1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

the best Fender -meets-Marshall combo. Uh-boy......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by slotools, Feb 12, 2006.

1. slotools

slotools Member

Hmmmmm... Fargen Classic combo, Tone king meteor II, new fender amp super sonic, of course fuchs, lots of choices- I need a combo 1/12 style for easy transport- I could use a great clean amp with pedals but lets have some fun and expound the virtues of the dual personality breed amps. Must have superior clean and reverb.
    I have a new Maven Peal rg88 head which covers the tweed, blackface and marshall so great, but it is a head- do not wish to transport it since it is now a collectors item (rrrright.... it is just a little big and requires cab) just curious what you gentlemen believe would be the easiest to lug on a plane, and is around 25-50 watts maybe more (remember when "more" was better???)

2. carltonh

carltonh Member

The Pritchard Sword of Satori 1x12, which I also have owned for 2.5 years is the best I've heard for a Marshall + Fender sound, IMO noticeably better than the Rivera's I've tried that were advertized to do the same. Of course, it is not priced nor designed to be anybodies back up amp. It demands to be amp #1!

3. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Rivera R55
    Carr Slant 6V

5. slotools

slotools Member

I had a Bogner Shiva, heared great things about it-el34s 1x12 I just did not bond with it, just was not quite what I wanted at the gig. Yes could have improved for me with a speaker or tube tweak.

I still dream of that drippy clean fender fat and juicy sound when you can lean into it and wail. I know...."why dont I go and buy a small fender"- well I love the new tweed twin, just wished it was single speaker and tube reverb. not much love for the other Fender offerings.
    I would love to hear a tone king Meteor II, one is for sale at the emporium, but if I bought used, would have to be a smart deal.

6. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Tone King Imperial :dude

7. JAH

JAH Member

+ 1 on the Carr Slant 6V(with the updated gain channels)

8. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I was going to say Maven Peal haha but you already knew that!

9. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I can relate to not bonding with the EL34 Shiva.

What about the new Fender Supersonic?

I am not a huge fan of Tone King for fat Fender sound. It's more like a super glassy juicy THIN Fender sound. At least that is what my Tone King does.

And yeah, as always, the Rivera suggestion is sensible. I would suggest the R30/112 instead though, even Clubster '45 or '25. But there are a lot of Rivera combos in that neighborhood.

10. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Yep, the Dual Classic is a top contender. I used to own a Shiva... I'd take the Dual Classic in a heartbeat. In fact, I did.

11. alguit

alguit Guest

Here's another plug for the Carr Slant 6V-the clean channel is a really sweet BF Deluxe tone and the overdrive channel is a circuit based on an old 50-watt Marshall.

I loved it the way it came, but swapped out the stock speaker for a Scumback speaker and the Marshall side of the amp is even more pronounced (and the Fender side is still very "Fender-y".

Just be aware that getting reverb on the overdrive channel must be done as a custom order at an extra cost.

12. slotools

slotools Member

I am glad to hear the insight on the imperial- I like the fat juicy fender sound- for lead primarily- I had a samson era Cheiftain and it was icepicky for sure!!
    The Colonial gets good press, it is a big amp, I need small. One amusing story about the Colonial was a fellow gearpager started a thread about the virtues and glory of this amp, I called a Heritage dealership to obtain info, they were fresh out, but a customer of theirs had one for sale, The seller called me and lo and behold -it was the person singing the praises of the colonial on the ole GP. I know us amp buyers are a fickle bunch, but honeymoons should last a bit longer I would think.

definetely interested in the Fargen Dual- any feedback would be appreciated.

13. slotools

slotools Member

14. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

OK, here's my basic take on the Dual Classic, from my initial review back in June of '05 (honeymoon's over and I'm still in love):

"I went down to Sacramento earlier today to visit Ben and pick up my new Dual Classic head and cab setup — my second Fargen amp — and now, having had more than a few hours to get my bearings, I thought I'd share pics and first impressions.

