the best Fender Amp ever??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by thintele, Oct 15, 2005.

1. thintele

thintele Member

You always hear about the '59 Bassman the, 5E3 tweed Deluxe or how about the '65 Deluxe reverb...

What is the best sounding Fender amp you've ever heard?

Mine was a '53 tweed Pro...and yours?

2. duckbunny

duckbunny Supporting Member

3X10 5E7 Bandmaster...
    For me, hands down.

-db

3. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

4. guitguy28

guitguy28 Member

The best tone I ever heard out of a Fender amp was when I saw a live concert on tv of the Brian Setzer Orchestra at the Montreal Jazz Festival from 1997 or so.
    So that would have been his standard setup of Blonde Bassman heads through the 2x12 cabs, he sounded great with the Gretsch, of course- and there was also one point when he switched to a hollow Gibson of some sort, and it was a mellower tone that sounded amazing too.
    Of course, his playing was what made it so great... but that Bassman rig is about the best example of pure "tone" that I can think of.
    Personally, my own experience with what I consider to be the best Fender tone was when I tried out a Vibro-King at a store about six years ago or so. Mind you, I've never played through any of the older, classic Fender amps...
    My Pro Junior amp through my oversized 1x12 Cannabis Rex cab sounds great, but with the EL-84's I don't think it really fits into what most people think when they think "Fender" tone...

5. erksin

erksin Member

+1 - probably the best amp I've ever played through...

6. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Well, for me it's the 5E3 Deluxe andthe 5F6A Bassman, tweed and tweed. Don't get no better than that. Just doesn't.

7. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

I always remember my first real amp, a Blonde '62 Oxblood Bassman as being great. I was only 15 and did not know **** about taking care of anything. Had a speaker cable with a bad end and blew the transformer. My brother(who gave the amp to me, btw) lived in the city and said he would take it to have fixed. His house got broken into and it got stolen. ARRRRGGG. I bought another one a few years ago, but it had some mods done to it and was not a good one, so I sold it.

8. frank62

frank62 Member

without a doubt the blond/brownface bassman with the 2-12 cab. not only the best fender amp but maybe the best amp period.

9. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

'64 BF Super Reverb
    '65 BF Vibrolux

The Super had a bunch of tolex and grill tears. Beat to hell. But MAN that thing was smokin'. Had original JBL 10's in it.

Vibrolux looked as if it had sat inside a time capsule. Played it at a shop in Florida. Great, great tone.

10. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

11. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

heard up close and personal? A 60 something Deluxe reverb. THe guy was finger picking an old 335 straight into it. Clea n to slightly distorted with the guitars volume knob. Just wonderful.

cmn

12. alpep

alpep Member

62 brown princeton celestian bulldog copy

65 vibrolux with jbl's

13. hemlock

hemlock Guest

That there's a rare Fender!!!;)

14. hemlock

hemlock Guest

A buddy of mine has a real '59 Bassman that is just incredible. It sounds awesome with anything, but his 335 and LP are really special through it.

15. arriba

arriba Member

I am a Blackface guy, 65' Deluxe Reverb ! :)

[​IMG]

16. John Gossman

John Gossman Guest

A friend of mine, John Marx, has a 63' Vibrolux that sounds incredible. Of course John's a monster player but that amp is amazing. It made me sound better... one of those amps that inspire you to play outside your self.

17. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

I have a '63 Vibrolux too, and I'm rather fond of it. But the old 3x10 Bandmaster is probably my all-time fave.

18. jonleecourage

jonleecourage Member

19. KHK

KHK Silver Supporting Member

Sad story Duff.

+1 for the BFDR. It seems to get along with any guitar you plug into it and has a voice that really sings/sustains.

I have pretty much always been a Fender guy. In the past, I have owned quite a few of the older brown/white/black vintage models. The ones that I have kept are black faces - the deluxe and a twin reverb. The only bassman that I owned was a tweed 4 x 10 model that I didn't like/didn't use.

Not to derail but what do you bassman guys like about your amp as opposed to say a bandmaster or super of the same era? I never gigged with one and have no perspective.

20. bigroy

bigroy Member

5E3 Tweed Deluxe...