• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, or the Monkees??

And though “Mr. Tambourine Man” was the only track on that album cut by the so-called “Wrecking Crew,” to hear some tell it, it was every song every lineup of the band ever put out.

It’s weird when people refer to various session musicians as though they were an actual band. Hal Blaine started that, far as I can tell. Carole Kay has said they were never called that. There wasn’t even a concrete “they” to need to call anything.

If they were a band, Jim Gordon and others ghosted a lot of Hal Blaine’s tracks for him.;)
Yeah, the whole "wrecking crew" thing is def a mythology floated by Hal. I love when Carol Kaye debunks this in every interview! It's easy shorthand for music nerd conversations involving "various LA session musicians" though. I mean, who calls The White Album "that self-titled Beatles album with the white cover?"

Brad2

Hendrix opened for them!
You mean studio guys played all the tracks ? Still sometimes things work out surprisingly well when a songwriter , a producer , hired studio musicians and a singer with a voice that suits exactly in the context of the production create something and that is the case with the song Daydream believer

nightchef

You mean studio guys played all the tracks ? Still sometimes things work out surprisingly well when a songwriter , a producer , hired studio musicians and a singer with a voice that suits exactly in the context of the production create something and that is the case with the song Daydream believer
True, and….just for accuracy’s sake, two of the key instrumental parts on Daydream Believer — the piano that opens the record, and the twangy, harmonic-laden clean electric guitar part that answers it — were played by Tork and Nesmith respectively.

Strummerfan

The Monkees were aptly named. The OP only shows that a lot of parents found them more suitable for gifts for little tots than the music of the Stones or Beatles, which was definitely more "dangerous" in that eras mindset.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom