The beer people are here..oh joy!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hellbender, Feb 6, 2015.

1. hellbender

hellbender Member

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  2. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Man, I'd love to try it but I hate waiting in lines.

3. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

Not so vastly different than the Elder, which I'll have 2 of at lunch today.

4. Hanglow

Hanglow Member

Baws to that :eek:

Mind you I have taken a weekend trip with the aim of drinking beer so I suppose it's not much different :eek: No line waiting though

5. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

Tried Elder numerous times and liked Racer 5 and Drakes better. Would love to try Younger someday but not about to wait in ridiculous lines so I can have bragging rights. Got to hand it to them: they know how to hype a product.

Plenty of great beers out there that you can get anytime without waiting in lines. Life is too short.

6. hellbender

hellbender Member

Yes, the paper even listed several other notable area brews that you can get without the wait. That kinda assures me that the hoopla is largely imaginary. It's fun though. People are enjoying themselves, being social and city coffers are getting an injection of foreign funds.

7. Barefoot

Barefoot Senior Member

Another over hopped ale? Just what we need. Another version of the latest/greatest fashion statement.

To each their own..

Give me a properly made Pilsner. Thank you very much!....

Carry on....

Matter of fact I'm going to finish up todays work load and head down for a few pints.

8. hellbender

hellbender Member

Apparently, there is no such thing as an over-hopped ale.

9. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

One way to look at it. If only you could sip on some brews-legally-while waiting outside...

10. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Looks like a big Beer Party to me. I'm in :dude

11. DamianL

DamianL Member

I am currently enjoying a lovely left hand milk stout...

Classic american stout available in Scotland...truly this is a great time to be alive...

D

12. Mike Anderson

Mike Anderson Member

Luckily, all I have to do is drive a mile or so into Berkeley.

13. mapleneck72

mapleneck72 Member

Amazing that you could just stop by for lunch and grab one without waiting in line in 2011. I thought it was worthy of the hype and better than Pliny the Elder.
    I had it again in 2013 and it was not worth the 1 hour wait in line.
    With the lines running 4-12 hours last year, I didn't even try.
    I'll go this year if my friend can get the hookup and we don't have to wait in line.

14. Rayneman

Rayneman Supporting Member

Enjoy your Miller Lite.

Just kidding.

I like craft beer, probably too much, but I do recognize some of the silliness that can go on.

15. Beakertwang

Beakertwang Supporting Member

I, for one, am a fan of over-hopped ales. But I only drink about 4 beers a year, so what do I know. Not waiting in line for one. Except if there's a great Black Friday deal.

16. Barefoot

Barefoot Senior Member

I'm equally happy some micro brewers are taking the time to make 1st rate Pilsners. We have a couple of taverns here in town that have 15-30 different micro brews on tap....sometimes theres 2 or 3 Pilsners to choose from. This is a very good day.

:drink

17. Rayneman

Rayneman Supporting Member

I love a good Pilsner as well. Beer doesn't always have to taste like a Christmas tree.

18. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

For beer lovers it's the TGP equivalent of getting to play through a Dumble, a Klon, and a burst to see what all the hubbub is about. It's all in good fun.

It's dropping at a top secret time and location in San Diego next week. Anyone wants to know shoot me a message.

19. GrooveSkipInc

GrooveSkipInc Member

You can get it almost every year at the Horse Brass in Portland. If you're a beer lover and in Portland, go here anyway. Incredible rotating selection.

20. hellbender

hellbender Member

The history of Pliny the Younger

1994: Vinnie Cilurzo, who grew up in a winemaking family, founds Blind Pig Brewing Co. in Temecula. He operates it for about three years.

1997: Cilurzo and his wife, Natalie, move to Sonoma County. He starts work as the brewmaster at Russian River Brewing Co., an operation then owned by Korbel Champagne Cellars

2000: Russian River debuts its double-hopped India pale ale, Pliny the Elder, at the Double IPA Festival in Hayward. Its namesake is the Roman naturalist and philosopher who died in A.D. 79 and who some folks say was one of the first people to write about hops. The name’s genesis aside, the beer is consistently ranked as one of the top beers in the world.

2003: Korbel sells the Russian River brand to the Cilurzos.
    2004: Russian River’s brew pub opens in downtown Santa Rosa.
    2005: Pliny the Younger debuts. The triple-hopped India pale ale clocks in with an alcohol content of more than 10 percent. It’s available for only two weeks a year because of its time- and cash-consuming brewing process.
    2008: Cilurzo wins the Brewers Association’s Russell Schehrer Award for Innovation in Craft Brewing, one of the industry’s most prestigious honors.
    2008: Russian River’s production brewery opens about a mile from the brew pub, allowing beers to get to three times as many thirsty fans.
    2010: Beer Advocate users give Pliny the Younger a perfect score and the No. 1 ranking, making it the unofficial best beer in the U.S. The day of the beer’s February release, Russian River is overwhelmed by the crowds and runs out of the Younger within hours.
    2013: Russian River works with the Flamingo Hotel in Santa Rosa on a special Pliny the Younger package deal in response to suds-soaked tourists who flock to Santa Rosa each February. (A second hotel joins in on the promotion in 2014.)
    2014: Russian River starts upgrading its brewing equipment in Santa Rosa and temporarily shifts some of its beer production — including kegs of Pliny the Elder — to the Firestone Walker Brewing Co. facility in Paso Robles (San Luis Obispo County).
    2015: The Russian River brew pub sells the latest Younger in 10-ounce glasses for $4.75; sorry, no growlers or bottles. The hops used are: Simcoe, Warrior, Chinook, Centennial, Amarillo, Northern Brewer and Tomahawk. Expect an aromatic ale that’s over-the-top on the hops and bitterness but finishes dry despite the malt-heavy recipe.
    Tim O’Rourke is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. E-mail: torourke@sfchronicle.com Twitter: @TimothyORourke