The Beatles Compression Pedal

RockyRacoon

I've been wanting to get a similar tone to the beatles, and I see a lot that a compressor helps nail that tone. Any suggestions? I saw a mooer yellow compressor but I don't know if it's "beatley"

lesscold

When I think Beatles compression I think of a few things: high ratio with a pretty fast attack, medium release, and lots of transformer coloration from outboard comp. units. In my opinion, everything but the latter is song-dependent and therefore getting those sounds for yr songs would be a more nuanced process, so a stompbox with a transformer would probably be your best bet. Check out the Bogner Harlow, has a Neve wound transformer and definitely accentuates similar "presence" frequencies as I hear on Beatles records.

rummy

Supporting Member
I use Cmatmods compressor to even out my strumming in All My Loving. It works great for that application.

RockyRacoon

We'll I'd like to buy from guitar center and new and not terribly expensive. And I'm thinking more of the revolver era stuff

teleking36

Silver Supporting Member
100000% on the Origin Effects Cali76, especially the big box transformer versions.

ummohyeah

Give the Tortenmann TK-23 Kompressor a listen. Well worth it. I've gone through two periods of my life which involved "compressor hunt" and this won, hands down. Wonderful, hifi sounding germanium based compressor. Just enough squish and just enough attack. It makes your guitar sound like it's been mastered and pressed to thick vinyl.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I use a diamond comp. I find the tone knob great to add some jangle if I want.

For a nicely priced 1176 as others were suggesting, check out the new mxr 5knob comp or mxr bass comp, same pedal.

bigjon

A lot of the Beatles tones were direct to desk as well, so I'd be looking at a JHS Colour Box / Cali 76 combo. The original Abbey Road compressor was an EMI RS124 but I'm not aware of a pedal emulation. The Urei 1176 which the Cali 76 is based on is the right era though.

WhoJamFan

Another vote for the Janglebox, it's what is was made to do. People like to complain about how it isn't as "transparant" as this or that, but it wasn't made to be. It imparts its own flavor on whatever you run through it.
It nails those Beatle/Byrds sounds with a Rickenbacker 12 like no other, just ask Roger McGuinn or Mike Campbell if you happen to run into them(;

champion ruby

That was my thought too. I remember reading about them using the old U-1176.
Definitely not! Beatles compression is Fairchild, RS124 and EMI mod Altec FYI.

I'm sure the Cali76 is a nice compressor pedal for guitar but it's become the answer to every compression thread here...

SurfGreenTele

Wasn't the BJFE (Bearfoot) Pale Green Comp designed by Bjorn to sound like The Beatles compression?
Yeah exactly. I think he was playing Hi-Watts, and decided to make the PGC to give him a bit of Vox-like compression specifically for Beatles covers.

Trending Topics