The art of Pedal Stacking?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Melodic Dreamer, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Yea, this is about pedal stacking and all of it's glory.

For the longest period of time I didn't like to use dirt boxes. Something always sound cheap or fake you could say. Playing with poweramp gain is sometimes hard for me to do because of volume issues, so the whole idea of pedals has came back to me.
    I am a guy who has been relying on the beautiful Poweramp distortion, but after talking with Ed at THD, I thought I would give stacking a go. At the moment I'm using an Ac Booster and a Timmy pedal for medium volume situations. I was curious if you guys could give tips on stacking two or more pedals to achieve a decent lead tone? I'm not ashamed to speak out and ask questions in an area that I'm not familuar with. I'm really wanting to learn some of the common things to look for, and maybe some options to try. I really like what I have, but I know it will take a lot of fiddleing with to really master this style of gain. My tone isn't where I want it to be while using these two pedals, but I'm hoping it can get there.

I'm hoping that the new Mi Audio Crunch Box with the AC and the Timmy will be able to create a great sonic evolution in tone for me.

Thanx for the help guys!:)

2. HHB

HHB Member

I've been pedal stacking for the last few years , very happy w/ the tone , I need to get off my butt and record our next original CD, I'll really let the stacked tone fly! I started using a Maxon OD808 in front of a RAT II, the RAT is now a Barber Direct Drive. The biggest thing you have to watch is the output balance,but it is all fairly intuitive when your setting em up

3. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

Darn right, Bill! Sign me up for a copy, too.

And for them of your that haven't heard Bil play, click on his links and do so. Then thank me.

Back to you, Chet!

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

My entire experience with stacking pedals is completely trial and error.

It depends on the music, the song, the pedals, the settings on the pedals, the amps, the guitars, etc, etc.

Generally what I have learned for me on this topic is that a little gain goes a LONG way when stacking.

Combos I dig are: Tim/Timmy with any of the Xotic pedals; the AC comes alive with a Timmy in front of it. Add other flavors to the mix, but for me I almost always reach for the Timmy with other pedals.

5. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I like boost last, overdrive and fuzz first, the Cornish way. Never got along with boost first. FWIW

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

It's very much trial an error. I've got about 20 OD/Gain boxes of various sorts and I've been looking for a combination that works with my AC30. I'd been using a chain for a Reverend or Fender BF amps that was: SHO-Dredgetone-Sparkledrive-Burn Unit. That sounded awful with the vox-way too noisy and kind of harsh. After trying out a lot of combinations I've settled on Dynaross-FDII-Timmy-Burn Unit, but Klon-Sansamp-Timmy was a close second. The DFTB setup sounds wierd into a blond Bandmaster (which loves Tubescreamers), but the Klon first improves it a lot. Basically, you gotta try all the combinations... It helps to have some good sounding pedals to work with.

7. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Thanx for the replies guys. Guess I'll just have to play around with it until I find what I like.

8. zadiqof

zadiqof Member

I dunno how it happened but I reversed my signal chain yesterday after playing with it a specific way for over a year, and Im actually satisfied.

9. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

I started using a TS in front of an early RAT but lately I've been using a Nobels overdrive into the Tech21 doubledrive (using just gain A). Cheers. L

10. westex

westex Disgruntled Optimist Silver Supporting Member

I find that I leave the Zendrive on most of the time; it stacks very well. Really dig that pedal; it adds a fatness to the signal that is hard to turn off.

Wes

11. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

I like Timmy, OCD and SHO. You can put the SHO after just about anything, and it sounds great. OCD is crunchier where Timmy is smoother. I've been running OCD into timmy, both with drive/gain a little past halfway, no volume boost, and it's really thick, but retained definition. Kick on SHO after for a boost and it's killer. And if you're into that sort of thing, even with all three of those pedals going, it cleans up really well. It may work other ways, but I tried this first and liked it a lot.

12. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

i love pushing the eternity with the COT 50:)

13. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

14. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

One of my favorite's for lead work is a Ibanez Tube King and Boss OD-3

15. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the COT-50 -> Eternity combo :dude

The COT-50 souonds great pushing the CJOD and Fulltone OCD as well.

16. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

cot50 > Eternity > twin60 = VERY NICE!

17. rewog

rewog Member

+1

I always use an SHO after an overdrive. It makes any overdrive sound better.

18. Telecaster

Telecaster Member

Red Snapper after a Blues Pro is very very nice.

19. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

I recently discovered that when the 1st pedal is used to push its follower, the volume of the "pusher" has to be quite high... (ex : Fuzz Factory pushing a mild OD pedal) :jo

20. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Zen ---> Mos4

Very beautiful.