• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, or the Monkees??

jackrd

The difference between the Monkees and many other bands is, with the former, we know that they didn't play the instruments on their early albums.

I think if we knew this truth concerning many other bands we like, many of us would be shocked.
Yep. So true. For ex. the Byrds. The only person from the Byrds playing on Mr. Tamborine Man is McGuinn. The rest is all Wrecking Crew. Crosby and Clark do sing along with McGuinn, however. Same with Gary Lewis and the Playboys - all Wrecking Crew. Even G. Lewis' voice had to be manipulated because he could not sing well. And no one, even at the height of Monkees fame, would ever have believed someone from the Monkees could have played the lead break in "Valerie". That was a stretch!

aiq

Silver Supporting Member
I was in the jr. high era when all this malarkey was going on and among my clique of guitar bums the Monkees were totally L7.

Like the difference between A.M. radio psychedelia and the genuine article.

nightchef

BTW, there's a perception out there that the Monkees' early records were played by the Wrecking Crew. This is only sorta kinda half-true, depending on how broadly you define that club. It’s true that there was a series of summer 1966 sessions, with Mike Nesmith acting as producer, with real first-call Crew folks such as Glen Campbell, James Burton, Larry Knechtel, Hal Blaine, and Jim Gordon. But only four tracks from these sessions wound up being released, all Nesmith originals: Papa Gene's Blues, Sweet Young Thing, The Kind of Girl I Could Love, and Mary, Mary.

The rest of the tracks on the first two albums mostly featured musicians whose names you may not recognize unless you are a major 60s session geek--some of them appear to have no notable credits aside from those Monkees records (maybe buddies of producers Boyce and Hart?).

nightchef

How can this be talked about without considering the Archies?

Especially considering that the Archies existed because Don Kirshner wanted to replicate the Monkees experience without the annoying factor of real-life musicians who might want creative input.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
The Byrds and many of the groups who used LA "wrecking crew" session musicians and brill building writers...
Yep. So true. For ex. the Byrds. The only person from the Byrds playing on Mr. Tamborine Man is McGuinn. The rest is all Wrecking Crew. Crosby and Clark do sing along with McGuinn, however.
And though “Mr. Tambourine Man” was the only track on that album cut by the so-called “Wrecking Crew,” to hear some tell it, it was every song every lineup of the band ever put out.
BTW, there's a perception out there that the Monkees' early records were played by the Wrecking Crew. This is only sorta kinda half-true, depending on how broadly you define that club. It’s true that there was a series of summer 1966 sessions, with Mike Nesmith acting as producer, with real first-call Crew folks such as Glen Campbell, James Burton, Larry Knechtel, Hal Blaine, and Jim Gordon. But only four tracks from these sessions wound up being released, all Nesmith originals: Papa Gene's Blues, Sweet Young Thing, The Kind of Girl I Could Love, and Mary, Mary.

The rest of the tracks on the first two albums mostly featured musicians whose names you may not recognize unless you are a major 60s session geek--some of them appear to have no notable credits aside from those Monkees records (maybe buddies of producers Boyce and Hart?).
It’s weird when people refer to various session musicians as though they were an actual band. Hal Blaine started that, far as I can tell. Carole Kay has said they were never called that. There wasn’t even a concrete “they” to need to call anything.

If they were a band, Jim Gordon and others ghosted a lot of Hal Blaine’s tracks for him.;)

Brad2

I do appreciate all three bands but the Beatles I like the best from those three bands cause their song are absolutely great . The Stones are also great and for the Monkees I got this special feeling because of the song Daydream believer

Trending Topics

Top Bottom