The Barber Gain Changer Thread

Voodoo Soul Blues

Silver Supporting Member
I have an olive sr version.
It’s a fantastic Strat pedal.....I like it so much I bought a Direct Drive and I love that pedal as well especially with humbuckers.
The Gain Changer into a Marshall is awesome for Hendrix blues tones with a Strat....which is what I play primarily.
The GC and the DD are my favorite overdrive pedals by far.
Great crunch tones and they don’t get mushy at all.

vtbrsi

I have the Gain Changer SR and my favourite setting is left toggle left and right toggle right (lower gain). It sounds great with the gain and tone at any level. Great natural sounding overdrive at home volume (telecaster and fender amp). Also great customer service when I was visiting the US and wanted to arrange delivery where I was staying.

Last edited:

Mentat

I finally got one today. A difficult road aquiring one. I bought one new online,and they had to refund me because it was sold earlier that day. Then I got one off ebay in mint condition after a lot of looking.
The olive grey sr. Mailman delivered it to the wrong address. After going to the post office and knocking on strangers doors this morning, it's finally here. You better believe I will never sell it after all the trouble it took to get it.
Such a cool pedal. I hope it plays nice with my zendrive II.

Last edited:
So, i've never played one but i've read nothing but glowing reviews here on TGP.
i'm considering getting one of these for my fawn hand-wired AC15.
How are these with Vox's?
I would be using it as a foundation drive to stack with other dirt pedals.

i'm trying to decide between this or the MXR Timmy.

am83

Supporting Member
First I has the cream one, then the surf green, then the GCX, and now the SR in Raspberry red. It’s an amazing pedal, that works great on any amp (superb on a vox with a blue alnico). It’s not in my board right now, but the gain changer it’s definitely a keeper

Last edited:

teleman1

Supporting Member
Anyone compare the gain changer to a Timmy? A Snouse black box, a POT? JHS soul food? A Jetter Gold?

vtbrsi

Anyone compare the gain changer to a Timmy? A Snouse black box, a POT? JHS soul food? A Jetter Gold?
I also have a Timmy (v2) - both are great and it is likely to depend on the setup. But I find the gain control on the Gain Changer SR more gradual so I can get a wider range of lower gain sounds when playing into a clean amp. The GC is very clear and the overdrive sound seems to mix/integrate with the clean sound really well too (if that makes sense). The Timmy is a bit grittier.

NB. the above refers mainly to home volume. They both sound killer at band volume with everything turned up - which I'm sure is the intended application :)

Last edited:

Jim Marciano

Supporting Member
Those are all a bit different, I'm not really familiar with the jetter I think it's Marshally as well as the black box and pot, the Timmy is a transparent overdrive/ boost, and the soul food is a klon, I think David barber explained the gain changer as a fenderish overdrive... So it would be slightly different than those

If I had to describe the gain changer I would say thick lower mids and smooth overdrive with very useable controls, I think it's gets alot of respect because it just always works, high or low gain, stacking, just need a little extra, whatever the occasion it fits (maybe not metal)

Kevsonic

Supporting Member
I am knocked off my feet by that entire lineage of Barberness, but especially the two chunky siblings the 1/2 Gainer and the UnLtd.

But the standard and SR Gain Changers are beauties. FWIW I think that the standard is not to be considered as somehow "lesser", but rather simply "different", than the SR.

JLo618

Supporting Member
I have and LTD SR on my board. I’ve compared it against two different Gain Changer SRs and prefer it based on what I can do with the trim pots.
I recently picked up a 1/2 gainer and was hoping it might replace my LTD SR since it has two channels but I just can’t get the same open clarity that get from my LTD SR. I only plan to keep one of them and I’m leaning toward my LTD SR.
Anybody use a 1/2 gainer around here?

Kevsonic

Supporting Member
I have and LTD SR on my board. I’ve compared it against two different Gain Changer SRs and prefer it based on what I can do with the trim pots.
I recently picked up a 1/2 gainer and was hoping it might replace my LTD SR since it has two channels but I just can’t get the same open clarity that get from my LTD SR. I only plan to keep one of them and I’m leaning toward my LTD SR.
Sorry, I wish I could help, but I've never used an LTD SR. I had an LTD V1 a whole ago and I love the 1/2 Gainer. I don't know which LTD variant it uses but it's got all the clarity I need. Maybe there's a recommended setting that Dave can hip you to that nails the SR sound on the 1/2.

Cousin

I have the 1/2 Gainer and like it, but I've never had an LTD SR to compare it to. It does seem to agree with my amp a bit better than the Gain Changer, I have a Roland Blues Cube and the Gain Changer sounded a bit stiff at low gain through it.

GeeDub

I have a standard Gain Changer, purchased in 2013, on my small pedalboard going into a Torpedo CAB M+. It has a permanent spot on that board. Excellent pedal.

David B

Silver Supporting Member
Mid control on the 1/2 Gainer needs to be all the way down, if the trims are the same color on your two pedals then match the settings. You may just prefer your particular LTD SR, the pots in pedals are 20% tolerance, and that can throw a random quality into the mix when trying to match a sound. But I bet you can get super close with the 1/2 G.

JLo618

Supporting Member
Mid control on the 1/2 Gainer needs to be all the way down, if the trims are the same color on your two pedals then match the settings. You may just prefer your particular LTD SR, the pots in pedals are 20% tolerance, and that can throw a random quality into the mix when trying to match a sound. But I bet you can get super close with the 1/2 G.
Thanks Dave! My 1/2 Gainer also has a Note Shape Trim. Any thoughts on where to set that?

Trending Topics