I love this amp — no question, another Fargen masterpiece. The Dual Classic is a sleeper in Ben's amp line, and worthy of consideration by anyone looking for a killer BF Fender/Tweed/Early Marshall 'all-in-one' amp (if the cranked JTM45 style of OD floats your boat — a pedal would also take this up into later era tones).

This is a two 6L6, true dual channel amp with reverb — Ch. 1 is Ben's signature Blackface circuit with single volume and treble/bass, Ch. 2 is a hybrid Tweed Bassman/JTM45 with gain and master volume, and treble/mid/bass. Channel switching is achieved with an A/B/Y box. The 2x12 cab holds a V30 and G12H30 — a great setup for this amp.

This is a truly superb amp in every respect: the woodwork and construction, Ben's excellent circuit design and the flawless PTP wiring, killer looks, and of course, the amazing 3D tone that I love about Ben's amps.

The Blackface channel is the best Blackface you'd want to hear — rich and detailed, with great headroom and wonderfully saturated breakup when pushed. Ch. 2 is a versatile MV channel that can go from a straight Tweed Bassman to overdriven Tweed to a rockin' JTM45. Fat, tight, and punchy overdrive that soars, sings and growls.

I am already totally happy with this amp. It does everything I hoped (and knew) it would, and gives me a very versatile, incredibly toneful amp. I'm already calling it my "RSB — Ronnie–Stevie–Billy" amp, cause it can give me Ronnie Earl, SRV, and Billy Gibbons all in one amp — pretty dang cool. And it is a Fargen — Ben's amps overall have a very unique and soulful voice that I (obviously) can't get enough of. There is at least one more Fargen amp in my future..."

15. HeavyMetalNyge

HeavyMetalNyge Member

I'm impressed with my new Rivera Clubster 45 112 combo

16. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

17. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

My fave 2 channel amps (Fender/Marshall):
    ...I own both of them currently.

Bogner Shiva EL34 head w/reverb
    Tone King Meteor II head w/ 212 cab.

I'm currently using the Tone King cab with both heads, and the Shiva sounds great through the TK cab. Bogner 212 open back on the way, though.

The 2nd channel of the TK is more tweed than Marshall at the volumes I play at. I would not call the cleans on my TK Meteor II thin...far from it.

The cleans on the Shiva, as has been pointed out here, have both Fender and Marshall qualities...a very good thing indeed.

I had band practice last nite with the Shiva head/TK212cab rig, using a PRS Custom 24 20th anniversary...glorious overdrive tones and no pedals in sight. The 1st channel (clean) of the Bogner loves pedals, but I just dont need them.

My .02,
    S.
    j

18. blong

blong Supporting Member

Try to find a Rivera Rake. It has great Fender clean to slightly pushed tones and a damned good Marshall channel. Depending on the settings I can dial in a classic JTM 45, Plexi, or JCM 800 type tones. Also, each channel has a boost that gives a bump in volume and a little grit. One of the best purchases I have made in an amp. They are discontinued, but if you find one, jump on it. After that, just about any Rivera amp covers that territory, some better at one tone or another, but all pretty close. Probably a second choice would be a Rivera Jake, the combo version of the Rake.

Bob

19. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

Broken record time...Kendrick K-Spot.

It "sounds" like exactly what you're describing. Superb blackface, tweed, and marshall voices (dependent on volume). 1x12", 35lbs, 35W, incredible unique reverb circuit (the very best IMO). Just the right amount of headroom and power for almost any gig. Fane Alnico speaker. This is a beautiful sounding amp, try one at your first chance.

20. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Silver Supporting Member

Mesa Boogie Road King- Channel 1, set for 4 6L6's, fat voicing. Glorious Fender headroom but it'll break up, too.

Channel 2- 2 EL-34's, brit voicing. Look out Angus.

Channels 3 and 4- more of the same with different voicing or you can dial in the "metal" tones that Boogie is famous for.