The Best 15-25 watt boutique amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gpro34, Feb 24, 2006.

1. gpro34

gpro34 Member

I am wanting some of your thoughts and suggestions. I know there are many out there, which ones do you like?

2. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

The Best one is the one you don't have.:Devil

Seriously I like my Alessandro English in the 20watt range. Haven't played it much these days tho. I also played a new 18 watt Marshall that was sweet. I don't know if thats considered Booteek tho.:rolleyes:

Bob

3. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

I don't know if you'd consider Rivera boutique or not, but I've played through a Clubster 25 and I found it was quite nice sounding considering how small it was. The tone controls were very responsive, (ie. not subtle changes). Cleans had surprisingly nice low end with the bass control turned up a bit. I'll leave it at that since you may be looking for a smaller builder.

4. Lution

Lution Supporting Member

Bogner Metropolis
    Fargen 6V6 Blackbird

5. skiraly017

skiraly017 Guest

Bought a Carr Rambler a few months ago. Haven't looked at/for anything since.

6. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

7. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

/13 SJT 10-20 - simply marvelous......

8. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Moved to the proper section

-and-

65Amps London, my preference is for the 2x10 combo but the 2x12 and the head are excellent as well :)

18 watts of awesome, amazing, phenomenal, stupendous sound - yeah, that's more like it.

--chiba

9. tthompso7

tthompso7 Guest

I'm using the Bad Cat Cub IIR (15 watts) and Top Hat Club Royale (20 watts). They're both EL84's but have their own distinct tone. The Cub is a 1 x 12, it's Vox like with plenty of sparkle. You can bypass the master which is what I do. The CR is a 2 x12 which gives it more bottom end, not that the cub doesn't have plenty...but the sparkle is more subdued. Again it's Vox like with some Marshall crunch.

You couldn't go wrong with either. Both sound awesome cranked. The Natural breakup is sweet! I've only used them in small clubs but I'm sure they'd be fine in a moderately sized place mic'd. These are great studio amps.

10. Doodad

Doodad Member

I get my Goodsell Superseventeen tomorrow! More then, but this is a seriously hot amp.

11. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

It's an impossible question to answer without narrowing down your tastes, style, associated gear, and what you want to hear out of an amp.

Example: Do you need more than one channel, or an amp with switching options to get more than one basic sound? Do you play metal, punk, classic rock, jazz, blues....well, you get the point.

There are lots of great amps, and when you reach a certain point, it's less a matter of "better-best" than it is a matter of personal taste.

12. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Well really, Les, if you check out the other answers you already know how to answer this question. Same way most people answer any other question re: what's the best _______: It's the one that I own. Always.

This is a very utilitarian answer. It is often successfully used even when the answer isn't quite relevant. For example:

Q: What's the best strat replacment pickup?
    A: Strats sonund thin and weak. You should be using humbuckers. I highly recommend a good Holmes pickup. Like the one I use in my Ernie Small Weenie Crusher.

or

Q: What's the very absolute best-ever 10" speaker for playing thrash-polka-noise music?
    A: That's very easy to answer - 10" speakers don't work for thrash-polka-noise music. You can only use horns. I suggest getting some good JBL 15 inchers with the 30lb magnets...like the ones I use.

See, there's always an appropriate answer no matter how meaningless the question. :)

13. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Don't be silly. They're the ones that are played by the best guitar players.

14. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Preach it Bro'!

Oh, Top Hat Club Royale-I love mine! :p

15. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

i want your amps...:Devil

16. eric102673

eric102673 Member

Yup yup. You're likely to get a completly different answer with every reply. There are a TON of great amps in that range. A TON.
    The reason everyone says buy a "______" it's what I use, is cause people buy what they like. They want to share their good taste with others. Unfortunately the tastes on this board run as deep, as far and as wide as the different locations we all live in.

I could recommend a Screwno Sheepbanger, but you may actually despise that tone.

Very subjective. Very subjective.

-e.

17. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Using stratovarius' definition....

I use a Clark Beaufort 5E3 clone chassis in an Amardillo Ampworks 1x15 cab... ;)

18. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I don't like to talk about my equipment in public but I will say it plays real nice.

19. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Obviously lot's of great choices in the 15-25 watt "boutique amp" market. But IMO....you'd be hard pressed to currently find a better deal on a brand new small boutique amp than the Clark "Beaufort Special". At $800 for a completely hand built, hand wired, Tweed Deluxe amp that uses only top notch components... I couldn't resist! :eek: Placed my order with Bob at The Perfect Note yesterday :dude

Check it out! www.clarkamplification.com

20. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I don't know how everyone else is defining "best", but here are my favorites:

TopHat Club Royale/Deluxe (Vox meets Marshall meets Tweed Fender)

Tone King Imperial (scooped Fender BF and Fender Tweed on steroids)

Dr. Z Z28 (cross between Fender BF & Tweed)

Soldano Astroverb (baby SLO with the right cab)