Vendor The BearFoot FX / DonnerboX Thread of Destiny

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Don Rusk, Jan 18, 2019.

1. ghostrider

ghostrider Member

[​IMG]
    I love my Honey Bair!

I had an HBOD for several years and absolutely loved it, but when I got a new amp, it sounded way too dark and I sold it. In the meantime, I went through a lot of quality ODs but really missed the HBOD. When i discovered the Bair last year, I took a gamble on it and it is everything I missed about my bee but now I can put high end back in so it fits with my amps and, for now, the HX Stomp models.

My top 3 favorite drives of all time...
    Honey Bair
    King of Tone
    Timmy

Don Rusk likes this.
  2. Don Rusk

Don Rusk BearFoot FX Owner

LOl,,, well the Gnarwahl is the oddball exception .... ok so I got the first set of boxes in and built out some of them and sent them out - then realized the lettering was a little odd, so I sent them back for do over ..... well they made a full 25 of the do overs, so Im not exactly sure how many Gnarwahls there are - but the first batch has Balls and Horn controls and the do overs have Bass and Treble controls .... I also realized in doing this sale that I hadnt put the doovers up for sale so I just did today ... and there are actually 50 Honey Bees in two different paint jobs 25 each ... but the rest are Limited to 25 ... which is why there arent separate videos and advertizing for them... clear as mud ?

coltonius likes this.
  3. Mark Hamburg

Mark Hamburg Member

Is the Arctic White Fuzz going to make a return or should I be snapping up a spare on the used market? Every time I come back to it, I marvel at how well it works with a number of my drive pedals — not just my collection of Bearfoot pedals.

Don Rusk, bastian and coltonius like this.
  4. Don Rusk

I use the Gnarwahl for what I used the Arctic for - it has a similar volume knob response - and it does more with the knobs dimed .... so you can stomp between an AWF sound and a wilder Gnarwahl sound or different strengths of the lower settings or ??? ... and they are on sale on the Reverb store ;)

5. Mark Hamburg

Mark Hamburg Member

I’ve got a Gnarwahl. My past usage with it suggested that it was more aggressive than the AWF. I’ll try it again.

6. Mark Hamburg

Mark Hamburg Member

Just tried the Gnarwahl again. With the fuzz all the way down, I can get it more or less clean if I roll the volume back. On the other hand, my AWF is almost clean with the fuzz knob at 11:00. I have to crank the guitar volume almost all the way up or hit the strings hard to get any fuzz. (The AWF turns out to make a great “clean” boost.) I can hear the fuzz similarity between the Gnarwahl and the AWF when they start fuzzing, but the AWF seems to have a lot more range where one pushes into fuzz rather than starting at fuzz.

So, is one of my pedals not behaving as it should be? I appreciate both behaviors — particularly the AWF’s — but they seem like they cover different ranges. (On a related note, I wish the “clean” range on the Uber Bee I just acquired was larger but that’s a different matter.)

——

Pedal chain for testing: G & L Doheny > Spaceman Saturn V > AWF / Gnarwahl > Honeybee > Spaceman Aphelion > Ethos Clean > MXR Carbon Copy > Neunaber Immerse > board

Saturn V > AWF (fuzz set below 11) > Ethos Clean is a gorgeous clean sound

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  7. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

There’s an AWF in the Emporium right now. It’s not mine but the price seems right (I think)!

8. Mark Hamburg

Mark Hamburg Member

One other note: I’m running the AWF and the Gnarwahl at 18v.

9. Mark Hamburg

Mark Hamburg Member

I picked up a Razzberry last spring and it didn’t really click with me. I had put it in the standard fuzz position early in the chain and it just tended tended to be ugly sounding. I just tried moving it toward the end of the chain and with the Honeybee or the Sea Blue in front of it, I discovered that it sings.

(I also now appreciate the Honeybee into the AWF though I think I still prefer keeping the AWF earlier to get full responsiveness to volume control and picking dynamics.)

10. Don Rusk

Try AWF > Honey Bee > Razzberry Fuzz .... lots of variation there.

11. zhivago

zhivago Member

I picked up this little guy last week...very early serial number and it sounds great! :)

[​IMG]

RYAN1987M likes this.
  12. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

I got a sparkling yellow od v1 and I really dig it, does anyone know the voltage on it? Is it 5-15v??

Don Rusk likes this.
  13. Don Rusk

Yes all the BearFoot drives are 5-15v except the Emerald Greens which are 8-18v

Jim Marciano likes this.
  14. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

Emerald green might be next on my list

15. Don Rusk

One of my favorites still....
    oh Model H is 8-12v

zhivago, Jim Marciano and coltonius like this.