The Barber Gain Changer Thread

theartofutility

Silver Supporting Member
I think there was a Barber Gain Changer thread as recently as May but I'm always happy to espouse my feelings on the Gain Changer!

I have the SR and it is the one OD pedal that has found a permanent home on two pedal boards. During my lockdown gear acquisition, every time I got a new OD pedal and A/B-ed it with the GC, I could get the same sounds from the GC and so back to the shop went the other OD pedal.

In fact, I recently returned a very respectable RAT-based boutique pedal once I realised the GC could get the same sounds in the Unlimited mode (I expect as they are both op-amp based overdrive pedals). Instead, I acquired a second GC SR! Now I have two - one in cream and the other in raspberry, to live on my (very modest) pedal boards for the Orange TT and PRRI, respectively. On one board I am using the GC SR as a low gain OD while on the other, I use it in the high gain mode.

Now, I am patiently awaiting the new Direct Drive v.4 ...

sstweed

Silver Supporting Member
I always jump in on barber threads, but honestly I’ve now owned so many barbers it’s a little embarrassing. If we keep it strictly to the LTD circuits, I currently own the v1, v2, SR, Silver, B-Custom Cool, GCX, Gain Changer v1 and Gain Changer SR. I had a 1/2 gainer and an UnLtd but I don’t need a dual channel arrangement so I sold them. I’d go crazy trying to pick a favorite but there isn’t a bad one. I guess I really like the mids on the v2?

Last edited:
First bought a Gain Changer for a folk(-ish) gig when I wanted a really low gain overdrive. It was the OG Cream with black plastic knobs. It delivered in spades and did a whole lot more. It's been on my main board for 4+ years at this point. I keep it switched to low gain, middle EQ position most of the time.

For a while I had two on my main board, with the second set to higher gain. Eventually I replaced it with a Barber BUSS; both were great but I suppose I narrowly prefer the contrast between the two different pedals.

Also love stacking the Gain Changer into the Pigtronix Fat Drive, with the Gain Changer doing a TS type thing in a not-as-drastic kind of way - some bass cut, focuses & tightens up the sound.

Killshakes

I have a black v.1 (I replaced the plastic knobs with aluminum ones like the SR has, and they look great), and I like it. I still love my Foxrox ZIM, but the GC is a whole lot smaller.

mdrake34

I need to try an SR at some point, but I just love my regular one so much. It seems most use theirs in the LTD SR mode, I use mine in the LTD mode for the slight mid hump to push my dirty Bassbreaker 15 over the edge. It’s a better eq then your typical TS. I had a V2 timmy, and just got a V3 Timmy, for the flat drive sounds. But the GC certainly does those well also.

ryguy335

Supporting Member
In nearly every overdrive thread this pedal keeps popping up as suggestions for everything ( half of them are me), so let's talk about it

What version do you have,
Ltd
Sr
unlimited
Compact
Gcx

What settings do you like? What do you run it into?

I recently grabbed a small fry and spent a while tweaking all the trims till it sounded perfect... Then I realized I set it as close as possible to my gain changer, it's just the pedal for me

I have a Gain Changer SR, I like setting the eq to flat for use with my LP, flat and fat with my tele, and boosted mids with my strat

PhuzzphayzZ

All I know is I'd like some more Treble than what OCD2.1 is giving me with its Mids knob. Someone... talk to me...GCSR seems to have more control than any of the UsualCompares...

I also have OxbloodGe, which takes care of MidHump-style

It's just that OCD Mids knob just can't give me 'that zing'...

Jim Marciano

Supporting Member
All I know is I'd like some more Treble than what OCD2.1 is giving me with its Mids knob. Someone... talk to me...GCSR seems to have more control than any of the UsualCompares...

I also have OxbloodGe, which takes care of MidHump-style

It's just that OCD Mids knob just can't give me 'that zing'...
i believe the sr is more of a flat/ transparent eq, while the regular gain changer has more mids, i don't know if its exactly what your looking for but the regular compact gain changer kicked the ocd and a few more expensive pedals off my board

David B

Silver Supporting Member
i believe the sr is more of a flat/ transparent eq, while the regular gain changer has more mids, i don't know if its exactly what your looking for but the regular compact gain changer kicked the ocd and a few more expensive pedals off my board
The two versions of the GC are actually quite close, not much more apart than a single DB here and there, the thing that was addressed on the SR version was making sure the right toggle setting (flattish EQ) was exactly like the circuit of an LTD SR. The SR is fractionally more open sounding. i still like both, and could use either for the same gigging situation, it really comes down to what your guitar and amp like best, like any OD.

Last edited:

Jim Marciano

Supporting Member
barber gain changer vs Sr (special recipe) I see these compared alot and they are just a bit different, the sr either doesn't not have as much mid-range as the regular gc or it's a different frequency, so it sounds a tiny bit thinner but it also has a bite of prescence that great and presence adds clarity which gets described as transparent alot IMO while the regular gc is thick and has a little less top end, I often see the sr described as better but I think it's rig dependent, if you play a Marshall and have plenty of mids maybe the sr is for you but if your playing a blackface fender extra mids are going to sound really good

I'm playing a strat into a fender and there is a slight high pitched whistle at one point, that is not the pedals it's my cheap power supply, anyway check out these or any other barber pedals, they are all excellent

Trending Topics