The Behringer Model D Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Keyboards and Synthesizers' started by Allthesound, Mar 18, 2018.

1. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

How are you guys still liking yours? I’m thinking of getting one though the grandmother seems as mentioned a more complete instrument, though of course at 3x the price it should be.

I like the small step sequencer in the grandmother for quick inspiration, one of my old keyboards will probably suffice for the boog ( I’m probably the king of old out of date tech on this board, I’m using my Emax SE as we speak)

2. Tisca

Tisca Member

I'm using a KeyStep to control my Boog. Without its arp and seq I don't think I'd enjoy the Boog much. Either way, buy a KeyStep, everyone needs to own one.

zekmoe likes this.
  3. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Thanks! I’ve been looking for a hardware device like this and didn’t come across it yet. I’ve been using the arpeggiator in my EmaxSE which I know well but it hardly allows what this seems to. I watched a few vids and it seems good.
    I hate to step too much back into keys as it’s worse than guitars as the individual modules today are pretty cheap.

4. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Based on the suggestion above I got the keystep along with the Boog today and have been playing for hours. I had various Moogs back in the day though no actual mini ( micro and source) and this is close enough from my memory.

5. shakey_slim

shakey_slim Member

Just ordered a Boog and keystep last night. Should be here Saturday

First synth I've had since my old Crumar back in the 80s

:banana:banana

6. TANFK

TANFK Member

And the verdict was?

7. chandra

chandra Member

Closing in on a Boog. Might have it today if I play my cards right.

Allthesound and Squatch57 like this.
  8. Andrew.

Andrew. Member

Picked one up a few weeks ago - have it paired up with my Deepmind 6.

Love it.

chandra likes this.
  9. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

It’s great! The sound is equal to my Minimoog but the interface is different enough to make them very different synths. I sequence the Boog almost exclusively but don’t twiddle those tiny knobs as much as on the big one. The added high pass filter is really nice.

Squatch57 likes this.
  10. TANFK

TANFK Member

Is the big one you have vintage or new?

For 300 bucks the Boog is a pretty ridiculous deal... And for ANYONE who has NEVER had a synth with NO screen... its so fun its stupid. So its great they got it made for so little. I prefer my synths without screens as they make you think differently.

I have a 1974 Mini but its such a PITA... but worth every bit of trouble LOL. Ive been looking at this as a safety net. But I'm stupid married to my current unit and even the old ones all sound different. The new Moogs- all of the ones I tried, don't sound the same as mine. I wish they did...

But again... $300? Hard to resist!

Black_Label and Squatch57 like this.
  11. tanee

tanee Member

The model D is now $208 on Sweetwater!!! Kind of a no brainer at this point!

Madsen and Squatch57 like this.
  12. Madsen

Madsen Member

Just saw that last night. Really tempted to snag one.

A friend stacks 4 of them.

13. tanee

tanee Member

Me too, I'm considering starting a Eurorack modular build and I think the Model D would be a good starting point at this price!

14. Madsen

Madsen Member

Indeed. That's exactly why I haven't bought one. I'm trying to avoid going down the Eurocrack rabbit hole for as long as possible. I have other projects i'm trying to stay focused on.

15. GMGM

GMGM Supporting Member

Yep. I love mine. I'd still love to have a mechanism, to automatically tune it to A=440Hz. But it's so much fun.

If you're looking, it's also 100% worth it to grab the Arturia keystep as the controller. It's small, it has a step sequencer that is easy to use if you have a basic understanding of note length/value. And with Keystep you can trick it into being duo-phonic as well via CV.

16. tanee

tanee Member

Arturia keystep definitely looks cool but I'll probably use sequencer and arpeggiator plug-ins in a DAW, mostly because I already have them.

GMGM likes this.
  17. Valtyr

Valtyr Member

The Boog rocks! I got one a few months ago. I sometimes connect it to my Voyager. 3 VCOs are often overkill, 6 is epic. ;)

18. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

I never really bonded with mine. Price drop has me thrilled I moved mine for around $250 a few months ago lol. It's a killer synth for sure, just wasn't really what I was looking for most of the time.

19. redchapterjubilee

redchapterjubilee Supporting Member

I liked mine but ultimately moved it along when I bought a Grandmother.

20. pcs9527

pcs9527 Member

That is an insane price.
    If Behringer made a larger version with a built-in high quality keyboard with velocity and aftertouch I'd be all over that. They've made other synths with keyboards, so who knows...