The best Dumble Drive pedal???

Wyzard

Supporting Member
Just buy a Mark series Mesa and be done.
Which one ? They all sound (and, more importantly, feel) different. Added to which, individual early MkIIs sound different from others of the same series, and you have to play a lot before finding the good ones. MkIIIs are a complete crapshoot in this respect - most aren't anywhere close to an ODS.

I have had almost all of them up to MkIV - still do, in fact - and the only ones that I've kept specifically for their tangency to any kind of D-style are IIAs and early Coli IIBs: later Coli IIBs are generally more like IIC+s than anything else. And regardless of what anyone else has ever told you, unless you play with a very light touch, no Mk is ever going to sound like you think an ODS should sound.

Speaking for myself, I use these amps more for an SSS D-style than for any ODS kind of thing. That's what they're better at - hit them hard, and feel the uncompressed slam and bite.

On pedals, I like the Ethos and Van Weelden; but again, more for an SSS style.

The Captain

Which one ? They all sound (and, more importantly, feel) different. Added to which, individual early MkIIs sound different from others of the same series, and you have to play a lot before finding the good ones. MkIIIs are a complete crapshoot in this respect - most aren't anywhere close to an ODS.

I have had almost all of them up to MkIV - still do, in fact - and the only ones that I've kept specifically for their tangency to any kind of D-style are IIAs and early Coli IIBs: later Coli IIBs are generally more like IIC+s than anything else. And regardless of what anyone else has ever told you, unless you play with a very light touch, no Mk is ever going to sound like you think an ODS should sound.

Speaking for myself, I use these amps more for an SSS D-style than for any ODS kind of thing. That's what they're better at - hit them hard, and feel the uncompressed slam and bite.

On pedals, I like the Ethos and Van Weelden; but again, more for an SSS style.
I guess, get the sound in your head that you think you want, then go demo a Mark V or a JP2C+ and tweak it until you are happy. At this point , we don't really know what he is after, but if he's getting lost in the weeds, it's probably a high gain sound, and he is not adding enough boost to compensate for the lost SPL that increasing compression causes. I suspect that's really the cause of his problem, not the actual tone he is getting.
Santana gets away with it by owning the band and making sure everyone else steps out of his way.
A good way to understand that is to plug in an EQD Erupter, and listen to how the apparent increasing output doesn't actually make it louder, just keeps it present as it gets more compressed.
Sure, it's not a Dumble, but so far the OP has had little joy in getting the results he wants with the pedals he has tried, and he's tried all the main offenders, so it's time to try something else.
He could buy one of the many respectable Dumble clones out there too.
I stand by by un-informed assertion (OK, I did own a IIC+ for a decade) that if you get lost in the mix playing a Mark, you are doing it all wrong.

Wyzard

Supporting Member
Undeniable about Mks of any sort being used wrong, if you're not being heard:)

I have never not been heard.

Not always necessarily a good thingo_O

1973Marshall

I've not found anything better than a J. Rocket "Dude." Especially mated to the dirt channel of a Fillmore 50.
I’m not a Dumble tone chaser but the Dude was quite impressive. With a decent amp it can really make some magic and get you your own original tones without sounding like everyone else. Very expressive.

The Zendrive is pretty solid as well

ruger9

Supporting Member
I listened to a few of their videos. Mike Herman did a great job but he had a few others and that dreamy sustain and overdrive was super nice. And with that much volume I might could use this as my base preamp. These true Dumble drives from what I read aren’t high gain beasts anyhow. I listened to the dumbledore and almost bought it but with both those channels there was only one volume. Sounded good but wasn’t very flexible in my opinion. But what sold me was the guy builds Dumble amps. So I thought who better to know what it should be. Have you heard his amps??? Man they sound phenomenal. But I got it from his website. Didn’t find one for sale on reverb tho, not even a used one
Definitely check back in with your options on it... the problem with Mike Hermans' demos are, he makes everything sound great.

Vertizontal

Never been a chaser of that tone for my staple sound but it's always nice to have a few great tones in your bag for variety...and that would include something D-tone-ish. I stumbled onto the Jetter Altair pedal last year and found it got me close enuff to scratch the itch when it hits, use it often now!

:aok:dude:dude:dude:aok
Definitely check back in with your options on it... the problem with Mike Hermans' demos are, he makes everything sound great.
Absolutely. Not sure how long shipping will take from Russia. I have to agree about mike. He’s a complete pro and I dare say his rig is superior to most but he does make cheap pedals sound like a million bucks. I did find a couple ‘meh’ videos on the holy grail but went back to the ones that sold me. One thing I like about mike is he uses single coils too. For me a humbucker brings out the best in every thing where as it’s a little more difficult to make single coils sing the way you want. But when you do it’s awesome. I suppose the term ‘dumble’ is a loose reference. I would think it refers to a thick creamy yet not muddy sound. I get a lot of that already with my klon when I boost into it. I’m not dissatisfied with my sound in the least but I am looking for something a little different tho to add. My jtm45 is super finicky. My normal pedal rig can’t work with it like it does my clean fenders. Kinda stumping me really. So that’s why I’m changing things too. I also second guessed myself on the dumbledore and went back to look again. The video sounded amazing and someone here at gear page got one the listed it shortly after and never said why. I also found another review stating bad pick articulation so sometimes I guess being thick and creamy must have a good balance of other things. Not saying it ain’t good but I think I made the right decision for me on the gtown. Oh and he has one more available

ruger9

Supporting Member
I suppose the term ‘dumble’ is a loose reference. I would think it refers to a thick creamy yet not muddy sound.
That's how I think of it/hear it as well. My thing is, I'm not interested in stacking... I like standalone pedals to do what they do... no "help" needed. Just simpler that way for me.

