The Bag (Scumbag that is !!!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jim Wagner Pickups, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Jim Wagner Pickups

Jim Wagner Pickups Member

This is a kinda odd section for me to post in, as I usually just post about pickups and guitar electronics.
    This last weekend, I was at the Greensboro Les Paul Jam and Tone Conference, and had a chance to use the "Scumbag Major Crunch" model. I have never played anything comparable to it ever, and I have been totally satisfied with my modded JCM800. Anyhow, a bunch of guys were jamming on Whipping Post, so I wandered in and plugged into the "Bag". Very cool. Had a great tone while chording. I was using my '69 SG Special with Goodwoods. Wished I had an amp sound like that before. Hard to describe, it was just THERE!. Then I got a chance to play some licks, so I stepped on the "Nuke" switch. HOLY CRAPPIOLA!
    All of a sudden, I just heard ME! I thought my volume was just way too loud, or something. So I went over to the amp and turned it down. Not much difference. What it was, was that the tone just saturated all else, and just stuck out in front of everything else and hung there. I don't know how many of you ever used a recording effect called an Aural Exciter (no, it's not an electric vibrating rubber tongue), but it can be adjusted so that it changes the phase of say a voice, or lead guitar, so that instead of being louder than all other instruments, it kinda turns sideways a little and comes through the empty slots.
    That's what this was like to me. Totally blows me away, days after trying it.
    Here are the specs on it. Goldamn Seavall. Now I have to sell the rest of my amps. I'm only gonna need THAT one.....:mad:
    Dual channel single ended Class A amplifier with "Nuke" overdrive mode.

Quad 6V6 power section, 19 watts RMS clean (volume of 2), 25 watts at 5, volume goes to 11. Nuke switch adds a hefty 35% solo boost, and gain for lead tones.

Volume & tone controls on channel 2
    Volume, bass, middle, treble on channel 1
    Nuke switch is active only on channel 1

Dual 12AX7 Sovtek LPS preamp tubes, JJ 6V6 power tubes, GZ34/5AR4 rectifier tube

4/8/16 ohm dual speaker output selector with 2 jacks, wired in parallel

Three inputs, one for each channel, one for the on/off "Nuke" switch

The amp goes from clean to mean with the twist of your guitar volume knob for classic rock & hard rock tones. Nuke switch enhances and boosts the aforementioned tone significantly.

Combos, heads, pictures and sound clips will be available soon.

www.scumbagamps.com
    310-833-6632

WOW!!! :dude :dude

2. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

So,Satan got to ya,did he?:D

3. Jim Wagner Pickups

Yeah. Bastid.

4. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

"Greensboro Les Paul Jam and Tone Conference"

man, that paints a nice picture...

/rick

5. Jim Wagner Pickups

Man, it was EXCELLENT! If you ever go to one, life will not be the same. You will not be able to resist going out there once a year at least. Jimmy usually does it twice, but the Oct. one is bigger, I believe. Perfect weather, etc.Jimmy and his Lady Dru were as good as a host and hotess can possibly get. They put up a bunch of people in their 2 houses, cooked, had the jam at Jimmy's T-shirt factory, ReviWear. It was no doubt the FINEST collection of LPs on the planet. Bursts, Flametops, just un-believable. Amp builders, luthiers, old guys, kids, food, drinks, etc.
    Has a stage setup withh all kinds of amps, bass players, drummers and so on. Ya just walk up, plug in, and try stuff out under actual playing conditions with great players. How much better can it get?
    When I got there, Anthony Steele had already commandeered the kitched from Dru, and was making some Italian sauce. Best I ever had in my life. Yeah, Chef-Boy-R-Steele.....:dude
    [​IMG]

6. Ricker

Ricker Member

Howzat Jim

Hows it going with 'Ripyerheadoff'?..........:D he he he
    It's great to find that 'one' amp.

Take it easy
    Ricker

7. AtomEve

AtomEve Member

!

I'm on the waiting list Jim.......... but I can't wait!!!!:D

Bryan

8. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I'm the goober in the pic with a strat.:eek: :D

9. Jim Wagner Pickups

Damn you Ricker!:p
    That is the one clip I can never get out of my head! To this day, I get about 1/2 the way through it, and hang up my axe for a week or so out of shear frustration! hahahaaaaa (That's it, just keep rubbing it in......lol)
    But, I still try.....:D Good to hear from you again, I was not aware you were even a member here Bro!:dude

10. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Wagner...thanks for the kind words...

AtomEve,
    We're going to incorporate that idea of the separate volume control on the "nuke" mode and make it a separate channel on the head, since there's not enough room on the combo chassis. So now you'll be able to setup the other two channels for the clean or dirt you want, then switch to the nuke channel for solos.

We'll probably get the head chassis dialed in next week and send the autocad file off to have the chassis laser cut. I'll keep you informed as it progresses.

11. Scumback Speakers

I wondered what happened to you? Thought you were coming down, too. Yeah, Greg did like the M75's a bit better than his previous choice.

Wait till you see the Sunday morning video from this year... :D

You should contact Jimmy Murray and see how he's doing with the edits and all the video compression stuff... there was a lot of footage he shot, but that bit on Sunday morning is really funny... not to mention the other footage he got of people playing and having a good time. I guess there's a ton of just audio as well that needs to be gone through. Freaking microphones everywhere.

Some pics are here: http://scumbagamps.com/greensboro

12. Jim Wagner Pickups

Mr. Barker ! How the hell are ya? (Californian for 'you.")
    Missed you there this year Bro. I was all set to check out your place this time. We stayed until around noon on Mon. Oh well, there will always be a next time. You better be there, we know where you live.........:D :p

13. mmorse

mmorse Member

Oh great Jim! Just when I was all set to get my first boutique head, you have to add yet another to the list to consider. Now I'm REALLY disappointed I didn't get to hear it that day I picked up my 75s from you.

Looks like a good time was had by all at the fest. And here I thought I was the only old fart still hammering away on the old LP. :dude

mark

14. Scumback Speakers

Mark, the Capt Crunch combo should be back next week around Thursday after it gets shipped back from Greensboro...that is, if Jimmy Murray doesn't try it, and send me a check instead.

Next time you're up for it, drive on up to my place in RPV and you can try it here. That'll save you a few bucks on gas to MusicWorks... just let me know, and I'll get it arranged for you.

Hey, Dumble doesn't call me "Dr. Pure Evil Incarnate" for nothing... :D

15. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

LMAO! Get confused? :)

16. mmorse

mmorse Member

I just might take you up on that. :dude

17. Scumback Speakers

It should be here around Thursday of next week... shoot me a call or email to confirm...

18. AtomEve

AtomEve Member

Sounds great Jim. I'll consider it my idea even if someone thought of it before me......:D

I'm at the top of the list....right????????;) This amp needs to be on the Atom Eve Eclipse CD#3 currently being recorded!!!!!!!!

Oh and that's Mr. AtomEve to you Jim........:cool: Just funnin ya bro!

Bryan:dude

19. Scumback Speakers

Currently you're at the top of the list...pending the final chassis layout, and whoever leaves me a deposit first... but you knew that already... MISTER ATOMEVE ;)

20. AtomEve

AtomEve Member

Well jeez...ask me for a deposit........I need this amp NOW!

It's yours baby!!!!!!!!!!
    The deposit that is.....
    But no don't tell my wife!