• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The Beatles are overrated

freddyfeebleman

Gold Supporting Member
Drivel, drivel and more drivel! I actually want to thank you Radar for helping realize I should be practicing instead of wasting my time here.

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
The general publics taste for music is generally not suited for John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, Jaco Pastorius, Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra, etc..
That said the Beatles especially Sgt Peppers was pretty High Brow Pop Music that changed the landscape. A lot of its great music was actually George Martins contributions. But none the less a really high water mark in Pop History that has still not been matched in my opinion

harmonicator

" So much has been said and written about the Beatles -- and their story is so mythic in its sweep -- that it's difficult to summarize their career without restating clichés that have already been digested by tens of millions of rock fans. To start with the obvious, they were the greatest and most influential act of the rock era, and they introduced more innovations into popular music than any other group of their time. Moreover, they were among the few artists of any discipline that were simultaneously the best at what they did and the most popular at what they did. Relentlessly imaginative and experimental, the Beatles grabbed hold of the international mass consciousness in 1964 and never let go for the next six years, always staying ahead of the pack in terms of creativity and never losing the ability to communicate their increasingly sophisticated ideas to a mass audience. Their supremacy as rock icons remains unchallenged to this day, decades after their breakup in 1970. "

-all music guide

Mike Alan

1638293769643.gif

BlueRiff

Not only did they get out of bed each morning, but they put in effort.
Tell me about it. The schedule they had from ‘64-‘66 is beyond mind boggling. As Martin said. - the pressure would have broken lesser men. Also - factor in that Harrison talked at 0.3X the speed of most people makes it a wonder anything got done!!!

BroomH

I agree the attention they generate is not proportional to their contribution. And I think their contribution and influence is amazing, but it is just too much.

They had their own mania named after them, had to stop touring due to screaming fans being louder than the band and inspired a hippie death cult so i feel like they are properly rated. Music is subject to taste so the Beatles being the biggest band in the world doesn't mean you have to like them. I only like a few of their songs but i can't deny that they changed music and pop culture in a lot of ways.

DGDGBD

Silver Supporting Member
OP challenges that the Beatles weren't the most influential pop/rock artist by arguing that they weren't the most talented musicians (duh), that commercial success (IOW people buying and enjoying the music) shouldn't factor, and there might be some unknown songwriter with no commercial success that is better (hahaha). Not following that logic.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom