretching the other joint in the finger (the one closest to the nail) will help. hold the knuckle joint still and bend the top joint as far as it will go and hold. repeat this around 10 times a few times a day.

10. alanfc

alanfc Member

11. brad347

brad347 Member

also, if you practice sitting down, position the 'curve' of the guitar over your left knee rather than your right. Let it angle downward a little almost like a classical player would. This helps your hand get into the natural position.

I also have experimented with putting a piece of painter's tape on the bottom half of the back of the neck, and my thumb must always be contacting it at least a little. That's a fun exercise.

12. brad347

brad347 Member

I think Schumann ended his career this way! :jo

13. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Everyone talks of squeezing, applying pressure to a note.

But it's the release, getting the finger off the note that slows many
    people down.

Any exercises for releasing the fingers from strings.

Ie: rubber bands?

I know you got comments on this.

Edumacate me. :puh

14. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

15. alanfc

alanfc Member

YES !!!!
    this is it

16. alanfc

alanfc Member