Another thing... which is making this a tougher journey for me... this is for a PRRI. PRRI's do not take OD pedals well. I've had several pedals over the years that do the "creamy yet not muddy" thing, into various amps.... Fulldrive 2, Mythical OD (klone), Mesa Flux Drive, quite a few.... but the PRRI is VERY picky. The PRRI is my lower volume home amp... so I'm looking for a "dumble" pedal specifically for IT... which is why I was intrigued with the Holygrail, since one of the demos was into a Princeton!

Last edited:
That's how I think of it/hear it as well. My thing is, I'm not interested in stacking... I like standalone pedals to do what they do... no "help" needed. Just simpler that way for me.

Another thing... which is making this a tougher journey for me... this is for a PRRI. PRRI's do not take OD pedals well. I've had several pedals over the years that do the "creamy yet not muddy" thing, into various amps.... Fulldrive 2, Mythical OD (klone), Mesa Flux Drive, quite a few.... but the PRRI is VERY picky. The PRRI is my lower volume home amp... so I'm looking for a "dumble" pedal specifically for IT... which is why I was intrigued with the Holygrail, since one of the demos was into a Princeton!
Let me speak on that for a minute. I worked with like my pedals last year to develop a standalone pedal that’s never been done before. Who can say that these days??? Anyhow, it’s basically Derek trucks in a box. I can’t really say it’s an amp in a box because it does work differently with 6l6 and el34, the only thing it does not like is pedals pushing into it, which most don’t, but works well after it. I use it when I’m not playing in my band. It’s a 2 stage pedal in a single enclosure size. The second stage is a clean/dirty boost that works independent to the drive. There’s an order switch but I always set the drive to go into the boost then set it with a little dirt on the boost. It is the only pedal I will ever gig with that’s standalone and sings with single coils. Absolutely amazing tone. You would think you had a les Paul gold top and running a middle pickup on a strat. It’s called the veil and I highly recommend not listening to the demo he had made. The guy just bangs out power chords and it just sounds horrible, completely unlike what it does. I have a few videos myself if you need it but I can say with 100% assurity that it will work with that Princeton. Let me know if you need a video link. The best is the one I posted with nothing other than my 70s strat and a classic 30. I set the pedal on the amp and used my volume which is what I don’t ever do. Works absolutely beautiful that way. As far as stacking I hated the idea because this don’t work with that and so on. The way I have my main board set up I found my base clean tone and then use various pedals to build afterwards. Took quite a while to get here but I’ve come too far to completely change up so I work with what I got. I get the thick tones I’m after 100% of the time and after rehearsal last night I kicked myself for still looking for something. I guess Im only looking because my jtm don’t care for my current rig and I’m gonna move on with something different. Looking for more of that Eric steckel sound but at the same time bring it back to the cleanest I can get and that’s where my rig now falls short with those kt66 tubes. Can’t make a Marshall a fender but trying to see what works best

ruger9

Supporting Member
Can’t make a Marshall a fender but trying to see what works best
Well, I can tell you what pedal can make a Fender into a Marshall.... even the PRRI: JHS AT. True it's got a lot of low end, but I like that, for bridge pickups. It's too think to work well with neck pickups. But single coil or HB, that pedal can make a clean Fender roar like a Marshall. (and I believe the Angry Charlie, the pedal that was tweaked to make the AT, has a little less low end...)

Well, I can tell you what pedal can make a Fender into a Marshall.... even the PRRI: JHS AT. True it's got a lot of low end, but I like that, for bridge pickups. It's too think to work well with neck pickups. But single coil or HB, that pedal can make a clean Fender roar like a Marshall. (and I believe the Angry Charlie, the pedal that was tweaked to make the AT, has a little less low end...)
I’ve tried very hard to like jhs stuff. Same with Lovepedal but for some reason I just can’t bond with them. I teetered on a moonshine for a long time but I just can’t make their stuff work. Something always amiss. Funny story about jhs, the guy who owns it, josh I think, anyhow I had a pedal he wanted really bad for his showcase and offered to make me what I wanted. I told him I always wanted one of his klones but said he bill made him promise to never make another. Didn’t understand because no circuit is copyrighted. Maybe out of respect I suppose. Anyhow he bought the pedal on reverb under another name and i checked the shipping address, it was the jhs address that’s online. I just thought that was a little cheesy. Kinda like nick greer. He’s local here and I’ve reached out to him, caught him in a couple lies, or maybe they just don’t care if their story changes, not sure. I’ve tried to really like those guys’ stuff. Great pedals tho, but I personally just can’t bond with them.

Dashface

I am Wyzard, and I approve this message! I'm also a Hiwatt DR103 user; and paired DR112s, DR201 etc etc.....

Which Mks do you use?
Awesome. Nothing like an old Hiwatt for blowing the doors off by accident when you get the volume knob up to 1.5 :D

I've had Mks II, III, and IV... I actually just sold the last of them all except one: I kept an '82 Mk IIB which I adore. It is plenty loud enough for basically anything at all. I use it for bar gigs because the Hiwatts (even my short-stack, which is a 50w Hiwatt and a 1x12 that I put an old Fane in) are much, much too loud.

jumpnblues

Just buy a Mark series Mesa and be done.

I owned an early Mark II. Got it new around 1981 and owned it for about 10 years. I don't recall it sounding like a Dumble, if that's what you're alluding to. Although I've heard that comment before. So, maybe it's just my faulty aural memory.

Trending Topics