The best "Bedroom Amp" of all time...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hogy, Sep 5, 2019.

1. hogy

hogy Member

...is without a doubt the Fender Twin Reverb.

I remember when I was a 16 year old kid who had only ever messed around with small amps, I got the chance to play a silverface Twin at a friend's house. Amp volume was on 2 the whole time, and I couldn't believe the cinemascope sound I was hearing. Deep, clear, huge soundstage. Made a Strat sound so good.

Fast forward a few decades and a hundred amps and nothing has changed. If I want to just enjoy a Fender guitar the way Leo intended, there is nothing that beats a Twin Reverb. It's such a joy to play. Doesn't matter what it is, blackface, silverface, they all kill.

I was without a Twin for some years and just recently picked up another one. Won't be without one again, that's for sure.

The fact that this masterpiece of a tube guitar amp sells for one third of what a blackface Princeton Reverb sells for is a complete joke and a great opportunity. I have both, the Princeton sounds like a toy next to it, at the same low volume. Every guitar player should have a Twin Reverb, even if they never turn it up past 3.

[​IMG]

Lauri Vennonen, e???, LReese and 58 others like this.
  2. MrGuitarhack

MrGuitarhack Member

Fantastic beautiful sounding amps. My buddy's older brother had a 60's twin and that sucker was loud. Of course it was the 70's and he was playing a les paul but damn it sounded good.

3. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Member

Great time to get a blackface twin. My Nocaster RI into a 67 is the stuff of dreams

4. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Hi Hogy,
    I've been itching to try a tube amp (my first) but they don't carry them in the stores here. right now I play with pedals + SS amps.
    Even with an SS amp, I have to play at minimum volume.
    With a big vs small amp, I understand that you can have the smaller one OD earlier & at friendlier volumes.
    But I mostly play cleans - low gain. And I've read that bigger amps have better cleans than smaller amps (even at low volumes)..
    What has been your experience in this regard?

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  5. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

I totally agree with you. But, it's all fun and games until you've got to gig with it or carry it around. I looked for someone who makes a single channel twin reverb in a head for a while. Nada. I finally decided to get a Jim Kelley Reverb head and that scratched the itch and more for me. Sometimes still wish I had a Twin just for home. Great amps.

MLaVache, Jess 1971 and Aslan like this.
  6. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

I agree, a Twin is an absolutely beautiful sounding amp. I played a '73 once in a Guitar Center and that sound has haunted me ever since. I've not been fortunate enough to own one yet.

FOR ME, the best bedroom amp I've found is a '73 Vibro Champ. The clean tones, and the vibrato, I think, are heavenly.

Fasel and fretless like this.
  7. hogy

hogy Member

Then don't carry it to a gig!
    Silverface Twins are fetching 6-700 bucks here. Buy one, stick it in your music room and never move it again.

yfeefy, Sp8ctre, RAG7890 and 13 others like this.
  8. hogy

hogy Member

My experience has been: big amps sound big, small amps sound small. Tube amps sound better than solid state amps.

yfeefy, Alan Dunn, AndreasG and 19 others like this.
  9. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Thanks.
    Not sure when I get one but I'll be looking into 'big' master volume amps now.
    With everything leaning towards modelers, I thought I'll end up using an HX Stomp or something similar & miss the fun of tube amp completely.

10. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Unfortunately my space is limited and must be used more efficiently than that. But if I had the space, it would be a consideration. As I said, great amps and I agree on the sentiment about sounding good at low volume. However, size and weight can still be a factor regardless. A single channel head version would be my choice.

Tritone and dumbell78 like this.
  11. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

:D:D:D
    You just made the price of vintage Fender Twin Reverbs go up, just from this one post! :D

But...I do agree with you. I had a friend in HS who had a silverface Twin Reverb in his bedroom, and he also had a '60s ES-335. The Twin and the 335 sounded fantastic together, and he never turned the volume up beyond conversation level.

gkoelling and blackba like this.
  12. goodtone

goodtone Member

My friend bought his silver face twin back in the early 70's. Cool amp . One of the classics ! Still has it in his music room .

13. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Gold Supporting Member

I suppose it's true because once you get it into the bedroom you never want to carry it out again.

Jaddy, Vaibhav Joshi, jdel77 and 10 others like this.
  14. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

It is almost big enough for people to sleep in but that’s not what the term bedroom amp comes from.

I get the old timey appeal but it does nothing for me. It represents what the electric guitar sounded like when rock n roll was invented.
    To me it’s appealing as driving a model t. It’s historically important but it can’t do what I need it to.

15. VJF

VJF Member

Hogy, do you have a Super Reverb? If so, curious how they compare at bedroom volumes.

16. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

How big is your bedroom?!?:eek:

Sp8ctre and SweetClyde99 like this.
  17. monkeybike

monkeybike Member

*cough* Tonemaster *cough*

18. hogy

hogy Member

Yes, I do. They compare very favorably. Both are milestone amps that sound good at any volume.

AndreasG, RAG7890, JKjr and 3 others like this.
  19. TELECOLLECTOR

TELECOLLECTOR Astro Boy - who knew? Gold Supporting Member

Complete, harmonious, agreement with Hogy.

I have a number of amps I bought and moved into my "music room" and will likely never move again.

I have other, smaller "portable" amps to transport, but the big iron amps are hard to beat - at any volume.

Here is a 1970 head and cab that has seen MANY bar gigs by the "aged" grill cloth color. I picked up the very clean 1968 head for no other reason other than it was a GREAT deal and I love the sound of these behemoths.

[​IMG]

Here are a 1961 Concert and a 1965 SR which I really love too. I really gravitate towards 4x10 configs.
    [​IMG]

Again, I couldn't pass on this 1969 drip edge SR procured from a fellow TGP'er.
    [​IMG]

20. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Yep blows my mind how they didn't appreciate in value near as much as many other Fenders. I have a 1970 Twin that I've had buried behind my other amps for years and have been missing it, so hopefully will get that going soon. It has 2 loose tube sockets that I need to fix, but that should be ez . . . Just out of curiosity @hogy do you have a speaker favorite for your Twin? Eric