• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The Beatles live in Australia

Capstan Philips

Silver Supporting Member
If this is how great they were, after downsizing their hours long sets to a rote 25 minutes, one can only imagine the excitement they generated in Hamburg.

Probably the closest we can get is this:

I LOVE their performance of Some Other Guy at the Cavern - I first saw that clip going on for 40 years ago, as a kid, when it was featured in The Compleat Beatles - the definitive TV docu back in the day (well, other than its forerunner, The Rutles!).

Really spoke to me, that performance :cool:

MIke MM

I LOVE their performance of Some Other Guy at the Cavern - I first saw that clip going on for 40 years ago, as a kid, when it was featured in The Compleat Beatles - the definitive TV docu back in the day (well, other than its forerunner, The Rutles!).

Really spoke to me, that performance :cool:
They did some GREAT COVERS, not sure why they never recorded this. The live version on the BCC comp is as close as we get.

Just read the Lewisohn book "Tune In", and was amazed by a couple of facts I never knew.

I always assumed Paul and John had continued writing together since they met in 57, but John's friendship with Stuart Sutcliffe had taken up his time, and put an end to that (probably one of the reasons Paul didn't like Stuart).

It was Brian Epstein who encouraged them to write again, before the Decca audition, and rekindled that flame. They thought their originals were "soft" and not worth their time to record, or even play live.

Without Brian, they would probably only be known as that great obscure bar cover band, that did amazing covers of "Some Other Guy", "Long Tall sally", and "Shot of Rhythm and Blues"

And the doc Beatles Compleat was the bomb.

Traintrack

Where is the Talent?
Silver Supporting Member
The OP's post,

It was a magic trick to record those guitars with no Mic's? Vocals are live,but those guitar tracks? No

metropolis74

The OP's post,

It was a magic trick to record those guitars with no Mic's? Vocals are live,but those guitar tracks? No
It's not magic to set up a mic in a room to record sound and sync it to footage from a couple of cameras.

Guitars and drums are definitely live. No mics on the amps cuz that's just how it was done back then. The amps had to carry the room on their own. Only vocals through the PA (plus some drums from the mic above Ringo). This wasn't like a modern live recording mix "from the board". There probably was no "board" to record audio from anyway. I'm guessing it just a guy with a Nagra out in the venue somewhere to get the best mix of audio vs screaming. Any film sound guys care to elaborate?

Last edited:

PRW

If you'll notice on the Melbourne shows John's guitar overpowers George's. He was known for turning up louder.

This IMO is the best night The Beatles had on stage musically after things went insane. They could hear themselves play because a sound guy in Atlanta set them up with sufficient firepower and also gave them some primitive monitors.

MIke MM

George Harrison once said:

"They gave their money, and they gave their screams. But the Beatles kind of gave their nervous systems. They used us as an excuse to go mad"

No George, you were just that good.

rednoise

One thing (of many) that strikes me about this performance, and maybe most of their live ones: they always manage to find the perfect tempo for the song. Not too fast or slow, but just the right speed to groove.

frijoleghost

Silver Supporting Member
couple of things:
john lennon is a vicious rhythm player AND rips a killer solo on you can't do that
john lennon is an incredible singer - my favorite rock n roll singer
george harrison is super cool
paul mccartney is a savant
ringo is a monster
how did these dudes end up in the same band - especially john and paul...how is that even possible?
the beatles were magic
every time i hear this boy, i cry

Trending Topics

Top Bottom