the Avalon U5 or the Summit Audio 2ba-221. Which one sounds better on guitars?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by regotheamigo, Jun 21, 2006.

1. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

I think I have narrowed it down to these two, and maybe the RNP. I just want to find a micpre that records electric guitars amazing, and I don't care if its one channel or not. If you own either one of these please let me know what you think. Thanks

2. elambo

elambo Member

The U5 is not a preamp, it's a DI, meant to connect directly to instruments like bass, NOT microphones.

The Summit IS a mic preamp, but expensive. It will leave you with no money for a good mic, which you're gonna need. If that's not a problem, then yes you'll like the Summit, probably moreso than the RNP. But you probably won't like your sm57 on vocals and acoustic gtr. You'd be making a mistake with this setup unless you're still allowing cash to get a good mic at some point.

3. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

My pick would be a UA Solo 110, even though it's not on your list. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either one though.

4. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

If you want to "record electric guitars amazing" a SM-57 and a RNP are all you need. Then you have to sound amazing, and you're set.

5. OOG

OOG Member

Avalon calls the U5 a Pre/ DI
    not true?
    i'd like to have a unit that functions for live playing and recording with acoustic/clean electric guitar and have been checking out the U5.
    would it work?
    any drawbacks?

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

The U5 is a instrument preamp. Really, it's a DI with gain but I guess that qualifies as a preamp. Yes, it'll work as an acoustic guitar preamp.

7. elambo

elambo Member

Avalon's mic preamp is the M5. It's designed to amplify microphone level signals. The U5, while technically a preamp, is designed for high impedence inputs like instruments, NOT microphones. I don't even think it has an XLR input, just the Hi-z inputs on the front.

It will work as an acoustic guitar preamp as long as your guitar has a pickup. And yes you can plug an electric guitar directly into it and get a great clean sound. I love that thing for bass also.

8. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Correct.

I've seen people use them live for bass and guitar. I use it for bass in the studio.

The M5, however, has a Hi-z instrument input and can function as either a mic pre or DI. It's a little different in that it doesn't have the passive EQ presets that the U5 has. Having never used one I can't tell you if its acoustic character is any different. It probably is somewhat different, since it uses the same circuitry as the mic pre.

9. onemind

onemind Member

Avalon also makes the M5, which is a great Mic Pre, one channel, I have both, they're terrific studio tools.

10. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

I am about 99% sure that I will be going with a RNP, because I orded one today from Sam Ash and it suppose to come in in three weeks. Unless I am floored by something else I am gonna go with that. I also got there RNC (really nice compressor) as well to run with the RNP. I can't wait to hear how this sounds on my amps. Anyone else have these two units?

11. unguitar

unguitar Member

Spl Gainstation1, after having compared all the ones you are saying I have no doubt so this is what I bought.
    my best,
    luca
    www.unguitar.com

12. elambo

elambo Member

Isn't the Gainstation over $1000 per channel?

13. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

That's what I'm seeing.

14. bbocaner

bbocaner Member

millennia media TD-1 is a tube or solid state DI with variable input impedance, speaker soak, 2-band parametric EQ, re-amping, AND it has a built in millennia HV-3C mic preamp, which is really excellent sounding. It's a little more expensive than some of the other devices mentioned, though.

15. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

a little?
    nice box. if i was spending that much for a pre for recording guitar, the TD-2 would not be my first choice.

16. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Why do you say that?

17. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i think the TD-2 is a superb bit of kit.
    if i was doing chamber music, jazz or bluegrass, it would be a no-brainer. it's a super clean, neutral and dynamic pre.
    it's the absolute antithesis of what works for me when micing electric gee-tar.
    for that much $$$ or less and specifically to mic an amp i'd go w/ the new chandler germanium, great river ME-1NV, manley mono or john hardy just off the top of my head. for me, because of the nature of close micing an amp the LAST thing i want is neutral. i want a pre w/ some major vibe happening. micing an amp is about smoke and mirrors and something like the TD-2 is more about 'matter of fact'.
    i'd hazard a guess (i know, complete conjecture on my part) that the FMR RNP would be a better choice on a close miced amp than the TD-2.
    but hey, if using a super clean mic pre works for U...

18. elambo

elambo Member

Oh good God, the Germanium is crazy for elec. gtr. I wish I could go back and reamp all of my past tracks with this box. It's just tailored for gtr. Even after owning one for over a month I'm still unable to describe what it does that no other pre can do, but I like it. I love it. Tried it for bass and although it's nice it doesn't trump the sound of an Ampeg. Haven't taken the time to try it on anything else yet.

19. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Makes sense to me.

I had the dual-topology 2-channel pre for a 3-day session with piano and drums once, and I loved the sound of it. If the TD-2 is similar in character then I would agree.

20. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

ha-ha, so U've already tasted it's goodness...
    i have a chandler TG-2, as well, but that germanium is nigh onto perfect for rock guitar. the only other pres i'd put above it are SOOOO much more $$$. w/ the GT ViPre U can really dial in the sound by messing w/ the slew control. the VoxBox can also be very cool for dialing in very nice guitar tones.
    but that frickin' germanium is crazy. plug a royer R122 into it and place the mic six inches from the front of the grille clothe directly in the centre of the speaker and tweak the tone controls on the amp a little bit (if U have to).
    yummy.
    what kind of mic are U using?

as a post script...
    i actually don't own the TD-2, but have used it a number of times.
    i DO have a millennia HV-3D, tho'.