The Barber Gain Changer Thread

Jim Marciano

Supporting Member
In nearly every overdrive thread this pedal keeps popping up as suggestions for everything ( half of them are me), so let's talk about it

What version do you have,
Ltd
Sr
unlimited
Compact
Gcx

What settings do you like? What do you run it into?

I recently grabbed a small fry and spent a while tweaking all the trims till it sounded perfect... Then I realized I set it as close as possible to my gain changer, it's just the pedal for me

Last edited:

billbfoot

I recently acquired a GCX from the Emporium back in June. I still haven’t had a chance to REALLY and fully explore it, but it’s clearly a super versatile overdrive. Love the mid control, especially since my Suhr Bella combo amp doesn’t have a mid control (it’s somewhat integrated into the bass control, and I LOVE my Bella). But so far, I’ve kept the GCX dialed in for low to mid gain drive, and it sounds absolutely great.

Last edited:

Jim Marciano

Supporting Member
I recently acquired a GCX from the Emporium back in June. I still haven’t had a chance to REALLY and fully explore it, but it’s clearly a super versatile overdrive. Love the mid control, especially since my Suhr Bella Combo amp doesn’t have a mid control (it’s somewhat integrated into the bass control, and I LOVE my Bella). But so far, I’ve kept the GCX dialed in for low to mid gain drive, and it sounds absolutely great.
That's the version I need, I missed the initial run and when they pop up I'm broke

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Silver Supporting Member
Bought the GCX when it was released. While I've always held Barber in high regards, I was still pleasantly surprised by the pedal's versatility.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Supporting Member
Long time GC Fan boy here. I have the black finish version. I used to use the UnLtD setting with flat+fat, but I like the more open sounding low gain toggle position with the gain knob around 2 o’clock. This pedal is locked on my smaller jam/back up board.

radioboyeric

Just got mine in the mail...looking forward to this one!
Using with Greer Lightspeed, J Rockett Blue Note, and OCD 1.7.
Not sure of my signal chain yet but this is going to be fun. Suggestions?

hangten

Silver Supporting Member
GCX here, very happy with it.
Great pedal, very versatile - you can get a LOT of distortion out of it if you want. I use it mostly for lower gain - cleans up great with volume knob.
You have a few tonal options via mini switches, it's small, well-built and really reasonably priced. What's not to love?

I mostly play Strats into a vibrolux or Blackface bandmaster.

I got one of the TGP builds in Black. It's a wonderful tool with just the slightest bit of Tweed Fender to it. Reminds me of a '55 Tweed Super I got from John Sprung(back in the day), with a little sonic wool. David designs and builds superior pedals and, he is one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet. I have been using Barber gear since the start of the 21st century.

Vanilla Latte

Have the SR, and it's been the one constant on my board (and the only OD on my board). I set it with the low mids bumped slightly, and with just a touch of grit to both tighten up the bottom end on my PRS Archon dirty channel, and to use on my Archon clean channel for a little hair.

Best OD pedal I've ever owned.......by a long shot.

Pazz

I have the SR in the “TGP” crinkle black finish. (A DD too!)

I set it low to add a touch of gain but a lot of thickness to a clean signal, into a Gries 5 (blackface) amp. Strictly home playing.

it is an extremely flexible drive that sounds great throughout the whole range. (But you guys know that already!)

I guess, as an SR, my GC is mellower than others. That’s complete fine with me. I love it.

Pazz

I think if people asked GC owners, “if you could only take ONE pedal and it had to cover everything you needed to do, what would you take?” The vast majority of us would not hesitate to say “Gain Changer”. I knew it was going to be great for the low gain application I bought it for (and how I use it) but I had no idea that there was a “gain side” that sounded so good too!

PatrickE_FenderADV

Supporting Member
@Pazz ... I agree, the GC is that one pedal that covers so much ground. If I had to pick a “desert island pedal” it would be the GC or my Amp 11 BB. The Amp 11 for playing live (boost) and the GC for recording/jamming. I believe I have helped DB sell a few of these over the years as a strong advocate of its sound, tonality and flexibility.

FWIW - in all my years here at TGP buying, trying and flipping OD/dirt pedals... these two are the only gain pedals to ever sit on my board(s) for more than three years straight. :aok

Last edited:

jjhookemup

I recently bought an SR and have been VERY impressed. Love how the highs never get ice picky and when you roll the tone back, it’s more mid sounding.
I obviously can’t really comment on settings as I’m really diggin the multiple tones out of this jewel.

mdrake34

I'm on my third one, and it's a keeper. I normally set my bassbreaker 15 to crunch, and I had settled in on the mid-eq LTD, low gain, volume around 1:30, tone around 1:00, and drive around 1:00 to push the BB into glorious sustain. I always loved @roknfnrol 's demos favoring the LTD mode using lower gain. I recently set my BB 15 for a clean base tone, and switched to the LTD setting, flat EQ, and it's sounding good for that.

Such a versatile, great sounding pedal. Dave should charge more for them, it would be worth it IMO.

Trending Topics