The Best Complete Cheap Board:

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TenneyThe2nd, Feb 17, 2009.

1. TenneyThe2nd

TenneyThe2nd Member

My income is really limited, so I've been working on building a high quality pedal rig for a while now. My rig is currently FD2>TIM>Nova Delay. I think I'm going to unload the FD2 for an OCD. I tried my friends OCD and it stacked better with the TIM IMO. I guess I just don't like mid humps... (but I digress).

So, I know this is going to start a fight, but what do you think is a good affordable complete board? By complete I mean Wah>Comp>ODs>Chorus>Volume>Trem>Delay>Reverb

In fact, let's not even include drives... too much to choose from, even on the cheap end. Boss OD-3 seems to be the choice for cheap drive, though. Although, I think anyone who skims TGP knows there are some good affordable options like the FD2 and OCD, and especially the TIM if you can wait.

Let's try to talk objectively, without the usual Gear Page "it can't be good if it doesn't cost at least twice that much" and base our answers on what we think is a good overall consensus. Here's what I've got to start with:

Dunlop Classic Crybaby>Humphrey Mod Boss CS3>ODs>(What's a good cheap chorus?)>EB Volume>Boss TR-2>Boss DD-7>Digitech Hardwire RV-7

2. TenneyThe2nd

TenneyThe2nd Member

Oh, let's add phase.

Stock MXR Block Phase 90

3. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

The Small Clone is always a good choice for good, cheap chorus.

4. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

are you sure you need a volume pedal?
    seems like a waste of space.

I had one on my board and never used it. One less pedal to send the signal through.

5. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Crybaby Classic > Boss CS-3 > MXR Phase 90 > Dano Chicken Salad Vibe > Boss SD-1 > Barber Dirty Bomb > EHX Small Clone > Hardwire DL-8 > Dano Cool Cat Tremelo > Hardwire RV-7 > Dano Fish'n'Chips EQ > BBE Boosta Grande

I think that covers all the basis. Yes there would be some tone suck, but it would still be a pretty great little board.

6. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

Wah>Comp>ODs>Chorus>Volume>Trem>Delay>Reverb

crybaby be your cheep wah. use it
    barber is your comp. look no further.
    you already have your od thing figured out. go ocd or od3 for your choice. od3 is cheaper used.
    chorus - bos ce5. find an early one.
    volume - eb is the volume of choice and cheap. want to double your price, go goodrich.
    trem - never found one that makes me smile more than the dano tuna melt. new dano is prob ok or good. boss tr2 is a keeper on the cheeper as well.
    delay - you've got one
    verb on the cheeper - digiverb. hands down.

there's my play :-D

enjoy

have fun

7. kidvox

kidvox Member

and you can even put the wah in a cheap DIY TB looper switch to prevent all that tone loss. same thing with the other pedals but the wah is a real tone sucker.

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    what a load of bollocks :nono

no-one can tell anyone what a complete board consists of. Depends entirely on what your needs are, what kind of music you are using it for and what your personal tastes are. And all that is a constantly moving target. :jo

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  9. TenneyThe2nd

TenneyThe2nd Member

Actually, I tried to set up a working definition of a "complete" board, not including drives, since that seems to be a "way too many options--way to many opinions" sort of thing. I also hoped that people might look a bit more objectively than "my favorite" and simply think about good cheaper options. I think it would be pretty common opinion that a complete board (not include dirt) is wah, phase, comp, trem, chorus, vibe, delay, & verb. I know there are tons of other mod effects like PS5/whammy effects, ring mods, and more, but phase, chorus, vibe, and trem seem to be the standard mod/level/filter effects.:jo

10. Greiginoz

Greiginoz Member

Wah>Comp>ODs>Chorus>Volume>Trem>Delay>Reverb
    I'm not bothered about a volume pedal so I will leave it out and have a tuner in there instead, so,
    For me it has to be:-
    Korg Pitchblack > Vox Wah V847 > Boss CS3 > Danelectro TOD > Boss TR-2 > MXR Carbon Copy > Hardwire Reverb.
    All of this stuff can be bought off the shelf and relatively cheaply especially if you got it all from the emporium!