• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, or the Monkees??

Bosko

Strange fact -
THE MONKEES OUTSOLD THE BEATLES AND THE ROLLING STONES IN 1967.
In 1967, the year of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, Between the Buttons, and Their Satanic Majesties Request, The Monkees outsold both The Beatles and The Rolling Stones—combined.

Stranger fact -
DAVY JONES DIDN’T KNOW WHO THE BEATLES WERE THE NIGHT OF THEIR SHARED ED SULLIVAN SHOW PERFORMANCE.
Two and a half years before The Monkees premiered, English heartthrob and tambourine player extraordinaire David “Davy” Jones had his first brush with the four moptops who, unbeknownst to him, would change his life forever. As a cast member of the Broadway musical Oliver! (he played the Artful Dodger), Jones just happened to be performing on the same historic Ed Sullivan Show broadcast featuring The Beatles. But probably the craziest part of this story was how the 19-year-old Brit was completely oblivious to who John, Paul, George and Ringo were. As he tells the story in this interview, the late Monkee (Jones died in 2012) had never heard any of The Beatles’s songs. He only took interest in what they were doing because he wanted to figure out how to make girls scream too.

borrowed from - https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/66101/11-things-you-might-not-know-about-monkees

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
What are we voting on? Talent, popularity, favorite or something else?

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
The Monkees musically were pretty good, for what they were. Which was an amalgam of professional writers and studio musicians putting out catchy songs for the wider audience, fronted by cute guys with some comedy thrown in, that part largely borrowed in spirit from the Help! movie. That audience was immediately huge because they were a TV show first and foremost.

But they could have gotten away with much less interesting music, so I give them credit for going the extra mile. They had some good songs. That worked out for them too with a lot better record sales than they might have had with a more mediocre approach.

The Beatles and the Stones were always better, and were cutting edge bands, something the Monkees weren't. The two bands had grown quite a bit by the time the Monkees came around. That growth left a perfect space in the popular music market for the Monkees to step into.

Last edited:

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
>> He only took interest in what they were doing because he wanted to figure out how to make girls scream too.

I'm taking interest because I want to figure out how to make females scream for the right reason!

:eek:

:D

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
As far as Davy Jones not being aware of the Beatles, I don't see anything amazing about it. They had gotten some buzz and drew a big crowd at the airport, but the Ed Sullivan show was the first exposure to the Beatles for many people in the US. Despite being from the UK, Jones was in the US, and presumably focused on his own work being in a Broadway production, and wasn't reading the newspapers. Or watching the CBS Evening News.

ripgtr

I've told the story before but when I was in the 4th or 5th grade, one of the other kids said "The Monkees are better than the Beatles cause the Monkees have a TV show and the Beatles only have a cartoon". And the Stones didn't even have a cartoon!!!

Monkees actually had a lot of good songs, they were on the radio all the time - yea, transistor AM radios were like the coolest thing ever. The guitar intro to Last Train, though an obvious Beatles rip, was really good. Wrecking crew.

Nesmith also wrote Different Drum, which is a really good song.

They were a thrown together thing for the network to make money, I doubt they had any expectation they would be anything more than throw away.

They weren't the Beatles or Stones but they were surprisingly good for what they were.

viper

Loved the Monkees, used to watch the reruns all of the time in the late 70s when I was 8-10 years old or so. I remember one of my friends saying "Peter Tork's on dope!" and I couldn't understand why he thought Peter was dumb.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom